Cost To Rebuild?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I'm thinking about building an E-AB. Engine options include new Rotax 912ULS, maybe a UL, less likely a Honda conversion, and very possibly a smaller "real" aircraft engine. Minimum 100 hp, max 180 but more likely 115-150. Would prefer to run on car gas.
I'm wondering about the prices involved in rebuilding a run-out engine as opposed to buying a good used one or even a new or reman.
Probably looking at the O-320-O360 range, nothing bigger. Maybe even an O-235.
Anyway, the bottom line question is what kind of experience can you offer about the expenses and any pitfalls of buying a run-out engine and doing an overhaul myself? I have the tools and the skills to do the work, just don't have much experience on aircraft engines.
It will go in an experimental.

Parts ain't cheep, and Rotax is stingy with the overhaul manual - they only want to sell it to trained dealers.

But, you wouldn't be the first.

Your local A&P may or may not have some insite into where to farm out the machine work - some auto parts sources are familiar with aircraft work (for example, back in yea olde days, Mayfair auto parts near Detroit was an FAA certificated repair station), some will destroy your crank by grinding out the fillet on the bearings.

It ain't rocket science, but there are a couple gotcha's.

I'm thinking about building an E-AB. Engine options include new Rotax 912ULS, maybe a UL, less likely a Honda conversion, and very possibly a smaller "real" aircraft engine. Minimum 100 hp, max 180 but more likely 115-150. Would prefer to run on car gas.
I'm wondering about the prices involved in rebuilding a run-out engine as opposed to buying a good used one or even a new or reman.
Probably looking at the O-320-O360 range, nothing bigger. Maybe even an O-235.
Anyway, the bottom line question is what kind of experience can you offer about the expenses and any pitfalls of buying a run-out engine and doing an overhaul myself? I have the tools and the skills to do the work, just don't have much experience on aircraft engines.
It will go in an experimental.

Parts and you doing the labor, not much.

Sending the engine out.

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION IS AVAILABLE FOR A FLAT FEE OF $500 PER ENGINE PLUS THE COST OF NEW MOUNTS. THERE ARE A FEW EXCEPTIONS SO CALL OR EMAIL FOR DETAILS.

CONTINENTAL

O-200 $11,500.00 O-300 $13,500.00

ALL O-200 AND 0-300 ENGINES INCLUDE NEW CYLINDERS AND NEW REAL GASKET REPLACEABLE SHROUD TUBE SEALS. SEE FOR YOURSELF AT:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/colorpush.htm

THEY REALLY WORK!!

IO-360 $15,495.00 TSIO-360 $16,495.00

O-470 $14,995.00 IO-470 $15,495.00

IO-520 $16,495.00 TSIO-520 $17,495.00

IO-550 $17,495.00 GTSIO-520 $26,995.00

E-185 $21,495.00 E-225 $21,465.00

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION IS AVAILABLE FOR A FLAT FEE OF $500 PER ENGINE PLUS THE COST OF NEW MOUNTS. THERE ARE A FEW EXCEPTIONS SO CALL OR EMAIL FOR DETAILS.

LYCOMING

O-235 $13,495.00 O-320 $13,495.00

O-360 $13,495.00 IO-360 $13,995.00

HIO-360 $15,995.00 O-540 $15,995.00

O-540 J L $16,495.00 IO-540 $17,495.00

TIO-540 $22,495.00 TIO-541 $38,995.00

O-320-H2AD $14,495.00 (INCLUDES YELLOW TAGGED CAM AND NEW LIFTERS)

NEW CYLINDERS AVAILABLE FOR ALL ENGINE MODELS.

FOR QUESTIONS CALL: 877-597-2306 or TEL: 469-522-2568

http://www.hotwaircraft.com/NO_SURPRISE_PRICING.html

Anyway, the bottom line question is what kind of experience can you offer about the expenses and any pitfalls of buying a run-out engine and doing an overhaul myself?

There are options, just because an engine is used doesn't mean it must be overhauled prior to use. E/AB you can overhaul it your self, no legal need for any A&P supervision.
Not many A&Ps have the equipment to grind cranks or bore cylinders, so we send them out to have the machine work done, then it is just a matter of disassembly/ assembly.
you could simply buy a new engine.
you can have A&Ps help and not sign anything. they would expect to be paid.

You can't overhaul a rotax engine unless you happen to get your hands on the overhaul manual (see 14 CFR 43.2). They only send it in paper form to 4 of the distributors in the US. They are leading edge air foils in wisconsin, lockwood in sebring, florida, california power systems in cali, and I don't know what the fourth is.

Overhaul of rotax is average 14-15,000.

To get a rotax engine, just call one of the aformentioned dealers. Tell them you are building an E-AB. They will send it to you. However, keep in mind that they do void warranties if there is an engine problem linked to work done by an untrained mechanic. However, Rotax is largely bark and no bite, as long as you thoroughly document your work and especially reference the parts of the line or heavy maintenance manual that you followed in your maintenance entries you will be good. Rotax loves everyone who provides well written log entries with proof they followed their manual and will work with an untrained mechanic if they think you are making an effort to follow their instructions.

Last edited:
The fourth is Ronnie Smith in Mississippi. I was probably not sufficiently clear that I am not interested in doing a major overhaul of a Rotax. I'm looking for alternatives to Rotax, but that is a different thread.

The OP should have been more explicitly about overhauling a conventional engine, which I have the skills and technical support to do, and for which parts are generally available.

I appreciate the numbers, which was what I was looking for. Granted, I could look up parts prices, but felt sure there would be a number of mechanics on site familiar enough with going through a good core that someone could provide a good swag. Thanks for feedback.

It looks like it will be worthwhile to start watching the ads and to put the word out to local mechanics.

Last edited:
Rotax 912 can easily go 3,000 hours or more if properly cared for. That's more flying than most do in their life times.

Stay away from the Honda thing. Long sorry history of the owner abandoning other conversations leaving owners to fend for themselves.

Last edited:
lots of used engines,

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/engines.html

If I were to overhaul a Lycoming now, I'd pull the cylinders and send them to Charley Malot, for overhaul. Then send the cases, crank, rods, cam & lifters, to aircraft Specialities in Tulsa OK for inspect and repair as required. plus order the replacement parts from them too. then have the local auto shop hot tank the sump and anything that did not go to A/S and steam clean them and when it all comes back, paint the cases & sump. and reassemble the engine and test it on the aircraft.

Back