Cost of prop overhauls?

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
My two Hartzell three blade props have not been looked at for at least six years, and I think it's time to check them out. They only have around 400 hours, and the blades are in good shape, but the deice boots are getting a little ragged. No motion of the blades fore/aft, side/side/etc.

I've heard it costs roughly $1,000/blade, and they come back newly painted with new boots. What are the experiences of other POAers? I'm just trying to budget for the next annual. (Have to do the ridiculous switch mod for my Baron- that alone should cost 2K)

Depends on the specific prop. Mine was subject to 1) the AD, and 2) Hartzell's MANDATORY TBO (they got it written into the type certificate). I ended up getting a new one as it was only $1000 more than the full overhaul with the AD compliance. IIRC, the overhaul itself was $3000-$3500.

Mine was subject to 1) the AD, and 2) Hartzell's MANDATORY TBO (they got it written into the type certificate). I ended up getting a new one as it was only $1000 more than the full overhaul with the AD compliance.
Hopefully, the new one was an STCd replacement that doesn't have that dumb TC restriction...

The overhaul of the Two blade props with boots on the Malibu have been running $1800- $2200.(no AD notes) The boots drive the cost up. A feathering propeller may be more.

Kevin

I got my front wheel, on my 182, in a unpacked trench that was dug to put in a new runway lights conduit. I had to replace two blades and have the rub overhauled. Each blade cost $1000. and I think it was $350. for the rub. Total $2350. as I can remember. Bob

So, assuming no hub corrosion, I should be looking at around $3k to 4.5K per prop to overhaul and replace the boots? These are not electric boots but fluid slingers for the TKS.

Do they normally do the prop governor and accumulators as well? Should I be thinking about doing this at the same time?

Most operators overhaul the prop governors at engine overhaul. I normally did the unfeathering accumulators with the props during my Cessna and Beech days.

Kevin

Back