cough syrup with codeine and antibiotics

U

Unregistered

I've been prescribed cough syrup with codeine. Dosage is every 4 hours. I think that's standard. Anyone know how long I have to wait after finishing the prescription before I'm safe and legal to fly?

I'm also on antibiotics (Ceftin). It has no warning about operating vehicles or machinery and there are no side effects I've seen. So I assume it's ok to fly while taking this.
All the info I've found online suggests antibiotics are usually ok if taken long enough to confirm there are no side effects. I haven't found anything offcial from the FAA. Does anyone have any more information about whether this ok?

I've been prescribed cough syrup with codeine. Dosage is every 4 hours. I think that's standard. Anyone know how long I have to wait after finishing the prescription before I'm safe and legal to fly?
Bruce Chien usually advises five times the dosage interval for things like this, and that would be 20 hours after the last dose in this case. I personally would still give it at least 48 hours.

I'm also on antibiotics (Ceftin). It has no warning about operating vehicles or machinery and there are no side effects I've seen. So I assume it's ok to fly while taking this.
Ceftin isn't in the AOPA list, and neither is its family (cephalosporin), but I wouldn't presume either way with nothing there. However, RXList.com gives the following:
Common side effects of Ceftin include diarrhea, dizziness, headache, stomach upset, abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, itching/swelling, rash, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, rash, hives, vaginitis, and mouth ulcers.
The dizziness would be my biggest concern, followed by nausea/vomiting, but if you've been taking it for a few days and have no side effects to affect your flying, I'd say go ahead once you're off the codeine.

And remember to report your doctor visits to the FAA on your next medical application.

Thanks for the information. That all sounds good and simple enough.

I wish the FAA had a list where I could just look all this up.

Bruce Chien usually advises five times the dosage interval for things like this, and that would be 20 hours after the last dose in this case. I personally would still give it at least 48 hours.

Ceftin isn't in the AOPA list, and neither is its family (cephalosporin), but I wouldn't presume either way with nothing there. However, RXList.com gives the following:
The dizziness would be my biggest concern, followed by nausea/vomiting, but if you've been taking it for a few days and have no side effects to affect your flying, I'd say go ahead once you're off the codeine.

And remember to report your doctor visits to the FAA on your next medical application.
5 times dosage interval is a good rule of thumb. Another option is to consider the half life for the med in question. This is easily googled and for codeine would be 2.9 hours for plasma half life. If one takes 2.9 and multiplies it by 5 half lives you get a similar number around 15 hours.
Absent side effects, I would be less concerned with the Ceftin than the reason for taking it being a factor in fitness for flight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back