Could really use some advice here......

First off I realize that I'm late to the thread and whatever was going to happen has already happened.

However when I read the original post I had a thought. That thought was that just because a guy sucks at buying airplanes doesn't automatically make him a bad pilot. Therefore I can't really say whether or not this guy is a good enough pilot to own and fly a superviking. It certainly doesn't sound like he's a person who makes good airplane buying decisions but that's a whole different beast than actually flying or owning an airplane.

Case in point, I consider myself an above average pilot for my experience level and I never practiced steep turns and such until I became a commercial pilot and had to do them regularly for a living.

Further case in point, my former boss didn't believe in doing prebuy inspections. He's bought as many good airplanes as bad. And by bad I mean airplanes that he's put down in corn fields and totaled on the flight home because he didn't do a prebuy and the engine exploded on the way home. Yet he's a pilot I look up to and respect and I don't do that with just anyone. IOW, I don't agree at all with his airplane buying methods but I'd let my wife fly with him any day of the week.

So given that, I can say that this guy doesn't sound qualified to make a good buying decision on his own but I can't say whether or not he can actually handle the plane he buys because I haven't actually flown with him. Then I read the post where the OP stated she hasn't actually flown with him either. So honestly, her and I are just about in the same boat when it comes to this pilot.

He doesn't sound like he makes good decisions when it comes to buying airplanes. But that doesn't mean he's not a capable pilot. He may not be a capable pilot, but until someone in this thread has actually flown with him, none of us can really say.

So now that I've got that off my chest, how did the lunch go? Details, we want details.

but he HAS shown that he's not all that good at OWNING an airplane! Remember his 150 - "not a candidate for an annual, just a restoration"? Squirting fuel from the primer??? And he flies it and is just happy as a pig in ... well, you know.

So I guess, to ME, he doesn't sound like he's capable to own and operate a super viking! :eek:

Lunch was canceled and instead, the three of us went out to dinner last night to celebrate my PP. The last time I talked about flying with Sam was the first part of March. At that time, when I mentioned wanting to get my IR, he indicated that he wasn't interested in that at all. And that he had found someone to annual his airplane for only $2000.00. :dunno: However, it seems that over the last couple of months he's had some sort of revelation. When I got to their house last night, he couldn't wait to show me the pictures of the Viking. After a 2 second glance at the panel, I blurted out, in a less than subtle way, "If you don't get your instrument rating in this airplane you're an idiot." To which he responded that his plan was to get instruction in the airplane and then go right to flying with a CFII and get his IR. (insert pleasantly surprised smiley) He also said that the pre-purchase was going to be very extensive and not cheap. (insert relieved smiley).

What a nice panel this thing has!!! MFD, 430, HSI, new transponder, and much more but I don't have a picture in front of me. It pretty much has all the components of my dream panel. He's paying 60K for it. Close as I can tell 45K for avionics, 10k for a 520 less than half way to TBO, and 5K for the package it comes in.

Needless to say, I'm considerable more excited for him now than I was the other day. My friend that has always cheaped out and been lackadaisical in the aviation dept. has finally given me an indication that some good judgment just might exist. Guess we'll see how the pre-purchase goes.

PS I'm not saying everyone should have an IR. I just believe strongly in continued education of some kind. Even if just a page a day out of the AIM, magazine atricles, or hanger talk. Just do something to always remind yourself that there's much more to learn.

Well, that's all encouraging. If flying in a Vike does not inspire him to improve his piloting skills, nothing will.

Awesome, I'm glad to see a turn around in his thinking. That takes a huge amount of stress off of you as well in having to face down your friends in the interest of keeping them alive.

Keep us informed. You'll have to get some pictures of this classic to post on the board.

It used to be possible to find ended sales on ebay with a Google search but no cigar this time. There are some great aircraft deals on there but they take as much or more vigilance in pre-purchase as any other source.

Meanwhile... a boast of the former company:

cheerleaders.JPG

Personally, here I see NO upside for you and a whole lot of DOWNSIDE.

If there isn't any way to win, why bother to play?

Here’s my problem……. I have a dear friend whose wife is one of my very best friends. For the purpose of this post we will call him Sam. Sam’s been a PP for about a year and a half, and has approx. 125 hours. He’s NOT one of us. By that I mean, he got his PP ASEL and he’s ALL DONE. He’s not cracked a book or practiced a maneuver since. He actually told me after I passed my check-ride, and I quote “Now you can just fly wherever you want without ever thinking about practicing anything. I haven’t done a steep turn or any other maneuver since I took my practical” end quote. I guarantee that he knows nothing of the stats regarding low time pilots in, new to them, high powered aircraft. I’ve pretty much given up trying to talk aviation with him (Sam) because I lose him too quickly, which is quite frightening considering my extremely limited experience and knowledge base. He’s pretty much flown only his 150/150.

Anyway, yesterday Sam called to tell me he’d put a deposit down on a Super Viking. :hairraise: He’d found it on e-Bay. :eek: He wanted to see if my AI would do a pre-purchase. My AI declined quickly not wanting to get involved in anything that clearly had disaster written all over it. Sam’s very excited about this Viking because it has a storm scope and a GPS with a COM. He’s never seen a GPS with a COM before, and didn’t know such a thing existed. Now maybe I’m being too critical, but how does one buy any airplane without having some idea of basic avionics that are available? :dunno: Apparently Sam and I do things very differently.

Anyway here’s my problem………. I know it’s none of my business. I know I should probably keep my mouth shut. My conscience, however, is having a problem with saying nothing. Sam really doesn’t listen to anyone. He kind of assumes a know it all attitude. He didn’t listen to my AI, who's also a very high hour ATP, when he suggested he look at other airplanes. He’s surely not going to listen to a chic that just got her PP cert. no matter how good of friends we are.

I’m having lunch tomorrow with Sam’s wife, who knows zilch about airplanes and thinks that because they’ve successfully made a couple of $100 hamburger trips her husband is pilot of the year. My CFI, thinks I should try and get to her and squelch the deal that way. Wives……… having so much power……..and all. I’m just not quite sure how to word it?

I guess I just want to know what you guys think, and what you would do. Would you say nothing and hope for the best? Would you risk the relationship and try to explain the problems with his plan, knowing that you were wasting your breath? Or, since a more qualified person already tried to talk him out of it, would you just leave it alone? Or, am I way out in left field for even worrying about it? If you think I’m over-reacting to a non issue don’t hesitate to say so. It would make me feel much better. :yes:

Personally, here I see NO upside for you and a whole lot of DOWNSIDE.
Never forget that when someone crashes or scares the neighbors, we all lose -- more regs, higher insurance rates, and angry neighbors petitioning the city council to close the airport. If you see a situation which could lead to that sort of trouble, stepping in to try to avoid it is in your own self-interest.

If there isn't any way to win, why bother to play?
You see this as a zero-sum game -- I don't. If there's a good chance this pilot can be influenced to be smarter and safer, I think it's worth the risk of alienating him.

Meanwhile... a boast of the former company:

cheerleaders.JPG
Every time I see a picture like this I think about it would make me more confident if they flipped the plane over and put everyone on the bottom of the wing.

Back