Corsicana, TX airshow 2018 May 19

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Update: I received a word from Sq. Commander, Mr. Authier: "GA is welcome, but please land as early as possible."

Apparently it's CAF AirSho, which used to be a big deal. The only time I visited it, it was held in Midland, and the visiting requirements were so onerous, that I flew into an airpark in Odessa and took a taxi to the show. Fast forward a few years, and how things have changed. First, I cannot find a pilot's flyer at all on the Internet. Contacting CAF officials seems to be impossible too. The host sqadron's site has no phone number and their e-mail submission form is over the quota. The only public thing that actually works is Facebook, but it has no useful information at all.

At this point, I'm going just fly in before the TFR goes hot at 11:00 local time, and hope for the best.

as Posterweb.jpg

Last edited:
The weather is not looking great for the airshow, btw. Hoping that it will clear up but being very skeptical for this weekend.
If you find out anything more, please do post here, Pete. I'l ask my aerobatic friend, he just might be performing or at least know who to call.

Though outside of the regular TFR for the show, they do not usually restrict airport usage. And they usually fail to post any NOTAMs about parking. And the airboss isn't active before the show so when you arrive, expect chaos when you taxi to parking. BTDT.
You can also try to contact the airport manager, he better have a good handle on things if he's allowing the airshow at his airport. :)
Manager:
TERRY FRANKS
200 N. 12TH
CORSICANA, TX 75110
Phone (903) 654-4884

TAF for Love Field and Waco predict the same weather: scattered clouds at 3,000 AGL and a broken layer way up high, winds from the south at 16-17 knots. Seems like a perfect weather almost.

I called the FBO and the desk girl told me that the field will be closed and the FBO building will be closed. But they have self-serve. The organizers are a black hole, no response. Not even sure who they are, so I tried to reach Coyote Squadron officials.

Planning to arrive with half tanks an hour or more early and then if I cannot find parking, I'll have to bug out before TFR opens.

Thanks for the information. I am still unsure whether I will be able to make it tomorrow. I'd love to but you know how it is, life gets in the way of flying. :(

20180519-kcrs-01.jpg
1. The Carlson sitting all alone.

At first I tried to park at the tiedowns, but apparently those were for performers. A fat person in a red pickup truck read me a lecture about safety and sent me to a segregated area with no foot traffic. So my idea to advertise the airplane came to nothing.

The squadron commander and volunteers on the ramp were quite welcoming. Dunno who that guy was.

20180519-kcrs-02.jpg

2. Visitors, all of them

Aside from myself, only 2 pilots flew in -- although possibly someone managed to sneak into the tiedown ramp. I remember that back in the 90s, airshows had a massive fly-in attendance. Airplanes received cardboard sleeves to be put on the props, which said "this airplane is not to be judged". Well, that was 20 years ago, almost a whole generation in the past.

The CAF AirSho itself shrunk dramatically from the one that I attended in Midland. That one had sunset acts on Friday, a dozen of P-51s attending, a whole bunch of aircraft. Volunteers continue their struggle, but it feels like the end is drawing near.

20180519-kcrs-03.jpg
3. Falcon Flight

New Mexico has a similar group, called "Chili Flight".

20180519-kcrs-04.jpg
4. Devil Dog

I have a T-shirt that I bought off David White when he was a volunteer for the Devil Dog crew. Sadly, I wasn't wearing it.

DD made an appearance? Awesome. Too bad I could not attend. :(
Is this the whole audience?
No, there were more. Comparing with the size of anime conventions that I am familiar with, maybe a 700 or 1,000 people all told. Lots of children of various ages.

Back