Cost of Operation and Training

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Cabin class twin Cessna vs. C208?

I am helping a charitable with a possible purchase, and requirements are more loading than speed. They want to be able to take 5-6 passengers and I'd estimate 100 lbs or so baggage on hops around 300 nm (which is why incredible speed isn't an issue).

What is the budget?
Right--should have mentioned that. I told them that they need to think $500k-$750k.

Though the C208 has more capacity, a big cabin class twin seems cheaper at least for initial purchase.

A well equipped C-414 with mid time engines can be found for under $400k while a decent used C-208 can be found for around $700k.

I was looking at about $800 an hour for operating expenses when doing a similar mission comparison. It was between a cabin-class twin and a SE turbine like a Meridian or TBM.

Right--should have mentioned that. I told them that they need to think $500k-$750k.

Though the C208 has more capacity, a big cabin class twin seems cheaper at least for initial purchase.

You might as well rule out a Caravan with that budget.

If load hauling on short hops is the goal I'd look at a Cessna 402 or a Navajo. Pressurization doesn't seem to be a concern if you're proposing the idea of a Caravan...

You might as well rule out a Caravan with that budget.

If load hauling on short hops is the goal I'd look at a Cessna 402 or a Navajo. Pressurization doesn't seem to be a concern if you're proposing the idea of a Caravan...
It would be nice, but not necessary.

But how about upkeep and training?

For example, what is a rough per-hour operating cost on a single 650 SHP turbine engine as opposed to two 325 HP pistons?

Last edited:
In other words, I'm wondering if the C208 starts out more expensive but is less expensive over time.

It would be nice, but necessary.

But how about upkeep and training?

For example, what is a rough per-hour operating cost on a single 650 SHP turbine engine as opposed to two 325 HP pistons?

That might be hard to nail down an answer to. I assume this is a part 91 operation? How much annual use?

I personally believe that the piston twin will be cheaper for you to operate, maintain, and insure, especially if it will be in a relatively low use environment. I also believe it is going to be hard to find a decent Caravan for less than $1m which eliminates it from the running based on your budget.

Thanks everyone. It is looking like a Navajo or similar would be a good choice!

Back