Corrosion

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Is this something that can be stop with treatments, or is that just prolonging the problem... I have been reading AC 43 4B and is seems that the FAA has addressed this, but it seems this is just a way to manage the problem... not fix it..

Advice?

Is this something that can be stop with treatments, or is that just prolonging the problem... I have been reading AC 43 4B and is seems that the FAA has addressed this, but it seems this is just a way to manage the problem... not fix it..

Advice?

The corrosion has to be completely removed and the area treated. And the other method is to replace the damaged material with new, treated material.

Advice?

Current corrosion treatments are effective, but there are locations on various makes and models where periodic replacement is required.

It's all headed to dust eventually, every last one of them.
All we can do is slow that down.

As mentioned: on what; where; what type corrosion; etc, etc. Some is treatable. Some is repairable. And some requires part replacement. Pictures? Aircraft?

Thank you all for the replies...

This is on a 1974 Cherokee that I am considering as a plane to start a club with. When I had asked the question "what is my guy going find when we do a pre-buy/annual inspection" he noted that there is some internal corrosion on the outer wing and that was brought to his attention during the last annual, but singed off on and should be addressed using some Corrosion X/ACF 50 in the future. The plane came from western Washington state (lots of rain).

Being in a dry climate this is not something I have dealt with..

Being in a dry climate this is not something I have dealt with..
Corrosion X is the better product. Most Part 135 helicopter ops in the Gulf of Mexico have long switched to Corr X as it performs better than 50. The key is applying it as a mist. And as an FYI, corrosion is not all about whether it's a rainy/humid environment. Various air pollutants (i.e., urban areas) are just as detrimental on aluminum and can cause corrosion also. Keeping the aircraft clean and using some sort of corrosion preventative plan usually keeps you ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Corrosion X is the better product. Most Part 135 helicopter ops in the Gulf of Mexico have long switched to Corr X as it performs better than 50. The key is applying it as a mist. And as an FYI, corrosion is not all about whether it's a rainy/humid environment. Various air pollutants (i.e., urban areas) are just as detrimental on aluminum and can cause corrosion also. Keeping the aircraft clean and using some sort of corrosion preventative plan usually keeps you ahead of the game.

Thanks.. my question would be if you spot the corrosion wouldn't you want to treat it right away? Telling me that it was spotted during and annual and it was only noted and advised to be looked after in a year or two seems a little strange.

Thanks.. my question would be if you spot the corrosion wouldn't you want to treat it right away? Telling me that it was spotted during and annual and it was only noted and advised to be looked after in a year or two seems a little strange.
Perhaps they did a spot treatment of the corrosion and planned to watch it? Can't really comment without more info. However, in some cases, people view light surface corrosion in the AlClad coating of the aluminum as normal wear and tear vs something out of the ordinary. But corrosion never goes away on its own so a complete corrosion control plan is always the best practice in my book regardless of where the plane resides. Here's some additional reading that will give you more background:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-4B.pdf

Perhaps they did a spot treatment of the corrosion and planned to watch it? Can't really comment without more info. However, in some cases, people view light surface corrosion in the AlClad coating of the aluminum as normal wear and tear vs something out of the ordinary. But corrosion never goes away on its own so a complete corrosion control plan is always the best practice in my book regardless of where the plane resides. Here's some additional reading that will give you more background:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-4B.pdf

Thanks

Back