Couple Foreflight Qs

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
Does Foreflight take into account magnetic variation? Doesn't seem like it.
Does it calculate the wind correction? Using the flight chart and manually working up a course, and using the E6B. I am coming up with different results.

I can not seem to find the answers to these sort of questions in the manual, or online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does Foreflight take into account magnetic variation? Doesn't seem like it.
Does it calculate the wind correction? Using the flight chart and manually working up a course, and using the E6B. I am coming up with different results.

I can not seem to find the answers to these sort of questions in the manual, or online.

I think GPS does take into account magnetic variation and the FF wind engine claculates your GS based on winds aloft but a wind correction angle doesn't show up on your nav log. You just have the magnetic heading for your course. Matching your Track to the Desired Track automatically corrects for winds aloft.

Does Foreflight take into account magnetic variation?
Yes.
Does it calculate the wind correction?
Yes, when it has access to wind data, i.e., when you're hooked to WiFi or the cellular data feed is active. You'll see in the lower left corner of the pull-down flight log next to the total flight time whether or not it is using winds.
Using the flight chart and manually working up a course, and using the E6B. I am coming up with different results.
You may be using a more or less sophisticated system than FF uses to compute the data.

Yes.
Yes, when it has access to wind data, i.e., when you're hooked to WiFi or the cellular data feed is active. You'll see in the lower left corner of the pull-down flight log next to the total flight time whether or not it is using winds.
You may be using a more or less sophisticated system than FF uses to compute the data.

Using the plotter, and SEC, I come up with 47 TH, subtract the 11E, I come up with 36. The winds showing from the winds aloft at Gaithersburg are 316@8 for 3000. These winds are off of foreflight. I am using 3500 as my altitude, so I should be able to use the 3000 winds. I am using 100kt as my air speed. On paper I come up with 10 degrees to the left, and a 95kt ground speed. Foreflight, is telling me 47 heading, with a 2kt tailwind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The wind that it uses for calculations will be at the cruise altitude you have entered in the aircraft profile, not the surface wind. I don't know if that's what is throwing you off, but I thought I'd point it out.

Just a tip for you (not really realed to this post)

If you are flying from KLEB to KGFL in two hours, expect to burn 9.5gph, and travel at 117 knots, 4500 feet.

You can put into the search bar "KLEB KGFL +120 9.5 117 4500", and it will calculate that route. The +120 will calculate it for two hours from now, and use the simulated winds for that time.

Using the plotter, and SEC, I come up with 47 TH, subtract the 11E, I come up with 36. The winds showing from the winds aloft at Gaithersburg are 316@8 for 3000. These winds are off of foreflight. I am using 3500 as my altitude, so I should be able to use the 3000 winds. I am using 100kt as my air speed. On paper I come up with 10 degrees to the left, and a 95kt ground speed. Foreflight, is telling me 47 heading, with a 2kt tailwind.
The magnetic variation is 11W.
You're adding the opposite variation conversion.

The wind that it uses for calculations will be at the cruise altitude you have entered in the aircraft profile, not the surface wind. I don't know if that's what is throwing you off, but I thought I'd point it out.

I was definitely using cruise altitude, read from Foreflight.

When I see my flight instructor(uses foreflight), and see if she can help determine the discrepancy.

If it were a few degrees difference I would not be concerned, but the gap is just to wide.

I was definitely using cruise altitude, read from Foreflight.

When I see my flight instructor(uses foreflight), and see if she can help determine the discrepancy.

If it were a few degrees difference I would not be concerned, but the gap is just to wide.

So I used to do this as well when I first entered College for software development.

I would do something that seemed fairly easy, yet the result from the compiled code would not be what I expected. I would look over it several times, and then go talk to the TA and explain that I might have found a bug in the compiler. We quickly showed me where my mistake was.

A few years later, I was the TA, and at least a dozen kids did the same thing to me. I showed them there mistake, and that was that.

Foreflight is right. You just need to figure out where your mistake is.

So I used to do this as well when I first entered College for software development.

I would do something that seemed fairly easy, yet the result from the compiled code would not be what I expected. I would look over it several times, and then go talk to the TA and explain that I might have found a bug in the compiler. We quickly showed me where my mistake was.

A few years later, I was the TA, and at least a dozen kids did the same thing to me. I showed them there mistake, and that was that.

Foreflight is right. You just need to figure out where your mistake is.

This is what I am wondering. Where would I be going wrong?

The magnetic variation is 11W.
You're adding the opposite variation conversion.

DagNamit!! I knew this too. I was sitting here at work just now reading the Captain Zulu Pilot Reference. And, I just realized my mistake. I came on to say, "Aha, I figured it Out", and then there is the post to look at your post.

New Rule of Thumb for me. No practice flight planning, late at night, when I am tired.

I saw 11E, and so I went east. Not West!

Ok here's a question:

On the iPad, after touch planning a route in the map screen you can touch the send to button at top and then select file and plan.

But on the iPhone there doesn't seem to be a way to directly populate a flight plan for filing with the data you just meticulously used touch planning to develop, from the map screen. You have to copy and paste the info from the search box in the map screen to the search box in the home screen to get the nav log view with the option to 'send to'>'file & brief'?

Or am I missing something? Seems clunky.

Ok here's a question:

On the iPad, after touch planning a route in the map screen you can touch the send to button at top and then select file and plan.

But on the iPhone there doesn't seem to be a way to directly populate a flight plan for filing with the data you just meticulously used touch planning to develop, from the map screen. You have to copy and paste the info from the search box in the map screen to the search box in the home screen to get the nav log view with the option to 'send to'>'file & brief'?

I don't have an iphone. But, foreflight on the iphone is much better then the cheesy foreflight version they have for the android. No flight planning period. Just basic weather, and winds.

Ok here's a question:

There are some differences on iPhone due to limited screen space.

You can do it from the Route screen with the "Send To" button, bottom right.

Build route in map screen if you like. Select it, copy, exit back to opening screen, select text box, paste, then you're at the route screen and Send To.

Clunky, but can be done.

uvu7a2u2.jpg

There are some differences on iPhone due to limited screen space.

You can do it from the Route screen with the "Send To" button, bottom right.

Build route in map screen if you like. Select it, copy, exit back to opening screen, select text box, paste, then you're at the route screen and Send To.

Clunky, but can be done.

uvu7a2u2.jpg

Yes that is what I found. But there's five function buttons on the map screen. Sounds like a feature request to add file and brief to one of the existing buttons is in my future.

Back