Cost of Written Exams?

I swear Lasergrade couldn't come up with a more buggy testing system if they tried. I remember from taking my written exams the lady was always telling me don't hit this or that because it would crash the entire system.

The program looked slightly more modern then a mono color teletype. You had to use the image supplemental booklet because the built in viewer never worked correctly.

I remember one of the questions I got on my IR exam was over a RNAV approach into KLIT from the 70s and I took the test in 2011!!!

I swear Lasergrade couldn't come up with a more buggy testing system if they tried. I remember from taking my written exams the lady was always telling me don't hit this or that because it would crash the entire system.

The program looked slightly more modern then a mono color teletype. You had to use the image supplemental booklet because the built in viewer never worked correctly.

I remember one of the questions I got on my IR exam was over a RNAV approach into KLIT from the 70s and I took the test in 2011!!!

It is a very good thing as an applicant that all sites are being transitioned into CATs. The software is much more logical and it doesn't look like you're about to boot up Oregon Trail.

It is a very good thing as an applicant that all sites are being transitioned into CATs. The software is much more logical and it doesn't look like you're about to boot up Oregon Trail.

*River Crossing*
"You lost 10 cattle and Mary has Typhoid"

I've only used CATS once and that was last decade...back then it was black and white plain text. Lasergrade was the modern one with a pretty picture of hot air balloons during demo. So CATS has presumably been updated and is the more modern one now?

I've only used CATS once and that was last decade...back then it was black and white plain text. Lasergrade was the modern one with a pretty picture of hot air balloons during demo. So CATS has presumably been updated and is the more modern one now?

Yes, CATs is much more modern and it runs a lot cleaner too. If the proctor station goes down for whatever reason the applicant is not effected as everything can be done on the testing computers. With PSI/Lasergrade all exams were 100% dependent on the proctor station for loading and results. And on CATs it's got a white screen background that's modernish, PSI was a bright blue background with white text. Not easy to stare at for hours.

How times have changed. My entire PPC cost $400 in 1965!

Ugh, I paid $415 for my flight lesson on Sunday...1.6 hours flight and 2.6 ground total (I asked for additional ground to cover some things prior to the flight).

Ugh, I paid $415 for my flight lesson on Sunday...1.6 hours flight and 2.6 ground total (I asked for additional ground to cover some things prior to the flight).
Welcome to the twenty-teens!

To keep ground lessons from dragging into expensive territory, my method is to have no more than three items I need explaining written down, and then a timer counting down from 45 minutes. Knowing that I have limited time makes sure I keep the conversation on track and not wandering off on tangents.

You are lost in a maze of twisty little passages.
Ever wonder if you had your Computer Science class go through a complete original game of Crystal Caves or Zork, would they enjoy it? Especially after being inundated with the offerings of today's console games.

Ever wonder if you had your Computer Science class go through a complete original game of Crystal Caves or Zork, would they enjoy it? Especially after being inundated with the offerings of today's console games.
I use it to teach graph theory. Crystal Caves came first, evolved into Adventure, then one of the game companies based Zork on it. It was the first of the story-based games. It's the ancestor of just about every contemporary game as well as MMORG.

I remember taking my private written on the "blue background" system in 2014 which had a built in E6B. Took commercial written last week on the "white background" system and either it didn't have the E6B or I couldn't find it. Luckily I only had one question where it would have been good to have, but I remembered the answer from Sheppard Air. Did I miss it, or is it no longer available?

$150 each in January 2019 for FIA and AGI at US Aviation Academy at KDTO.

I take the FII and IGI this week at Pro Test at KFTW and will update once those are done.

$165 for my Instrument written next Monday, but being an AOPA member gets a $15 discount so it's $150

There is a rapidly growing trend to destroy aviation in America. Higher and higher costs, incomprehensible regulation and Monopolizing the testing portion is just another step. If you didn't already know it, Monopolies in America are illegal and this is Government approved. Wait till there is only one aviation insurer left.
Monopolies are not illegal, only regulated. Anti-trust exemptions at the government's whim.

Monopolies are not illegal, in fact many (or arguably most) are caused by the government — for example, FAA written testing.

My PPL was $600, my IR was $700

You guys want to know expensive? Check out Embry-Riddle. It costs about $20K for Aviation Maintenance School there, then you have to pay them several hundred dollars to take a AMT preliminary exam before they'll give you permission to take the actual AMT exam.

I didn't know about all the costs when I started looking into getting my A&P. I decided I'd do a semester or two at a local school, then transfer to ERAU to finish. Partway through, I realized I was doing a good job of teaching myself so I continued with that school. The preliminary exam was free, and I think I might have paid $75 for the actual written, and maybe $200 for the practical. Oh yes, as I was between jobs at the time, my tuition was about $1.00 per semester, and I finished in the allotted four.

I did get my Avionics Line Maintenance Certificate at ERAU, and there was no exam nor preliminary exam. I got my third class radio operator's permit on my own, for just the cost of the materials, and a testing fee.

In case anyone was wondering... I passed :)
Congratulations! Hopefully you never have to take that test again. For what it's worth, I took the IFR written in November and it was $140.

Back