Couldnt help but think of Ted and his dog rescue when I saw this

OMG....that is the happiest/saddest thing ever.

Actually reminded me of our cat - it was a shelter/rescue cat, and I'm pretty sure it was born and lived it's whole first 1.5 yrs in a cage. It couldn't even figure out how to jump up on the couch since it had never had an opportunity to do anything like that. It's turned out to be a really good pet, probably because it bonded with the only people who did anytyhing other than simply feed it. I think these dogs will end up being fine pets, too.

Last September I flew 16 beagles that were from a shut down lab in North Carolina to Florida. It was much the same. The poor creatures had been abused, and were seeing sunlight and grass for the first time in their lives. They were otherwise confined to stainless-steel cages, filled with filth and washed with bleach-water solution (with the beagles still in the cages). They were surprisingly friendly towards humans, who had treated them so poorly up until that point.

Getting to see them play with eachother and just walk around on grass was a very happy moment.

Good article! :yes:

Well, I don't need another dog at this time but when I do I might just adopt one of these

I saw those beagles a few days ago. It does make you want to go get one.

Jake is getting a sister, Dakota (really! :D ) from a rescue this weekend.

298512_10150424417793012_149960248011_10760518_142317556_n.jpg

http://makingadifferencerescue.com/

We brought him out to meet her on Saturday. The first thing they did was kiss each other. :blowingkisses:

I talked to some farther away rescues but they say they "don't adopt far away" so I couldn't ask Ted to get my new baby. I did drive across Missouri in atwo dya ice storm to get Pancho.

Last edited:
I talked to some farther away rescues but they say they "don't adopt far away" so I couldn't ask Ted to get my new baby.

Even so, you'd be better off going to get him/her yourself. We only fly plane fulls.

I adopted another dog last Easter. I took him out of doggie death row, a sickly starved dog. It took months of medical care but now he is a happy, well-fed, well-behaved dog. He's so happy to have a home, love, and food.
He has a strange bump on one rear leg, so my vet xrayed it, and there are metal fragments imbedded in the bone, and the bone grew over it. My vet thinks someone shot him, and he wasn't given medical care. :mad:

Attachments

• DSC00150_2.JPG
    DSC00150_2.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Don't get me going about animal abuse. ANY animal. :mad: People that do that need to be subjected to the same treatment they inflict, not get $100M contracts to play football.

I miss my dog, cat's are good too (thought I'd never say that), but there is nothing like a good dog. :(

Don't get me going about animal abuse. ANY animal. :mad: People that do that need to be subjected to the same treatment they inflict, not get $100M contracts to play football.

I miss my dog, cat's are good too (thought I'd never say that), but there is nothing like a good dog. :(

Plenty of dogs need homes, especially in poor economies when people dump their pets.

Some people just suck, like animal abusers.

I am not defending any of these abusive labs whatsoever. I'm sure Ted has seen more than most. And I think the punishment for abusers should should be medieval.

But I understand that, particularly in the educational/medical/pharma context, lab animals are treated very well, kept impeccably clean, and are necessary. For example, at my daughter's vet school, the 2nd year students have teams of 4 students that "own" a "surgical dog", and they are responsible for the raising, care, walking, playing, etc. of that dog. They spay or neuter that dog, and typically, the dog is then adopted by one of the students after that year. I've seen the facility, and it is impeccable.

I don't know what kind of lab used the beagles in the OP's story, but they called this group to outplace the dogs, and the dogs didn't look mistreated, based on the video. I was inclined to say kudos to that lab for what they did.

Anyway, it's a great story.

I don't "like" animal testing by the Pharma industry, but I understand that it is necessary. I am not lumping legitimate, medical research labs in with abusers like Michael Vick. Sorry if I came off that way.

Plenty of dogs need homes, especially in poor economies when people dump their pets.

Some people just suck, like animal abusers.

Dog fighting is huge in the south, and something I never knew much about. And apparently dog theft is a big problem. People will steal dogs, often knock their teeth out, and use them as bait dogs for their fighting dogs. Disgusting.

I was walking my dog last summer, and some guy commented "that looks like a good fighting dog." I had my family with me and didn't want to get into a confrontation, but I was appalled. Plus, he's a chocolate lab, and anyone who knows anything about labs knows that they like to fight with chew toys, but that's about it. Here's our boy:

Attachments

• 313193_623093458711_16004481_33608074_322514668_n.jpg
    313193_623093458711_16004481_33608074_322514668_n.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 13
I don't "like" animal testing by the Pharma industry, but I understand that it is necessary. I am not lumping legitimate, medical research labs in with abusers like Michael Vick. Sorry if I came off that way.

No, Anthony, I knew what you meant, and I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to point out that some research labs are necessary, and do it the right way.

No, Anthony, I knew what you meant, and I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to point out that some research labs are necessary, and do it the right way.

Got it. Agreed.

Even so, you'd be better off going to get him/her yourself. We only fly plane fulls.

Yeah. I'd drive again, fly, or bum a flight.

The problem is they want to do a home inspection and they don't have a system to use a local rescue group to do a checkout.

Now there's an idea! I should work on a network for them.

But I understand that, particularly in the educational/medical/pharma context, lab animals are treated very well, kept impeccably clean, and are necessary. For example, at my daughter's vet school, the 2nd year students have teams of 4 students that "own" a "surgical dog", and they are responsible for the raising, care, walking, playing, etc. of that dog. They spay or neuter that dog, and typically, the dog is then adopted by one of the students after that year. I've seen the facility, and it is impeccable.

In a vet school, that's to be expected. Obviously, the facilities that do a good job never make it to the news, it's only the bad ones. The dogs do need to be kept physically clean and in good enough condition to provide effective results in a number of cases, but that doesn't mean that they receive any socialization. What your daughter's class does with its dogs is not what I'd expect any lab to do. The amount of money that it would cost to actually socialize the dogs, let them play on grass (which, by the way, would also screw up the controlled experiment), etc. is something that you probably won't see.

I do agree that animal testing has its places, and am not entirely against it. The beagles I transported, for instance, were from a lab that tested flea medication and the like. How are you going to test that other than on an animal?

Dog fighting is huge in the south, and something I never knew much about. And apparently dog theft is a big problem. People will steal dogs, often knock their teeth out, and use them as bait dogs for their fighting dogs. Disgusting.

They also duct tape their snouts shut so that they don't have any chance of fighting back. One dog I transported who was a bait dog from a fighting ring had its ears so torn to shreds there was nothing left. The dog was extremely sweet and friendly.

And I don't even see the worst of it.

Jake is getting a sister, Dakota (really! :D ) from a rescue this weekend.

298512_10150424417793012_149960248011_10760518_142317556_n.jpg

http://makingadifferencerescue.com/

We brought him out to meet her on Saturday. The first thing they did was kiss each other. :blowingkisses:

I talked to some farther away rescues but they say they "don't adopt far away" so I couldn't ask Ted to get my new baby. I did drive across Missouri in a two day ice storm to get Pancho.

Dakota got her new Daddy and her brudder Saturday. We only had few drops of blood lost. :redface:

She's as good a girl as we expected. I figger in a few more days they'll be snoozing together.

BTW, anybody in Chicago, her old brother Bentley, the little black/white Staff is another lubber boy. He wouldn't stop giving me kisses. He's just a little puppy-hyperactive but I'm sure that will back down as he gets a little older. See the link above.

Dakota got her new Daddy and her brudder Saturday. We only had few drops of blood lost. :redface:

She's as good a girl as we expected. I figger in a few more days they'll be snoozing together.

BTW, anybody in Chicago, her old brother Bentley, the little black/white Staff is another lubber boy. He wouldn't stop giving me kisses. He's just a little puppy-hyperactive but I'm sure that will back down as he gets a little older. See the link above.

391089_10150601078688012_149960248011_11631850_1755587708_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/Makingadifferencerescue

Did I mention that Bentley the kisser also needs a home? http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...9403012_149960248011_11645250_619467486_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back