Count Down To My (OMG) C-130 Flight

Sounds great Kim!

I rode alot on C130's when I was in the Army. At that time, the LAST thing I wanted to do was fly on a C130 with the ramp open. That meant it was a jump. This kid doesn't jump out of an operational airplane!:nono:

:rofl: :yes:

I was at an event in Maine standing in line for pancakes (in my flight suit) and I was asked asked what I was flying. I said "C-130" The nice lady loading my plate said, "Oh how nice, but isn't that a little small for your job?? ".... :D

Sure, compared to an AN-225.

Sounds great Kim!

I rode alot on C130's when I was in the Army. At that time, the LAST thing I wanted to do was fly on a C130 with the ramp open. That meant it was a jump. This kid doesn't jump out of an operational airplane!:nono:

Don't worry, like most pilots I'm not about to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

2 hrs is short for a C-130 flight.

I have flown in a few other mil transport aircraft, but not a C-130. Most folks I know who have did not enjoy the experience riding in them as PAX, but they were all 5+ hour flights in the Arabian Gulf/East Africa region.

I'm sure you'll have a good time....just dress warmly and you may want foamies to put in your ears underneath any hearing protection/headset they give you.

Thanks, they have the foamies (saw them attached to the inside of the plane) and I'll bring my PNR just in case they don't hand out over the ear noise proof headsets. I don't know what I'll do with my useless mic and cords though.

Well there you go then. Sounds awesome, among a rich tradition of awesome leadership decisions on the blue side

Last meeting I kept hearing "the gold side" and "the silver side". Apparently we call active USCG people "the gold side" and we are "the silver side". It will take me a while to learn all the lingo.

ICS-100, 200, and/or 700? Won't take five hours. Pretty easy. Same requirement in CAP. Easy coursework.

Harder stuff is taught in classroom settings and usually it's best to hunt around for courses funded by State or local agencies, or it gets expensive very fast. Especially for volunteers.

(Ironic that States know the Federal management stuff is required for so many staff, the States end up paying the Federal instructors, eh? Heh.)

Welcome to pseudo-military volunteerism! There's more silly stuff ahead... And a little fun thrown in from time to time. :)

Have fun in the Herk.

Yes, I have to take FEMA - 100 and 700. Then an all day "boating safety class" like the public can pay for - this one probably ABS

If a C-130 is smaller than a C-150, how small is a C-5?

Just wondering. 26 times smaller than a C-130?

Let me see if I can find my pictures of the C-5 I boarded at the Travis Air Force Base (it was in the hangar for maintenance and EVERYTHING was flagged inop). I had to walk up MANY ladders to get to the cockpit. In my C150 there aren't any ladders.

Last meeting I kept hearing "the gold side" and "the silver side". Apparently we call active USCG people "the gold side" and we are "the silver side". It will take me a while to learn all the lingo.

Welcome to 'class warfare'... get used to it.... as it is rampant..... Bite your tongue and enjoy the weekend ma'am..

Welcome to 'class warfare'... get used to it.... as it is rampant..... Bite your tongue and enjoy the weekend ma'am..

Don't worry I'm not going to do anything stupid. Well I guess I should change that to "I've already learned a few lessons the hard way in the past few months about what to say and what not to say."

Oh and if anyone calls me ma'am I will kick them. Somebody called a person at our meeting "sir" and he laughed and said "call me Victor."

OK........ miss. :D The few times I had anything to do with Auxiliary types they were relaxed but very competent. Have a ball.

Or you can just call me Kimberly. Or Kim. Good to hear the Aux types you met were OK. I'm going through a lot now but it is just beginner stuff. Different people answer with different answers, my email is wrong in the system, I'm still waiting on paperwork, etc. But that's the govt and not the people's fault. All in all it is good.

Kim, Congrats that is just Awesome. I know I don't have to tell you to take plenty of photos!

Found it. Picture of the Pilatus I almost got to fly in over the weekend.

So far I've sat in the co-pilot seat but that was at night on the ground with AUX power. Haven't been in the plane during a flight. They fly either single pilot or two pilots. Depends.

8186253422_95caba60f4_c.jpg

So far I've sat in the co-pilot seat but that was at night on the ground with AUX power. Haven't been in the plane during a flight. They fly either single pilot or two pilots. Depends.

You'll find it just a bit heavier and slower in response than the 152.....but you may notice quicker acceleration on the runway and slightly higher climb speeds and rates.....:D A friend has a PC-12 which I have flown in quite a bit while he was building hours for insurance, (it is his first turbine machine), and it is a great travelling machine.

Kim.. Tell me about those hangar doors... Are they in 3' or so segments?. top rollers ? bottom rollers?

Thanks, I just did 30 mins of aerobatics in Nevada so I doubt I'll be airsick. Don't think it is possible. I've been on rough seas when others were throwing up too and I was fine.

I hope so. One of my boots used that same line one me, right before he lost his lunch on a flight once.

Kim.. Tell me about those hangar doors... Are they in 3' or so segments?. top rollers ? bottom rollers?

I have no idea.

Do you really want me to find out? We have our monthly dinner tonight and a few times we have all ended up after the party in the Pilatus hangar.

Why do you ask?

Let me see if I can find my pictures of the C-5 I boarded at the Travis Air Force Base (it was in the hangar for maintenance and EVERYTHING was flagged inop). I had to walk up MANY ladders to get to the cockpit. In my C150 there aren't any ladders.

Yeah, I've been on a C-5 flight deck.

It amazes me how much more room they have up there than on a 747.

An airliner/transport being worked on will have hundreds or thousands of little breaker clips and INOP tags all over the place.

I have no idea.

Do you really want me to find out? We have our monthly dinner tonight and a few times we have all ended up after the party in the Pilatus hangar.

Why do you ask?
I am getting close to building my hangar and finding a door I like has been a rather interesting journey..... If ya get down there just look to see if the door is suspended from the top or rolls on the bottom, or both... How light are the panels? Etc...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am getting close to building my hangar and finding a door I like has been a rather interesting journey..... If ya get down there just look to see if the door is suspended from the top or rolls on the bottom, or both... Who light are the panels? Etc...
Thanks in advance.

1. What does "who light are the panels" mean?

2. The hangar is on the other end and I've only been inside twice in 2 years. I don't know if I will have that chance tonight. Sorry. Time will tell.

1. What does "who light are the panels" mean?

2. The hangar is on the other end and I've only been inside twice in 2 years. I don't know if I will have that chance tonight. Sorry. Time will tell.

I meant how light, as in weight.. I can't speel ya know.:nonod:

Ben, they are called stack doors and work very well. They roll on rollers top and bottom I think. They are easy to open but a little troublesome in wind. A large hangar here has them, and the mechanics think they're ok but they have to plan if the weather is going to be bad. We considered getting some for the hangar we thought we'd build a couple years age. Just google stack hangar doors and you can find out what you need to know.

Ben, they are called stack doors and work very well. They roll on rollers top and bottom I think. They are easy to open but a little troublesome in wind. A large hangar here has them, and the mechanics think they're ok but they have to plan if the weather is going to be bad. We considered getting some for the hangar we thought we'd build a couple years age. Just google stack hangar doors and you can find out what you need to know.

Thanks ma'am.. I will google them....

I've got a whole lot of hours in a C-130, as cargo, not on the flight deck. It is one heck of an airplane. For what we used it for, it was hands down our favorite, over the C-119s, C-123s, or C-124s

-John

Thanks ma'am.. I will google them....

I went ahead and asked last night. We did not have access to the hangar but the airport manager said what Jeanie said:

1. Tracks on top and bottom (different kinds)

2. Bolts every 3 feet that latch into the ground through a spring system that runs up and down the length of the doors and you turn it

3. Manual, not power fed

4. I think the name Jeanie used is correct

5. How would I know the weight of the doors? I'm no superman.

BAD NEWS.

LAST NIGHT I GOT A VOICEMAIL DUE TO THE FACT I WAS IN A MONTHLY PILOT MEETING.

THE C130 FLIGHT IS OFF. HE DIDN'T SAY WHY BECAUSE I'M ATTENDING AVIATION ORIENTATION / TRAINING ON SATURDAY AND HE WILL BE THERE AND HE WILL EXPLAIN IT TO ME THEN.

I wonder what happened..... That is the SECOND flight that has been canned this week on me!

Oh, well. The good news is I'm meeting that jet hitch hiker girl tonight for dinner. That should be fun.

BAD NEWS.

LAST NIGHT I GOT A VOICEMAIL DUE TO THE FACT I WAS IN A MONTHLY PILOT MEETING.

THE C130 FLIGHT IS OFF. HE DIDN'T SAY WHY BECAUSE I'M ATTENDING AVIATION ORIENTATION / TRAINING ON SATURDAY AND HE WILL BE THERE AND HE WILL EXPLAIN IT TO ME THEN.

I wonder what happened..... That is the SECOND flight that has been canned this week on me!

Oh, well. The good news is I'm meeting that jet hitch hiker girl tonight for dinner. That should be fun.

Sorry to hear that. Remember that operational requirements come first and there are any number of scenarios that could be in play: Unscheduled downtime on another plane which impacts the duty rotation of the base, unexpected operational deployment to another area etc etc. Your chance will come. Enjoy your dinner!!!

So I just read that other thread on CAP. I guess they fly more search and rescue missions than us?

Don't worry, I don't want to switch, I just want to understand what they do in the air vs. what we do in the air. Sounds like they give planes and flight training to people whereas we show up already as pilots with at least 200 / 500 hours PIC and our own aircraft. Other than that, in the air itself, do we do the same stuff? I should know more next year when I actually fly my first mission.

Edit: last night I told a very well known flight instructor / local FAA WINGS safety guy what I'm doing. He had never heard of it. Neither have most pilots. So perhaps a CAP comparison would be hard unless you've flown with both. A girl at our meeting did as if she could wear a flight suit on the C130 flight, a CAP flight suit, so perhaps I should get her name and information and ask her.

I went ahead and asked last night. We did not have access to the hangar but the airport manager said what Jeanie said:

1. Tracks on top and bottom (different kinds)

2. Bolts every 3 feet that latch into the ground through a spring system that runs up and down the length of the doors and you turn it

3. Manual, not power fed

4. I think the name Jeanie used is correct

5. How would I know the weight of the doors? I'm no superman.

Thanks ma'am.. and you are not superman.... Just superwoman..;)

Ps..... sorry the 130 ride went south,, hang in there, your time will come.

Thanks ma'am.. and you are not superman.... Just superwoman..;)

Ps..... sorry the 130 ride went south,, hang in there, your time will come.

Thanks Ben. They are older and not online so I never say "on this forum I know this guy".....

I usually say "I know this really awesome pilot in Wyoming. He saw a photo of the Pilatus with the N number removed for privacy and commented on the hangar doors. He is building a hangar, can I ask you some questions?"

I probably called one person, asked one other, then ended up with the airport manager. Just imagine us standing there and me asking about rollers. Hilarious.

So I called the C130 voicemail guy, these military types like to make sure you got the memo so of course calling back was the right thing to do.

He still said it had a long story which he would explain when he sees me in person. I thanked him, I would have driven roughly 4-6 hours round trip to get to the C130 hangar, and now I don't have to.

I asked when the next one will be, and he said in the Spring, but he doesn't know if it will be on a weekend. I don't think I'll go if it is on a weekday since taking time off work would suck if they cancel on us again. Which they might. I get very little vacation time each year.

$20 it has something to do with not filling out paperwork for security purposes. :)

USAF Aux vs USCG Aux: One does inland SAR, the other does coastal SAR. Number of missions is somewhat a useless number to compare with. All depends on the area served and how many people get lost there. (Heh.)

But then again, one might do coastal patrols if a State requests it, and the other might do inland stuff too. ;)

It's pseudo-government, pseudo-military... don't even bother trying to figure out how the budgets work. It'll all change soon anyway with shuffling at DoD and possible sequestered budgets... both agencies are funded directly by Congress, but then Congress has their traditional counterparts (USAF and USCG) do continuous monitoring and audits.

I know CAP is a stand-alone non-profit Corporation and pretty sure USCG-Aux is also, in the pure legal sense, but things get weird when you "work for" USAF or USCG, since you're "Federal Employees" in terms of insurance, etc.

Bored yet? It's messier than that. Each Corporation answers to a specific command within USAF and USCG and sometimes that command changes... CAP is rumored to be moving out from under Training Command at USAF and sideways to a similar location in the tree as the Air National Guard. Rumors come and go, so we'll see. I'm sure similar stuff happens with some regularity at USCG.

There's no nailing it down. It's like Jello.

Back