counseling

U

Unregistered

i am going through a tough time emotionally in my life and would like to seek some counseling. i do not wish this to affect my medical. am i right in believing that on certain diagnoses would affect the medical, like true disorders?

yes, but get whatever's bothering you figured out first. that has to be priority in your life. once you are back to normal form, get back in the air

You are correct, but per the instructions, "List visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition." Marital counseling, for example, is not a "psychiatric condition" (even if your spouse says you're crazy). OTOH, you may find that medical insurance benefits won't be paid if you aren't diagnosed with something that the FAA might call a psychiatric condition. However, most psychological counselors are adept at working the system. Tell them the truth, let them know you're a pilot, and then let them sort the paperwork -- I'll bet they do it in a way that won't affect your FAA medical. Meanwhile, choose wisely on whether you're mentally fit to fly each day.

and good luck, pal - lots of us have been through rough times and I daresay more than a few here would be happy to receive pms if you need someone to chat with.

I'll second Dave's comments. Counseling helped me through some rough times related to a less-than-pleasant childhood. You're more than welcome to PM me if you need to chat... but a trained psychologist/psychiatrist is a better choice than me! :)

Counseling helped me through some rough times related to a less-than-pleasant childhood.

Here I thought I was the only one...........:rollercoaster:

No harm in admitting you need help to work through issues. Been there, done that.

We all have baggage, the trick is only packing what you need and throwing the rest off the end of the train. Do you keep every pair of socks you have ever owned? Nope. Streamline your thoughts to what you need to move ahead and toss the rest. That will be $250 please.

Good luck, pm if you want to chat.

Last edited:
Here I thought I was the only one...........:rollercoaster:

No harm in admitting you need help to work through issues. Been there, done that.

We all have baggage, the trick is only packing what you need and throwing the rest away. That will be $250 please.

Interesting; when I go to quote your message, I get "That will be $250 please", but it's not in your original message.

I agree with your first comment, which is why I posted what I did. I think people are often "ashamed" (embarrassed?) to admit they went for counseling or to "see the shrink"... the world would probably be a lot better off if more people did so, rather than deal with their issues through drugs, alchohol, guns, fists, etc.

the world would probably be a lot better off if more people did so, rather than deal with their issues through drugs, alchohol, guns, fists, etc.

............or fly alot. :cheers: :rofl:

Flying to me is my therapist. The shrink would be cheaper, but certainly not as much fun! :goofy:

You are right; there are some diagnoses that could affect your flight status! Do NOT got to your family doc, internal medicine doc! Instead, look for a referral to a local therapist, ideally one who has experience working with pilots or who is him or herself a pilot, and ask for a consultation. Pay for it yourself! Do not, I repeat DO NOT use your insurance policy. Address with that person the issues you face, and, if you are told by that person as the first option in your getting things squared away is that you need medication, go and look for another resource, unless what he or she tells you fits with what you feel makes sense.

The psychological effects of problems involved with living one's life do NOT necessarily require the use of medications, and meds are the front line response of most family doc's, internal medicine docs, and, sadly, also too frequently upon referral to them from psychologists and social workers, and that happens because they don't know what else to do!! or don't have the time, or don't have the training to take the time to help you deal with your situation.

Do your homework and find a licensed mental health professional who has their stuff together. Just because you've got problems with life doesn't mean that your nuts, crazy or in need of psychotropic medications, unless that comes as a recommendation from a licensed professional who knows what they're talking about and with respect to which he or she has credibilty with you

tony
H. Anthony Semone, PhD
Police Psychologist
Commercial ASEL, IR, MEL, CFI

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Tony (I see it's your first post) -- sounds like you're someone with knowledge we can use around here.

Tony, Welcome to the board! It looks like your experience is going to be much appreciated here.

And, just perhaps... Bruce has met his match? :) Actually, this is a great compliment to all the the Aeromedical help he provides.

Colleagues,

thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate you all taking the time to do that. I expect Dr. B has forgotten more than I know about aviation medicine. what I can contribute though are my thoughts and experiences derived not only from some really good clinical training and experience spanning 40 years or so, my own piloting experience ( meager 900 hours or so), but also from my far more extensive experience in working with law enforcement officers who also traverse dangerous environments every time they go on shift, and who are subjected all too frequently to the same drive-by evaluations (sic) that many of us have had to undergo when it has come to getting are medicals renewed. think here of "fitness for duty" evaluations, return to service assessments following the use of deadly force.

thanks again, I look forward to being here :) and I'll be more than happy to contribute what I can.

tony

i am going through a tough time emotionally in my life and would like to seek some counseling. i do not wish this to affect my medical. am i right in believing that on certain diagnoses would affect the medical, like true disorders?

Read the Airman Medical application carefully. It spells out a very minimal set of circumstances for which the counseling must be disclosed. I believe mostly it's for substance abuse reasons. If the reason that you are seeking counseling (marital/relationship problems...) do not fit into the criteria, there is no cause to disclose them.

Tony - welcome aboard!

Unreg - check with your work to see if they sponsor an EAP (employee assistance program).

original anon here. thanks for all of your advice! it surely isn't a true mental disorder. I just want to talk to someone about what is probably an early midlife crisis (mid 30s).

thank you , again.

original anon here. thanks for all of your advice! it surely isn't a true mental disorder. I just want to talk to someone about what is probably an early midlife crisis (mid 30s).

thank you , again.

Doesn't sound reportable to me, pay cash anyway, it may spare you a nightmare.

And whatever happens, don't let the counselor use the word "depression" in any paperwork other than to rule it out.

Tony,

Hope we end up in the same spot sometime. I spent a number of years as commissioner of a 150-gun suburban PD (then) and would enjoy your perspectives. We sent all of our prospective hires to "the shrink" to get a better idea of what was going on in their tiny minds, and I still remember some of the pet phrases in his reports. Thinking about it brings back some good memories.

You close to Dallas?

Wayne

Colleagues,

thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate you all taking the time to do that. I expect Dr. B has forgotten more than I know about aviation medicine. what I can contribute though are my thoughts and experiences derived not only from some really good clinical training and experience spanning 40 years or so, my own piloting experience ( meager 900 hours or so), but also from my far more extensive experience in working with law enforcement officers who also traverse dangerous environments every time they go on shift, and who are subjected all too frequently to the same drive-by evaluations (sic) that many of us have had to undergo when it has come to getting are medicals renewed. think here of "fitness for duty" evaluations, return to service assessments following the use of deadly force.

thanks again, I look forward to being here :) and I'll be more than happy to contribute what I can.

tony

thank you , again.

Yea, the ol midlife crisis, mine was at 30. Then a wise man told me life does not even begin until your 40 and it has been good ever since. Besides, you can't get off this planet alive anyway so why worry about it? :goofy:

That will be another $250. :)

Good to hear from you again. The fact that you are asking for help and communicating with us tells me you are gonna be just fine. I dare say we ALL have had rough times. "No man is an island".

Keep posting and maybe we'll help? The price is right for the advice you get! ;)

Last edited:
And whatever happens, don't let the counselor use the word "depression" in any paperwork other than to rule it out.

Counselor: "It sounds like you're really depressed."

Pilot Counselee: "Nope! I will agree that I have some situational sadness related to these specific issues that I want us to work through, but I am not depressed."

Wayne,

No, just outside Philly, though I did 5 day training at ThunderRanch when Clint Smith was there, back in 1995 or 96 as I recall. Great training, challenging as heck, and the Hill Country is beyond beautiful.

Those of us who are looked to for evaluating LEO's are or should be clearly aware of the limitations of standard (sic) approaches to doing that. Recently a highly trained SWAT officer was involved in a deadly force confrontation in which, though the BG was taken out :), he sustained a pretty serious wound to his upper arm - no vest coverage. Department wanted him to go to a clinpsych person to be "evaluated" to see if he could return to service. She, w/o an iota's worth of LE training, not even so much as a ride-along, wanted to give this officer the MMPI (argh) to assess him for PTSD, even in the presence of a supervisory report attesting to his being "good to go."

So we aviators face a similar conundrum when it comes to psychological issues and their purported impact on our abilities to fly safely. In these days there is just no simple way to address the issues associated with "just living our lives" and the emotional consequences attendant to some of the events that happen in them. I respectfully suggest that too many of my colleagues take themselves way too seriously w/ respect to our ability to fathom the relevant issues and then address them competently - and the IACP (International Assoc of Chiefs of Police) isn't terribly helpful.

So, as numerous posters and DocB have noted, if one of us pilots bumps up against an issue in your life that's tough to deal with, e.g., divorce, separation, family death, workplace rejection, family problems with children, in-laws, ya know, the usual sorts of things that can get out of hand from time to time, I suggest finding a knowledgeable and competent person: MHP, priest, preacher, rabbi, trusted friend, who is also or has been a pilot or has at least had some dual instruction, then, interview him or her to find out in advance if he or she has the requisite characteristics to afford a safe context in which to deal with the emotional fall-out of the issue(s), w/o giving a freaking diagnosis and w/o charging it off against your medical insurance.

Just my .02 -

tony

Last edited:
Damn, this threads getting expensive. I got $500.02 on the meter.

Sometimes, it's helpful to just talk about stuff to someone. Talking unburdens ones self. Swearing loudly does too, but to do it correctly, you first have to learn how to drive.

My midlife crisis is in the garage. Bought it about 8 years ago, a Corvette. That started a whole list of things; a new dog, my license to fly, a plane, and then the divorce. I feel MUCH better now. Broke, but happy!

I can never have a midlife crisis .. I think you have to grow up
to do that.
No, you're at mid-life when you're approximately 50% through the normal adult lifespan for your racial, gender-modified, socio-economic group. You can be young right up until you draw your last breath!:yes: I certainly intend to be!

Yea I liked Stevens posts too bad hes left. But welcome Copdoc!! glad to have ya here. There are a lot of POAers just outside Philly. To the OP best of luck and good on you for addressing your problem!

Adam,

thanks for your welcome! I look forward to being a contributing member here and, as well, look forward to meeting some of the POAers from area hereabouts. While I legally and ethically can't provide diagnostic and/or therapeutic services via the internet, I've been around long enough so that I have some really, really good clinical resources in various regions of the country. Any member here who might need access to one only needs to PM me and I'll be glad to see what I can do to find a good referral for them, an activity for which I do not charge, and an activity for which the person has a privilege for confidentiality.

tony

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back