Couple of dumb random questions

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I have a few random questions for no reason in particular:

What would happen to a plane without a vertical stabilizer?

Since there is no licensing requirements for an ultralight, are there rules that govern their use?

Can an ultralight be landed anywhere, legally?

What would be a good shape and material for a wing to provide maximum lift with minimal surface area and minimal weight?

Are there any certification requirements for an Ultralight to be airworthy?

Would a bicycle tire/wheel be strong enough to support the weight of a bicycle during a firm plant of maybe 30+ feet?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

NickDBrennan said:
Depends on whether it has an alternative means of yaw stabilization and control. If it's a B-2, it's no problem, as it has differential drag devices to fill those functions. If it's an A300-600, it crashes and burns (search on American Airlines Flight 587). If it's your plane, it's probably more like an A300 than a B-2.

Since there is no licensing requirements for an ultralight, are there rules that govern their use?
Yes, there are. See Part 103 of the FAR's.

Ultralights are not permitted in Class B/C/D airspace, Class E surface airspace, or anywhere that radio comm is required, so airports in those areas and with towers are out without prior ATC permission. Other than that, it's like all other aircraft -- outside of emergencies, you have to have the landowner's permission.

What would be a good shape and material for a wing to provide maximum lift with minimal surface area and minimal weight?
Dunno. I'm a pilot, not an Aero Engineer.

No.

Would a bicycle tire/wheel be strong enough to support the weight of a bicycle during a firm plant of maybe 30+ feet?
Dunno. Having seen some of the stunts that the X-gamers do on bikes, I suspect that the right bicycle tire/wheel assembly might take that. OTOH, I've seen ordinary bicycle wheels/tires fail under far less stressful impacts.

NickDBrennan said:
I have a few random questions for no reason in particular:

I assume you mean lost it when originally designed to have one, as there are flying wings without a horizontal stab? If the assumption is correct, then:

Sitting on the ramp? Not much. :) In flight? Pitch nose down, hard, due to two factors: lift differences between magnitude and center of lift postilion of top versus bottom airfoil (bottom center of lift is normally behind and greater than top center of lift which results in nose downward twisting moment), and CG versus center of lift displacement (CG is forward of center of lift, again resulting in a nose downward twisting moment).

See 14CFR103.

See 14CFR103.

Titanium for the material; perhaps some things even more exotic. The optimum airfoil shape will depend on the design speed.

Weight, seat #, speed, horsepower, and probably one I missed are restricted in order to be classified as an ultralight. See 14CFR103. However, there is no "airworthy" status, per se.

"Firm plant" onto what kind of slope? Standard production design or do I get to put some ME's on the project for a use specific design? I wouldn't bet on your average bicycle rim/tire in a straight 30' drop to a flat surface, especially if there is a rider involved.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I have one: What are you contemplating?

BTW, the above done while sleep deprived, so errors are not unlikely. Please be kind. :rolleyes:

Ed Guthrie said:
errors are not unlikely. Please be kind.

Absolutely. If you will be kind, in turn, about errors to any corrections we offer! :)

I think Nick said Vstab. Were you talking Hstab? I learned from the answer in any case.

NickDBrennan said:

Feathers.

Brian Austin said:
Maybe Nick is thinking of a trailer for your Mooney on the upcoming Gaston's trip? :D

lol - no, but that is kind of intriguing......

Michael said:
Feathers.

I'm assuming I'd have to attach the feather's to something tho, right? A bag of feathers unattached to an airframe would probably just fly away :)

Ok - another question. What do you think it would take to make a wing that could fold up into nothing, but still retain it's ability to produce lift while extended?

NickDBrennan said:
Ok - another question. What do you think it would take to make a wing that could fold up into nothing, but still retain it's ability to produce lift while extended?

If I was doing an ultralight project like that at the lightest weight and easiest dissassembly possible, I'd do the wings out of a Mylar/Kevlar sail cloth, and Carbon Fiber batons and spar. As to the foil shape, that depends on your target weight/speed/power.

As to bicycle wheels, if you go with some top end 20" BMX wheels, they should handle it, it's the tires that would concern me. Roll it on reasonably smooth, Ok, drop it in, ehhh....

The vertical stab issue? You need one to control Yaw, unless you do like the B2 and split the ailerons. I think vertstab/rudder is a much simpler way to effect this.

NickDBrennan said:

Peter Garrison did an article in "Flying" that basically said it is straightforward to compute the size and strength of a pin or bolt required to hold a folding wing in the extended position during flight. I've not read flying in a few years so you would have to look back to, say, 2003 and prior.

Len

Let'sgoflying! said:
I think Nick said Vstab. Were you talking Hstab? I learned from the answer in any case.

Well would you look at that. I told you I was sleep deprived.:dunno:

Before the B2, Jack Northrop dreamed of a flying wing. He came up with several different versions ending in a 4 engine jet version before the project was canceled. His biggest problem (which still exists with the B2) was stability. The B2 flies with the help of computers to help stabalize it. Back in the 50's, Northrop didn't have that.
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/northrop.html
Northrop was a man years ahead of time.

NickDBrennan said:

Burt Rutan

Back