Could proper nutrician, reduction of industrial polutants cure all ills?

Tony_Scarpelli

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tony_Scarpelli
Getting tired of paying high fees for Cablevision I switched to Netflix for entertainment. I watch many of the documentaries they have on health, food, government monitoring of food/drugs and the tie between drug companies, government, food companies and our health. I have found a common theme to health and current state of health seems to have forgotten what our 19th century populations knew. Maybe they have not forgotten they just do not promote it as it is bad business for Drug companies, health organizations, doctors and dentists and gross domestic product gains.

About a dozen years ago I watched a video by a Veterinarian who was selling vits and nutrient supplements. He said many of the supposed diseases we treat with $300-800 per month drugs (heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and others) are regularly treated in farm animals and livestock with nutrition.

OK he was a salesman of sorts so I take it with a grain of salt. Being big all my life, I've always watched what doctors are saying is healthy eating and wonder why it changes so much from one fad to the next over 5 decades. You might say doctors really have no idea what is healthy to eat at least what is published and pushed on the public by national health organizations. Remember high complex carb diet in the 60's? Alternatively called Low fat. Then the high protein, southbeach and Atkins diets. Then the Juicers diet and these are just the main 'could work' diets not the thousands of fad diets.

I stumbled upon a few related documentaries on netflix which are totally unrelated except they all point to nutrition to manage your health as apposed to using medications which then create and cause other ailments and unknown effects. The theory is that your body heals it self if you give it the energy it needs.

We have all seen the documentary "Super Size me." He was a vegan super healthy, back packer, climber guy who ate nothing but MacDonalds food for 40 days and started perfectly healthy and ended up in less than 2 months with higher weight, lethargic, hypertension, diabetic and host of other ailments.

The main cause thought is the Sugar, fat, salt combination food scientists found make some foods almost addictive. Think of your favorite french fries or potato chips with sweet barbeque sauce. Just like adding ammonia to tobacco to help rush the stimulative effects to the brain to help addict smokers quicker,, this magic combination of salt,fat, sugar does the same with food. MacDonalds soaks their french fries in sugar before frying them and salting them so they are the perfect weapon against our will to resist. Every food sold at MacDonalds has sugar, fat and salt added in a tight combination to accomplish this same effect. Bread, catsup have sugar and fat added while iced cream and shakes have salt added. No wonder they lead the way to congress to have a law enacted protecting the whole food industry against liability when/if this comes out such as what happened to the tobacco companies.

I watched some documentaries about a guy who believes in juicing and he walked across the USA as a promotion to promote it. OK that was interesting he reversed many of the same ailments from MacDonalds foods. Then I ran across this one called Gerswin Therapies. This 1920's German Doctor had observed that if he withheld 19th and 20th century industrial chemicals and pollutants and prescribed mega dosing of vitamins via Juicing that he could halt and often reverse damage such as cancer, heart disease, obesity and many other human ailments. I learn that this guy treated Albert Schweitzer wife and daughter of terminal ailments and cured them with this treatment. Albert Schweitzer called him a medical genius. So this warrents a bit of investigation IMO.

We eat healthy food that also tastes good made of high quality ingredients, and take vitamins.

What's a doctor? :dunno:

My mother was fat all her adult life and on numerous medications for metabolic and cardiac conditions. She lost about half her weight when she lost husband number 2. Now she's on nothing.

I suspect a lot of medical bills would go away if folks just took good care of themselves. Not all, some folks just have bad tickers or metabolic problems. But a lot.

That said, I eat well and exercise regularly. Nothing stops my gout. Nothing but allopurinol, that is.

The main cause thought is the Sugar, fat, salt combination food scientists found make some foods almost addictive. Think of your favorite french fries or potato chips with sweet barbeque sauce. Just like adding ammonia to tobacco to help rush the stimulative effects to the brain to help addict smokers quicker,, this magic combination of salt,fat, sugar does the same with food.

Doesn't shock me in the least. Yes, processed foods are formulated to be addictive because each of these companies wants to lighten your wallet. Peroid. That is what they're in bussiness for, to lighten your wallet. That is the end goal of any business, lighten the wallets of their target customers.

My diet philosophy: What could man eat when he first showed up on earth? There were no stoves, no ice boxes, no factories making Oreos. Man ate what gew on the soil. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Once in a great while he might have been able to catch and eat a fish or some other animal. But only once in a great while.

So I eat mostly the above foods, and add meat once in a while. I lost 50+ pounds, my sleep is restful, snooring went away, I no longer need to take Prilosec. My Bp went from borderline bad, 140/90, down to 120/77. I feel great.

But, an exercise program went with the diet shift.

Eat what you want, but my personal opinion is you can't expect good things if you constantly eat crap.

Meh. Lots of "junk" science out there. Eat a moderate balanced diet, keep in shape, and you'do fine. The people in the 19th century were mostly getting excercise from their work and eating less than most of us do now. The food they had wasn't overly processed so it kept its vitamins. Most of our problems probably stem from lifestyle changes.

You probably never heard about the patients he treated that didn't do so well.

There is no doubt that a healthy diet will lead to better health and that an unhealthy diet will eventually lead to bad health. But the magnitude and the time will differ for everyone. Genes and exercise play big roles too.

My Mother-in-Law had a very obnoxious friend that owned a health food store. She was always telling everyone that they should or should not be eating one thing or another. She died of stomach cancer at 50 yrs old. When first diagnosed with it she told the doctor he was wrong. When she accepted it she still refused to take any medicine. She just loaded up on her health foods and supplements. She turned very bitter before dying blaming God because she did everything right and was going to die young anyway.

I still take some of the advice she gave me. But I still drink Scotch too and I am 12 yrs older than she was when she died.

Just check the average life expectancy 100 years ago to today. I'll take today's and eat what I want with minimum junk food.

Cheers

Doesn't shock me in the least. Yes, processed foods are formulated to be addictive because each of these companies wants to lighten your wallet. Peroid. That is what they're in bussiness for, to lighten your wallet. That is the end goal of any business, lighten the wallets of their target customers.

My diet philosophy: What could man eat when he first showed up on earth? There were no stoves, no ice boxes, no factories making Oreos. Man ate what gew on the soil. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Once in a great while he might have been able to catch and eat a fish or some other animal. But only once in a great while.

So I eat mostly the above foods, and add meat once in a while. I lost 50+ pounds, my sleep is restful, snooring went away, I no longer need to take Prilosec. My Bp went from borderline bad, 140/90, down to 120/77. I feel great.

But, an exercise program went with the diet shift.

Eat what you want, but my personal opinion is you can't expect good things if you constantly eat crap.

No stoves but cooking fires likely predate Homo sapiens, it is likely that eating meat is what allowed us to developer big brains

No stoves but cooking fires likely predate Homo sapiens, it is likely that eating meat is what allowed us to developer big brains

So carnivores are smarter? :D

This topic is crazy because everyone has an opinion based on a sample size of 1, and anyone with enough money to put a study together has a way they want it to turn out, and a too short a study period to really prove anything. No one self reports accurately what they are eating or how much they exercise.

Fat Head on Netflix is pretty good if you haven't seen it already.

This topic is crazy because everyone has an opinion based on a sample size of 1, and anyone with enough money to put a study together has a way they want it to turn out, and a too short a study period to really prove anything. No one self reports accurately what they are eating or how much they exercise.

Fat Head on Netflix is pretty good if you haven't seen it already.

I think just about everyone agrees that balanced nutrition and exercise make you healthier.

As the old adage says...

One of the secrets to long life is to live high in the watershed and eat low on the food chain.

Notice it says "one" of the secrets....

So to sum it up:
1. Eating healthy natural things better than eating unhealthy chemically laden, fat laden things.
2. Too much of a good thing probably not good. Moderation is better.
3. Being too fat, or too skinny not good. Being proper weight for body size, and characteristics good.
4. Avoiding McDonalds-good for you, bad for McDonalds
5. Modern food corporations strive to separate us from our money, and make food attractive, and "addictive" to do that. How dare they?
6. Exercise good, being lazy bad.
7. Carnivores eat meat, probably makes them smarter than those they eat. Certainly we can all agree a living predator is smarter than their dead prey.
8. Even by eating "right", exercising "right, and doing all the "right" thing you can die young.

Surprising...not so much.

From the title.
nutrician

bla bla bla...prescribed mega dosing of vitamins ..yadda yadda yadda.. So this warrents a bit of investigation.
Not everyone's dietary needs are the same. Dietary needs can change throughout a person's life depending on many factors.

A balanced diet and getting a reasonable amount of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients is important. However moderation is very important.

Most people tend to eat too much and not get enough exercise. However it is wrong to stereotype people.

Increasingly people are harming themselves with megadoses. Most people should moderate their nutrients, rather than megadosing. Scammers dangerously push mega dosing.

There is massive fraud in the nutritional supplement industry.

Beware of Fraudulent ‘Dietary Supplements’
http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm246744.htm

Nutritional Supplement Scams
http://drlarsen.com/nutritional-supplement-scams/

Many vitamins, supplements, foods,
nutrients, and diets can be harmful. Fads can be harmful.

Don’t Take Your Vitamins
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Dr. Paul Offit: Vitamins Could Increase Risk Of Heart Disease, Cancer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/paul-offit-vitamins_n_3568896.html

Vitamin E Supplements Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
http://news.cancerconnect.com/vitamin-e-supplements-increase-prostate-cancer-risk/

Supplements May Increase Cancer Risk
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/GeneralPrimaryCare/32369

You're a Vegetarian. Have You Lost Your Mind?
Vegetarian diets are correlated with an increase in mental health problems
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...1211/youre-vegetarian-have-you-lost-your-mind

Official: Atkins diet can be deadly
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/sep/21/society.politics

The main cause thought is the Sugar, fat, salt combination food scientists found make some foods almost addictive ... frying them and salting them so they are the perfect weapon against our will to resist.
Yes, processed foods are formulated to be addictive because each of these companies wants to lighten your wallet.
I am unfavorable toward the term addictive. It cheapens and demeans the word for things that truly are addictive, and people who truly have addictions.

They make it taste good, because that's their business.
People have choices. They choose what to eat, what to drink, etc. Because they want to eat the yummy, greasy food too often is not because McDonalds, et al, are the culinary equivalent of crack dealers, any more than Coca Cola is for making soda or Hershey's is for making chocolate.

Because some people are too lazy to cook (or learn to cook), or are unwilling to discipline themselves to make reasonable choices is not the fault of a restaurant.
PS> For some reason McDonalds is the bad guy. But lots of restaurants offer burger dishes with a lot more calories than McDs. But people the right kind of people go to Chilis, and the wrong kind go to McDs.

Meh. Lots of "junk" science out there. Eat a moderate balanced diet, keep in shape, and you'do fine. The people in the 19th century were mostly getting excercise from their work and eating less than most of us do now. The food they had wasn't overly processed so it kept its vitamins. Most of our problems probably stem from lifestyle changes.

This almost sounds like being self-disciplined. You can't sell that approach to anyone. ;-)

Back