Cost to build a runway?

R

RobertGerace

I can dream, can't I? ;)

Does anyone know about how much it costs per foot?

I had a guy quote me one made of concrete......the number he gave me was like $750,000 for a concrete runway. But I don't remember if that included earth moving or the sand base.

if you just want a plain ol' airstrip on your farm, how hard is it to make one? My cousin is buying 120 acres up in PA.

One Million 200 thousand just beyond the northern edge of Peoria; 3200 feet concrete 50 wide, stressed for 12,500 lb a/c. Small concrete apron and 48x60 pole hangar. This does not include the road from the county road to the apron or the side road to the condominium hangars.

We're waiting for the GPAA (airport authority) to sell out 3MY for Condo and business space. Then it's off to the races.

THING I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH IN LIFE:
=============================

--scratch off building runway in back yard :p

woodstock said:
if you just want a plain ol' airstrip on your farm, how hard is it to make one? My cousin is buying 120 acres up in PA.
Time and a decent tractor with a roller and a mower deck. Oh, and a shovel to fill in the gopher holes. :D

glpilot said:
THING I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH IN LIFE:
=============================

--scratch off building runway in back yard :p

Ditto. :mad:

woodstock said:

Depends on the land, local terrain and what's on it right now. Knock the trees down, fill the holes, level it off, don't forget drainage issues, roll it to pack it good and solid, plant local grass that doesn't clump up. Forget the $55,000 hangars. That's silly. A concrete floor, cinderblock walls, door of your choice and a good strong roof will do very nicely for a civilized price.

IMHO: Make sure your plane can easily get in and out based on fully loaded numbers with a reasonable safety buffer in summer without scaring the squirrels in the top of the trees completely to death. (Hint: If you're at Vx off the runway and they jump when you go over, you're cutting it too close)

In the Catskill Mountains (southern NY) my family has a well packed runway. IME: Keep the grass cut short and well off to the sides of the primary useable runway surface and use it or at least drive down it regularly. That deters the groundhogs which will seriously ruin your day if you hit one of their huge speed pit holes. Keep the scoped 30.06 handy and don't hesitate to use it if they're anywhere on the runway side of the treeline.

There's nothing better than your own plane on a private grass runway in the mountains. It's the good life.

fgcason said:
There's nothing better than your own plane on a private grass runway in the mountains. It's the good life.

Next best thing would be your own plane on a private grass runway in Missouri. :)

Diana said:
Next best thing would be your own plane on a private grass runway in Missouri. :)

Here's a nice one just north of me. 69NC

Carol said:
Here's a nice one just north of me. 69NC

The Good Life! :) :dance:

It doesn't get much more fun than this: (no wimps, no clowns)

Are those power lines going through the trees? YEOW!

Carol said:
Are those power lines going through the trees? YEOW!

No. All those lines you see are instrument panel or cabin reflections in the side window. The mountain close on the left is something like 800 feet higher than the runway with a pristine valley on the other side.

But see that one tree near centered at the end of the runway? You clear that by less than 10 feet or you go around right then.

Here's some more pictures and explanations I put together for my friends:
http://beech-hill.home.att.net/BHL/BHL.html
ID: BHL
PW: thefarm

My favorite days there are total calm early afternoons. Once around the mountain (or in the valley), touchdown, roll to the end, 180 deg turn and go, repeat for an hour or so. You don't even need the brakes if you touch down where you're supposed to.

The Good Life...

Okay. Got it now. That link won't let me in. It requires a logon and password. But I could see what you meant from the other photo.

Carol said:
Okay. Got it now. That link won't let me in. It requires a logon and password. But I could see what you meant from the other photo.

logon: BHL
password: thefarm

That should get you in.

fgcason said:
logon: BHL
password: thefarm

That should get you in.

DOH. Got it now :)

Fascinating page! Looks like you have everything covered. Love the TD quote at the bottom.

Robert:

Good grass beats crappy paving every time. If you have appropriate terrain, you're almost there. If it's lined up with the prevailing winds, you're golden!

I helped a friend spec out a runway at his ranch, he even thought about putting in a little VASI (thought silly of it). Ran all the numbers, did all the work, decided it was ready for prime time.

Warm day (not hot), nice AA1, he made four passes at before he finally clinched, chopped, planted and braked. Stopped in plenty of time, and went immediately to the shed to get the Stihl for a little chainsaw engineering on the trees. Said they grew ten feet in one day.

Such a treat, you should do it.

I want to do it, but I don't want to operate off grass as the 310 is known for gear problems... :(

RobertGerace said:
I want to do it, but I don't want to operate off grass as the 310 is known for gear problems... :(
Don't suppose there is a rather lonely road nearby? It's been known to happen...regularly...out West here.

"Where's the runway?"
"Ah, see that road? Any cars coming?"
"No."
"Put her down there. Hangar is the big white building with the open door. Try to make it quick, ok?"

Back