Couches....check, Mini Fridge...check, Stereo...check.

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
...not having to cover the plane every day...PRICELESS (well, not priceless. Quite a bit more a month really)

Almost three and a half years on the wait list FINALLY got a freakin hangar at my home airport!

That is all, just thought I would share with those that could appreciate my joy of no longer having to schlep my flight bag every trip.

I fully understand. I got my hangar last June and it has been so nice. It makes hanging out at the airport so much better in every way. To me it is money well spent. I moved my airplane 10 miles further from home just so I could have my plane hangared. It adds another 10 minutes to the drive, but again, it is worth it to me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Having a hangar is priceless.

That's awesome!! A space to call your own, the ultimate man cave. I had fun going to Goodwill to get a couch, throw rug, coffee table, etc. for the Corner Suitable for Habitation. :D

Here's mine, back while I was still in the building phase. Found a scooter that matches how I ultimately painted the plane.

IMG_3708.JPG

Last edited:
I wish!
PDK is so poorly managed that even though there's plenty of empty space, there's a 25 plane waitlist for TIEDOWNS!
I haven't even asked about hangars...

it aint worth spit without a pic!

I know I know...it is still a work in progress. Just got possession yesterday. Hope to have it dialed in by this weekend though, right now it is just a rusty box with some crap hucked in...heck, my plane is not even there! It is away getting some avionics work done.

Will post pics...promise.

Don't forget about the lawn chairs! Gonna need at least three so even if you have a friend with you there is always room for anothe to wander over and sit, have a cold drink and watch the planes go by.

When I told my wife it would be $220 a month for a hangar I also pointed out that one bad storm here in North Alabama will destroy the plane. I chalk up the hangar cost as part of my insurance.
Other benefits of a hangar: battery minder stays plugged in, preflight inside, less chance of bird nests, tools and manuals readily available and the biggie OWNER ASSISTED ANNUALS

When you get a hangar, you suddenly appreciate having a high wing aircraft, particularly if your hangar is rather on the smaller side. I don't have a garage at home so my hangar stores my airplane, everything to support the plane, as well as a desk area, a sofa, full size fridge, a Jeep Wrangler, and a 5x9 landscape trailer (stored under the tail). While my hangar is cheap by DC area standards ($400/mo) it's still a chunk of change, so the ability to park stuff in it makes it worth it. A few years ago when I was working on the FAA hangar use policy I used my hangar as an example of how you can have incidental use of a hangar while not displacing the aeronautical usage of it.

I love my hangar,
but . . .
Both of my hangars had the same problem. Sand blows in under the doors and I have to constantly sweep or use the blower to get it out. The sand and dust gets over everything, not to mention the cob webs. Of course, this is Florida, so we have a lot of sand and bugs, but does anyone have any tips/tricks for keeping the dirt out?

But all-in-all, it is a million times better than tying down in the weather. The sun here will cook anything left in the plane, and the paint as well.

Of course, this is Florida, so we have a lot of sand and bugs, but does anyone have any tips/tricks for keeping the dirt out?
What type of door do you have? I have the bi-fold door that opens upward. It has a black rubber strip at the bottom that is supposed to keep the elements out, but dirt was always coming under it. A friend of mine gave me the idea of pool noodles. I removed one side of the rubber flap, installed pool noodles, then closed it back up. It now has a very tight seal.

My hangar floor has "efflorescence" which is salts or something similar leaching up from the soil below and causing this awful looking white cancerous growth to appear on the concrete floor. Yuck. It can be cleaned off by scrubbing but still seems to never go away. Makes the place seem pretty ugly. I'd never run into that one before.

What type of door do you have? I have the bi-fold door that opens upward. It has a black rubber strip at the bottom that is supposed to keep the elements out, but dirt was always coming under it. A friend of mine gave me the idea of pool noodles. I removed one side of the rubber flap, installed pool noodles, then closed it back up. It now has a very tight seal.
It's a T hangar with sliding doors on tracks, like the ones shown in SoCal RV Flyer's post above.

It's a T hangar with sliding doors on tracks, like the ones shown in SoCal RV Flyer's post above.
We have some like that here, but they have about a 4 inch gap at the bottom. Nothing they can do about it.

I love my hangar,
but . . .
Both of my hangars had the same problem. Sand blows in under the doors and I have to constantly sweep or use the blower to get it out. The sand and dust gets over everything, not to mention the cob webs. Of course, this is Florida, so we have a lot of sand and bugs, but does anyone have any tips/tricks for keeping the dirt out?

But all-in-all, it is a million times better than tying down in the weather. The sun here will cook anything left in the plane, and the paint as well.

I have the same problem. I got some old quarry conveyor belt, and cut it into long strips, then screwed it to the inside bottom of the doors to act as a skirt. It catches a little bit on the high spots on the apron, and when it's hot the door expands a bit to make the dragging worse, but nothing a good hard shove won't power through. Cuts the gap on the bottom of the doors down to 1/2" or so. Not perfect, but helps a lot. Now if only I could get the guy next door to quit with the prop blast when he turns around.

I love my hangar,
but . . .

I've got the same problem... a very fine layer of silt accumulates on the floor over time. Doesn't help that my airport is surrounded by a gravel pit! Every six months or so I put the shop vac in the "blow" mode and blast it all out of there.

We recently had airport construction and they piled the fill dirt in front of our T-hangars and we were always getting dirt blown in the hangars. Now the dirt pile is grassed over and acts as a wind barrier so we get less dust. It still blocks the view of the runway but I'm happy about the dirt. Moral of the story is to wait and see before complaining about anything (insert political comment here).

Back