Couldn't get on today...

wpierce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wpierce
Did something get changed last night with this site? I could not get on at work today as it was being blocked as an "online community" or some such. I did not have any problems getting onto the Red or Purple boards...:confused:

Some would say I was 1/3 more productive at work today than I normally am...

Sounds more like someone at at your IT department put a block on it. A couple of months ago, the place where I work started logging web site visits and blocking some. I had to lobby to get Wikipedia back. It's often faster to get the SMILES string from there than it is to draw a chemical structure for a compound.

I'm thinking they haven't hit the other sites yet.

This morning, the "spyware" at work had a hiccup and crashed e-mail and web browser.

Your IT blocked us - little we can do.

Your IT blocked us - little we can do.

I was afraid that may have been the case. I also imagine it's just a matter of time before they hit the Purple and Red. Although possibly not the Red because of going in through the main page.

Well dang.:incazzato:

It all depends on how their stuff is setup and how they're doing the block but it's possible you could just use a proxy to get around it. A proxy tunneled over SSH will get around nearly anything.

So that would elevate you to the "not very" category?:tongue:

Did something get changed last night with this site? I could not get on at work today as it was being blocked as an "online community" or some such. I did not have any problems getting onto the Red or Purple boards...:confused:

Some would say I was 1/3 more productive at work today than I normally am...

It all depends on how their stuff is setup and how they're doing the block but it's possible you could just use a proxy to get around it. A proxy tunneled over SSH will get around nearly anything.

I don't think using a proxy would be av very good idea if I want to maintain my ability to afford flying.:incazzato:

I don't think using a proxy would be av very good idea if I want to maintain my ability to afford flying.:incazzato:
Yeah, it might get you fired :) It depends on the company. Some of the large corporations out there get so aggressive with that **** that half the company is cheating them anyhow.

My company started blocking webboards a few months ago. They also block ANYTHING that has questionable content based on what appears in the link. They did provide a method to get "approval" but I seem to think that might be a quick ticket to the front door.
My answer to that is a smart phone (currently a BB Storm). Since it is MINE, they have no say in the content. I just wish I had a shorter email address; that virtual keyboard makes it tough sometimes.

Back