Cowl Cover for winter

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
I go to several basketball games during the winter and was wondering if I bought a cowl cover and put it on after I landed if it would keep my oil temp warm for 3 or 4 hours while I was at the game? (say temps around 20) I have a engine heater but this would be much simpler if it would work.

If the wind isn't too bad it will.

Make sure all openings are closed. A little wind and an opening and it will be stone cold in an hour.

I go to several basketball games during the winter and was wondering if I bought a cowl cover and put it on after I landed if it would keep my oil temp warm for 3 or 4 hours while I was at the game? (say temps around 20) I have a engine heater but this would be much simpler if it would work.

none of the covers will keep your engine warm for 3-4 hours, Kennons are the best.

none of the covers will keep your engine warm for 3-4 hours, Kennons are the best.

How 'bout a couple of moving blankets appropriately wrapped around and strapped in place? Would that offer more insulation?

How 'bout a couple of moving blankets appropriately wrapped around and strapped in place? Would that offer more insulation?

You don't see the Alaskan pilots doing it

When we lived where there was winter, Mary made cowl covers for our planes out of cheap sleeping bags, and some velcro straps.

They made a HUGE difference when parked on the ramp. We could easily go somewhere for dinner, and come back to the plane without needing to preheat. The covers were always dark colored fabric, and if the sun was shining this made a big difference as well.

If you know anyone with a sewing machine, it really is a simple job. Lay the sleeping bag on the cowl, and cut it to fit. Using safety pins, pin it together so it fits snugly, and then sew velcro straps on the bottom.

Sew the parts together, and you're done -- for less than thirty bucks.

It will definitely slow down the cooling, but by how much, you would have to try it out and see. Anything to help keep the heat in will help.

I was lucky and found a like new Kennon insulated engine cover for my bonanza. I kept it when I sold the bonanza and now use it on my chipmunk. You never know what might turn up on ebay. The nice thing about it, at least on the bonanza, is that it fit perfectly. As far as keeping the engine warm for 3 or 4 hours, I don't know but it will do more than nothing.

Last edited:
You don't see the Alaskan pilots doing it

What do the Alaskan pilots do?

When I went to northern Quebec this past January with the 310, I brought sleeping bags (covered the engines, plugged the cowl holes) and long extension cords to plug in the Tanis heaters. Both engines started on the second blade. This was also -20F out.

Back in the early '80's I flew a Cessna 404 on a nightly freight run. I arrived in Little Rock at 11pm and left at 4:30am. In the middle of winter we had engine plugs and engine blankets that we installed after arriving.

On nights when the temps were in the 20's when I preflighted for my am departure the engines were still warm and started easily.

We also had prop blankets (blanket material sleeves with Velcro for each blade). This helped to keep the blades from acting as heat sinks and siphon heat from the engine.

Last edited:
What do the Alaskan pilots do?

When I went to northern Quebec this past January with the 310, I brought sleeping bags (covered the engines, plugged the cowl holes) and long extension cords to plug in the Tanis heaters. Both engines started on the second blade. This was also -20F out.

We cheapskate almost everything else but buy nice engine and wing covers.

Wrap a Kennon up tight in twenty degree weather for three hours? Might not be toasty afterwards but probably still safe to start. As mentioned prop blade covers help even more.

We also had prop blankets (blanket material sleeves with Velcro for each blade). This helped to keep the blades from acting as heat sinks and siphon heat from the engine.

Never thought of that one. Makes sense though.

Can you get them in sizes to fit over the chains on the prop when the chain laws are in effect crossing the Rockies? ;) ;) ;)

When I was flying a Navajo in bush Alaska, engine covers were required equipment to carry along on flights (well, by me - don't think the company cared all that much at the time). Didn't have to use them all that often, since I'd try to do mostly quick-turns, but for anything longer than about 15 minute stops they worked great. I think the longest I used them for was about 3 hrs, in -20F temps (calm wind). I was surprised to see that the temp guages were still above the lower stops, and the engines started just fine. With more wind, they'd be less effective, of course.

If you have Tanis electric heaters you can keep plugged in, the engine covers should be good overnight.

As an extra bonus, you can also use them for survival blankets, should the need (hopefully not) arise.

We cheapskate almost everything else but buy nice engine and wing covers.

Wrap a Kennon up tight in twenty degree weather for three hours? Might not be toasty afterwards but probably still safe to start. As mentioned prop blade covers help even more.

And the nose cover too. Afterall, you get a runny, snotty nose in really cold weather, right? Why should the airplane?

And the nose cover too. Afterall, you get a runny, snotty nose in really cold weather, right? Why should the airplane?

Yah.

http://www.alaskawingcovers.com/Spinners_Props.htm

Or

http://www.kennoncovers.com/enginecovers.htm

My plane lives outside all winter, mostly with the wing, tail and cowl covers installed all the time. Year five on this set of Kennons and other than being slightly sun faded they are in great shape.

Alaska wing covers' stuff is lighter but as Tom said I think Kennon insulates the best.

I had a insulated cowl covers for my 150 and 172. I used an electric car warmer and had it blowing down on the oil tank in the 150 and with the 172 I used to stuff it through the cowl opening before putting on the cowl cover. I would fly as cold as -35. No problems starting up the plane as long as the heater had been running at least 2 hours. Now I won't even consider flying if it is more than -10.

I think without the heater an engine should stay warm for an hour or 2 if you snug up the straps real good.

Back