Cozumel this July

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Well, finally worked out hotel reservations in bueatiful Cozumel this July.

(Each summer I take my three nieces for a couple week trip in the A-36. Last year was Dallas; Madison, WI; Norfolk, VA; Marathon Fl--big left turn to Treasure Cay, Bahamas; Nassau; Fort Pierce, Orlando, Mobile, Dallas, Silsbee, TX; Dallas; Madison and return).

This year looks like Dallas, Madison area--Portage, New Orleans; 3 1/2 hours over the gulf to Cozumel, some local flying, Key West, Orlando, Mobile, Dallas. We may work Gastons in for an intermediate stop.

Staying at the El Cozumeleno Beach Resort for a week. Lance suggested Cliff diving. We may fly over to Tulan and see the ruins. Any other suggestions are very welcome!!

:cheerio:

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Cliff Diving? I have been to Cozy several times and have never seen cliffs to dive from. Anyway. Plan a day over on the other side of the island and go to coconuts. Awsom view and great open air bar. Rent a car and spend a day on that side of the island swimming and bar hopping. If you rent a car buy the insurance. Your credit card insurance is no good on the island. If you have an accident it will always be your fault. You will have to sit in the jail until someone pays the fine. No court system as we know it. Very simple. Someone admits to the problem and a fine is payed and away you go. Otherwise you sit in jail and get some real local interaction. Been their done that. Buying insurance take care of all that.

July will be very hot! My wife and I are avid divers and love the island.
Here is a link to decide some of the things to do
http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/lodgingreviews/general.html
Sunday nights on the town square is where the locals go. Live music,venders,hanging out. ect.
Great places to eat are endless. I hope you did not get an all inclusive.
The food served at the inclusive resorts is very so so.
Some of the best places to eat can be found just roaming the streets in town.
There is no crime in Cozy. It is safe anytime day or night to roam about. It is a different world in cozumel. The people are very friendly. Respect tourists and demand respect as well. Never be afraid to walk anywhere! No crime.

The tourist traps are along the water front. The cruse ships own most of the shops along the water. Stuff can be very pricy compaired to the shops just a couple of blocks back off the water. The water front area will be very busy when the ships are in port and the prices will be higher than when the ships are out. Do your spending on sundays when there are no ships in port.
Diving! The best place in the world! Cozumel is to diving as Orlando is to Disney. If you have never dived before this is the place to at least try it. You can get a "resort dive". for about $50 to $75 you will get training and and a reef dive that you will never forget. Email me if you are intrested and I will hook you up with a great dive master.
Have fun and stay cool.

Jbeckley said:
Cliff Diving? I have been to Cozy several times and have never seen cliffs to dive from.
July will be very hot! My wife and I are avid divers and love the island.

If memory serves me correctly the "cliff diving" being referred to in that post were underwater cliffs with real diving.

Barry

Yes, diving down a cliff where one just kind of drifts. Lance mentioned it to me and I had the same response.

Thanks for the tips. I've done some diving but this sounds like a real kick. My nieces have snorkeled a little and are strong swimmers. Looking forward to taking them diving.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Dave,

Any issues with flying in Mexico? This has always intimidated me as I've heard horror stories about planes beign arbirtrarily "impounded" and a hefty fee involved for getting the plane back.

Anthony said:
Dave,

Any issues with flying in Mexico? This has always intimidated me as I've heard horror stories about planes beign arbirtrarily "impounded" and a hefty fee involved for getting the plane back.

Anthony:

I've not heard of that occurring at the major points of entry/exit. If you can substantiate something, please let me know. The folks at AOPA didn't seem to think it's an issue; nor did several Bonanza pilots I know. They have mentioned it can be a problem in Baja and several planes that carry large loads have been broken into.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

We are leaving April 1 to go to Hotel Serenidad on the Baja peninsula. We will land at Guaymas to do the Mexico customs thing. Going with a group of 5 aircraft leaving LRU. One of the guys on the tour goes down there all the time
and has had no issues. Have fun in Cozumel, been there, dove there, nice.
Don

My issues have to do with re-entry into the USA, where you are treated as a returning felon until proven otherwise. Really. Sigh.

In the early 90s upon our return from Cabo in a Cessna 205, we were "requested" to comply with an aircraft inspection by two inspectors wearing long sleeved jackets in the 105 degree sun. My partner in the a/c, a municipal vice guy, simply said, 'OK but no long sleeves" and he started filming. Sure enough there was a little packet of white stuff "found" on the floor.

Spread eagled on the pavement, he was given his one call. It was to his Chief. Two hours later, "all was forgiven" and we were off. Partner did not press "planting" charges. The two Customs guys are still working at Douglas, AZ to this day. Partner said, "they may be at my back someday".

Sheesh. All for the Seizure Bonus. The problems are not all in the third world. We are becoming the third world, I theenk.

Last edited:
Geesh Bruce:

You do seem to have your share of encounters. I'll be returning through Key West--at least that's the plan. Several friends have told me they've gone through there and not had issues. Having three vibrant, enchanting nieces with me seems to have helped a few places in the past.

Guess we'll see.

Best,

Dave

Don Jones said:
We are leaving April 1 to go to Hotel Serenidad on the Baja peninsula. We will land at Guaymas to do the Mexico customs thing. Going with a group of 5 aircraft leaving LRU. One of the guys on the tour goes down there all the time
and has had no issues. Have fun in Cozumel, been there, dove there, nice.
Don

Thanks for the good wishes Don. Please let us know how your trip goes. I'll be flying right over you tomorrow on the way to San Diego from Dallas.

Best,

Dave

Back