Covergirl

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
One of my photos made the cover of the NCDOT Aviation Calendar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hpnflygirl/3350842505/

I didn't even realize that NCDOT had a photo contest until Halloween. The photo was to be postmarked by 11/01/08. Lucky me I was headed to NC Wings Weekend the next day so I turned in my photo then. To my surprise my friend stopped by my office and gave me 2 copies. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. He called me later and told me my picture didn't make the cover of the calendar because I have friends out at Aviation, but because I AM a DAMN GOOD photographer. :yesnod:

Brook, Congratulations! That's quite an honor. Good for you and keep up the great work. I think you just may have found your niche in aviation.

Well deserved!

(I have to wonder, though, who is their target audience for the calendars. Anyone who isn't in aviation probably isn't familiar with that monument.)

Wohoo!! Way to go Brook. Aviation photographer extraordinaire!! :thumbsup::happydance:

Nice Pic! As an aside, I wonder if naming the aviation department DoA was such a good idea... lol

Nice picture. Congratulations!

...I give up. What is it?
You have not been to the holy land or else you would have recognized it!!

That is the first flight memorial at Kitty Hawk. It is on a hill that overlooks the place where the Wright Brother first took to the skies in powered flight.

Do get there one day. The trip is really worth it. You can even fly in as there is a nice airstrip there. No services on the field but there is an unmanned FBO with WX. Manteo is the nearest full service airport.

Last edited:
You're right, I haven't...haven't been further east in NC than Raleigh.

Do get there one day. The trip is really worth it. You can even fly in as there is a nice airstrip there. No services on the field but there is an unmanned FBO with WX. Manteo is the nearest full service airport.
I want to do that, for sure. When I'll get to is another matter entirely.

Last edited:
You're right, I haven't...haven't been further east in NC than Raleigh.

I hope you can go one day. It is worth it, and the trip is one of the five pillars of aviation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShahadaShaNaNa - Profession of the love of all things that fly

Salad - what you will never order at an airport restaurant

ZakakaWOW - paying of alms to the aviation mechanics, insurance agents, and FBOs

Sawim - What your bladder does on all long cross countries.

Hajacool! - Visiting Kitty Hawk

:rofl: :rofl:

w00t!!! Very nice! Congrats Brook!

BTW, yes I have ordered my Rosie calender.

:D

One of my photos made the cover of the NCDOT Aviation Calendar. ...snip...
Nice PIX them all. Congrats on the cover.

That is the first flight memorial at Kitty Hawk. It is on a hill that overlooks the place where the Wright Brother first took to the skies in powered flight.

At night, the top of the monument has a rotating beacon similar to one in a lighthouse to make it more functional. This can be seen from most of the island at night. The FBO was built and paid for by AOPA members! It opened during 2003 as part of the Century of Flight celebration. Access is by a keypad. There's a weather station computer and a web browser. A few reference books are there. (Being AOPA, there's a lot of self promotional material.) The airport is FFA.
Definitely worth a trip. Access to the park is free for pilots and guests that arrive by plane (and seniors with a golden agers pass!).

Back