Correct Pathway to take

The initial Special Issuance for Obstructive Sleep Apnea isn't difficult to obtain, as long as you bring to the AME the proper supportive documentation. @Matthew has the current list

Thanks for the paste from the medx guide. OSA is the easier of the things to deal with apparently. PCP put me on a drug that is not certifiable for Irritability and weight loss that I am going to have to deal with. Does not sound like a fun process overall.

A little longer path thing that may change your eventual outcome on "which plane" might be "how old is the oldest child? How long will they be flying with you?" ... thinking if they're 16, 17-ish, then you may be looking at needing one less seat fairly soon? Conversely, the weight will continue to increase as the kids get older/bigger.

A little longer path thing that may change your eventual outcome on "which plane" might be "how old is the oldest child? How long will they be flying with you?" ... thinking if they're 16, 17-ish, then you may be looking at needing one less seat fairly soon? Conversely, the weight will continue to increase as the kids get older/bigger.

Completely agree. Something I have in the back of my head, but the oldest if 14 and we hope she stays local for college, so 7 more years. I'm finding that while it may work today, it likely won't work long term. So I'm still trying to figure it out. Still have to deal w/ medical first.

The crowd yells "Bonanza!" but you just really need a PC-12. :D (one of which I fly and one of which I covet!) :)

The crowd yells "Bonanza!" but you just really need a PC-12. :D (one of which I fly and one of which I covet!) :)

Yes, I've looked at those. I'd also need a new career that pays me a lot more than I make today. :( Or win the lottery. I keep trying to dream.

Does your plane have to be certified? I ask because there are also Experimental Planes (amateur built) that will meet your mission requirement, often at a lower cost than certified. You can't use them for commercial purposes, and they only need an A&P to inspect them. Unless you have tons of time and really want to build a plane, you're better off buying than building. A possible 6 place could be from Comp-Air, http://compairinc.com/, but they are notorious for lack of builder support. They are based in Merritt Island, FL.

The rule of thumb for breaking even in renting vs. owning is about 100 hours per year. If you are going to get a 6 seater as soon as you get your PPL, might as well rent the plane you train in.

One other thing. You can train in a LSA, without a medical, to PPL standards, and if you get your medical, move up to a 6 seater, or whatever. Just make sure you can pass your medical before you take it. Will save a ton of time, money, and aggravation. And if you can't pass it, you haven't failed it, so you are still Sport Pilot eligible (but you can only take one of your family with you).

Thanks. I'd never heard of the concept of experimental, but looks very interesting. While I am mechanical, I'm probably not one to build my own plane quickly.

While the Sport Pilot seems reasonable, it seems the LSA weight requirements are being upped next year. If I meet all of the PPL standards while a LSA holder is it just taking the new written test and the exam at that point?

By the way, you can get the taildragger/complex/HP endorsements before your private. Many people conduct their entire training in such aircraft.

I was wondering about that. One of the planes that I had an eye on was a 172RG but didn't know if you could fly one of those prior to having the endorsement. Thanks!

Well I am more of a read it myself and ask questions type of person. I would like to just find a CFI with a plane and who wants the hours, but I haven't found any in my area. I have my discovery flight this weekend (if it doesn't rain out).
Where are you located?

I was wondering about that. One of the planes that I had an eye on was a 172RG but didn't know if you could fly one of those prior to having the endorsement. Thanks!
Just need a CFI in the plane if you do not have an endorsement so even if you are a student that is fine.

That would be a huge negative to my overall mission. We typically travel 9 hours each way to visit family (2.5 hour flight) 6-8 times a year, but would like to do it more frequently, so flying would be a huge help. Flying 6 people commercially would still take 6 hours due to layovers and cost well over 3k.

I am sure I am completely missing something, but 1980 Piper Saratoga has max useful capacity of 1650. 100g of fuel = 650lbs, me 200, wife 120, daughter 120, son, 80, daughter 45 and son 35 = 1280, leaving enough for some luggage. Now I don't know if useful weight includes nav and other items. Granted 2 of the kids are young, but by the time they are bigger the daughter will be out of the house.

That said, if it is not realistic to use a 6 person to fly 6 people and luggage, while I'll look to get my license it will just change the overall objective. Just trying to go in eyes wide open. :)

Hold the phone. Your wife gained 10 pounds since you started this thread? I’m sorry man, the math isn’t working out! :D

Teasing aside get your private license first if somewhat interested. Actually first take your wife and yourself up for a discovery ride. Get your kids up on discovery rides.

Small planes aren’t for everyone. Some people just don’t like the unsettled feeling of somewhat uncoordinated flight that small planes offer. My wife? No problem. One of my daughters tolerates it on occasion. Other daughter? Nope. She tried. Went around the pattern. Wanted right back down. One niece I took up was similar but lasted an hour before feeling sick.

Don’t do this because you think you are saving money. You won’t be. Do this because you love aviation and your entire family loves flying in small planes.

Also agree with others. If flying a family of six don’t assume a six seater is sufficient. Just be wary of the load and balance. Don’t shortcut that math. Read up on planes that crashed due to overloading and/or CG out of limits. While at it read up on fathers flying their families to their deaths. Aviation is not to be taken lightly. A lot of stuff can go wrong, even to experienced pilots.

Best of luck out there!

@woodchucker - Thanks! We've both been dieting for the past 8 weeks and she's down 5-10 depending on the day and I'm down 30. But point taken and I greatly appreciate the insight of everyone on the board who has provided helpful advice. Very helpful comment in terms of seeing what the family is going to do. The wife tolerates flying at best and has flown private via commercial pilot before but wouldn't prefer it.

Again - appreciate the insight.

1) Get the medical taken care of. The drug for "irritability" is a concern. Not necessarily the drug, but why you're put on it. FAA gets really picky about any "psychological" issues in the history. Not casting aspersions, just something to consider. A lot of prospective pilots are screwed for life because of prescribed drugs and diagnostic codes that didn't consider the long-term ramifications; this is a whole topic, check the Medical forum.
When it comes to medicals (and you only have to "pass" the first one- google "Basicmed"), if there is any doubt there is no doubt. Consult someone like Bruce and do exactly what he recommends, no push-back.
2) If the wife isn't on-board 100%, you will have an uphill battle, unfortunately. Still, fly for your own enjoyment if the budget and family time allows.
3) Assuming you do get her on-board, I'd suggest getting your PPL and then IR in short order. The IR will help your confidence level and safety overall, but it's not a license to launch into all weather. In the midwest you're going to want ice protection in the winter. For the family load you're talking abut, that means either a twin or a relatively speedy large single (but those will be load-limited fuel v pax). You're really talking about a larger piston twin like a Navajo long-term, perhaps an Aztec to build time. But a good single engine Cherokee 6 will do most of the job as you gain experience and not be an issue when it comes to insurance, plus you'll need a multi rating for a twin. Not difficult, just more training and the insurance co is going to want a fair amount of mentor time (meaning an experienced multi pilot with significant time in whatever specific aircraft you buy) flying with you in the right seat. Maybe 50 hours.
4) Speaking of insurance, a large single worth $100K will cost a couple thousand a year to insure, especially for a low-time pilot. A multiengine can be 4-5K for at least the first year. And speaking of life insurance, make sure there are no exclusions on your policy for flying.
5) Assuming you've made it this far, what's your budget for training and flying in general? Depending on how you do it and how fast you learn, budget maybe $10K all-in to get the Private, another $5K to get the IR. These numbers vary greatly depending on a lot of factors, mostly the airplane rental cost. Almost no one these days gets a PPL in the minimum 40 hour time. National avg is more like 50-60, sometimes more. If you train at a busy airport you will burn $$ just waiting to take off.
6) Owning an airplane to satisfy the mission requirements in the OP are not for the faint of heart or the wallet of a guy with four kids to educate unless you are well-healed. Mama is going to have a lot to say about this; See #2 above. It is doable but you have to make the commitment of a lot of dough. Purchase price is just the cost of admission; it's the upkeep that will get you. You can buy (another whole topic- it's not like buying a car off the lot) a plane for say $75K- and this is the low end for your mission for a mid-time Cherokee 6-- that checks out fine during the pre-buy inspection but lunches an engine the next day (hopefully on the ground). Instant $40K burn, minimum, if you have to rebuild/replace the engine. You need to be mentally and financially prepared for that possibility. Fuel, hangar or tie-down, insurance, recurrent training, supplies, repairs, inspections. Your buddy can fill you in on this.
7) If this hasn't discouraged you, you've passed the hardest part!

:yeahthat:

Especially the points about the medical and having the wife on your side... especially regarding the big expenditures you are about to take on before, during, and after training.

If the irratibilty medication is classified as an SSRI, here is my cut and paste info about that that may help you.

The SSRI you mention will be an item you need to learn more about how the FAA handles this.

Start with this page of the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. Read the entire page, then click the link about SSRI initial certification and read that.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

The FAA provides you two paths to certification... Path #1 is if you can successfully wean off of the medication and be okay without it. There are still some particular steps you must go through, but they are not as many with Path #2, where you remain on the medication

For a really good explanation of the process from an airman's point of view, read this post by @cogscreamer

As mentioned by many members here, a really good HIMS AME to start talking to is Dr. Bruce Chien. Go to his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com and click the How To Start page. Your initial conversations with him will provide you the right knowledge of how to start and proceed through the process. You are more than welcome to find more info on you're own. But Dr. Bruce's knowledge, experience, and expertise will trump Google each time.

And which ever HIMS AME you choose, make sure you do not do an official live exam with any AME until all you initial questions have been answered, all preparatory reports (including exams by non-AME's and psychologists) are done, your submission file is 100% complete and properly organized, and your HIMS AME is willing to say with 100% certainty that you will eventually be issued your medical certificate.

Hi @Kramek,

Just some thoughts as they arrive in my brain.

Have fun thinking about this and asking questions and learning....but the medical must not be overlooked or rushed. Given the apnea, asthma and meds you listed your medical will be complicated.

Buying a plane with the purpose to learn in it and save money really won't save you that much in the end. As an owner you have insurance, hangar, finance fees, mx reserves, annual, etc. All that as well as fuel will probably get close to a Archer or 172 rental rate. I just learned in our 182 and with all costs accounted for i probably paid close to 75% of a rental rate.

Because you want to haul 6 people around, you're going to blowing thru lots of fuel and mx if you get one of the 6-seaters you listed. Now, If you already had lots of flight hours with other pilots, know 100% sure you love it and wanted something a bit smaller and more common then buy it and learn in it. But with your desire for a 6-seat plane, at least get your PPL in a smaller rental first.

Don't forget about clubs. There's one near here with (2) Centurions :) I've never done W&B on a 210 but while your family is young it might also work.

Probability of all 6 family members being comfortable with flying might be a risk area. Pretty much all the singles you've listed can get bounced around noticeably on hot summer days, seats are small, it can be smelly from fuel, no potty, no a/c, etc. It is not like commercial (but can be fun!!!)

Probability of making all those trips each year, especially the first few years as you gain confidence in wx - will probably be 50% in the summer and like 20% in the winter. And there will be times you will leave a day late for wx or return a day early for wx. So let's say you wanted to do (6) 3-day trips with the family. Until you are a IFR, very confident pilot you'd probably get 3 of the 6 flights in and at least one would be cut short.

You mentioned finding a CFI with their own plane. That doesn't seem very common. Maybe I have this wrong, but if they use their own plane and charge for flight time I believe it is then a business and no young CFI wanting to make the majors is gonna mess with that due to other requirements?

You say it will be cheaper to fly your plane with all 6 vs airlines. I get that and if you did it enough you'd be right. But just remember flying will cost way more than driving which is what you are used to now. Where driving might cost you $50 each way, flying might cost you $200 each wsy.

Given the complexities of 6 seats and some of the odds above maybe you will wind up with a nice 4 seater like a Dakota and a few of you fly while the rest drive. A compromise.

Now if I was asked to fly 5 people and me, the first thing I'd do is hire a cfi and a trip to the gas station to buy rock salt bags to simulate those precious souls weights and do several flights to have a good feeling for the CG, takeoff, climb and landing characteristics - especially in summer.

Flying is amazing! Get that medical figured out and take a discovery flight while that's going through. After that knock out your PPL. By the time you are done with that and fly for a year a lot of the things being said here by the others will have more meaning. Your optimism will be tempered by experience.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I have started down the SSRI Path 1 process. There is no formal diagnosis of any mental health issues, my wife is in health care, and after starting a new job, taking lead on a multi-billion dollar project, sitting for CPA, and kids, my wife thought a non-SSRI would help take the edge off (short temper w/ 1 of the kids :rolleyes:). But I am dealing with it and all the stresses have moved on. Kinda like someone said in the medical boards, most dr.'s take the attitude if it isn't broke why fix it.

Definitely hear all the feedback on family. Wife acceptability factor is a big unknown. I've resolved myself to just get the PPL for myself rather than for family purposes, and once I get past the PPL (start here)/IFR/Commerical/CFI path I will reevaluate my overall mission. I do need more time and experience b/f jumping both feet in on the larger side.

I still think buying is a better decision financially, but will start w/ the club for the first 5-10 hours and then evaluate what I should get for personal use and getting hours. As I've read here buying is such a personal decision and people have all types of views, e.g., high wing vs low wing vs HP, etc. Thank you again for all the comments. Why I initially asked my question - education from someone whose been there done that is valuable.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I have started down the SSRI Path 1 process. There is no formal diagnosis of any mental health issues, my wife is in health care, and after starting a new job, taking lead on a multi-billion dollar project, sitting for CPA, and kids, my wife thought a non-SSRI would help take the edge off (short temper w/ 1 of the kids :rolleyes:). But I am dealing with it and all the stresses have moved on. Kinda like someone said in the medical boards, most dr.'s take the attitude if it isn't broke why fix it.

Definitely hear all the feedback on family. Wife acceptability factor is a big unknown. I've resolved myself to just get the PPL for myself rather than for family purposes, and once I get past the PPL (start here)/IFR/Commerical/CFI path I will reevaluate my overall mission. I do need more time and experience b/f jumping both feet in on the larger side.

I still think buying is a better decision financially, but will start w/ the club for the first 5-10 hours and then evaluate what I should get for personal use and getting hours. As I've read here buying is such a personal decision and people have all types of views, e.g., high wing vs low wing vs HP, etc. Thank you again for all the comments. Why I initially asked my question - education from someone whose been there done that is valuable.
Much wisdom in your post. Take it a step at a time. Try all you want, you will find out you just can not rush the aviation machine.

I thought of one more thing. With a wife and all those kids...aviation just may be YOUR escape :)

aviation just may be YOUR escape :) -

too true. I'm just looking forward to the $100 hamburger.

I still think buying is a better decision financially,
Book suggestion for you.... Highly suggest reading it before you do anything more than just looking at the sale sites like Trade-a-Plane.

"Purchasing and Evaluating Airplanes" by Brian M. Jacobson

51ovEK%2BQjmL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks. I'll definitely look into it.

Keep in mind that there’s a lot more to aviation than traveling. As was mentioned, this may prove to be your hobby/escape instead of a more practical way to travel with the family.

There’s aerobatics, gliders, Young Eagles (rides for kids), and more. There are various kinds of competitions available. Flying a simple plane (like a Cub or Champ) low and slow for 40 minutes before sunset is the best therapy I’ve ever known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I restart flight training, I'm going to at least solo in someone else's plane, just because learning to land is hard on the undercarriage, and I'd rather someone else's plane gets that pounding. Then, I'll start looking for a plane that will take me at least through PPL, and is good for cross-country work, because that is what post-solo is mostly about. Most FBOs don't like their CFI's to teach in a plane they don't own, so I'll have to find a CFI that is OK teaching in whatever plane I get (probably a Glasair Aviation GlaStar).

It just my wife and me, so a 2 seater will do fine, if I can fit into it. If I need more seats, I can always rent. I think one of our friend couples would be OK in a Skyhawk, but another couple would need a Skylane (or similar aircraft). They can share the rental 50/50, so it wouldn't be that big a hit for me to rent a larger plane.

Most FBOs don't like their CFI's to teach in a plane they don't own, so I'll have to find a CFI that is OK teaching in whatever plane I get (probably a Glasair Aviation GlaStar).
This was not my experience. Where I started training (using our 182) the FBO was fine with it, they just needed to have them added on our insurance which came to about +$150 for the year but we only used them for about 6 months. They did have their A&P review the logs to make sure things were okay. They also "penalized" me if you will by increasing the CFI's rate by $5/hr when he was flying and standard rate for ground time. There was also a Cirrus SR20 there which did not belong to them and they seemed fine with that plane (looked nice on the ramp too!). I think all of the CFI's were interested to fly in our 182 or the SR20 over the planes they were using normally, mostly out of trying something different or new.

If you're looking for a 6-seater, the PA-32's are your best bet. The -36 series Bonanzas can also take 6, The PA-24 Commanche can also haul 6 people (you'd be looking at a 260B model.
You can get your complex and high-performance endorsements without an IFR rating or commercial certificate, but for these aircraft, they'll usually want you to have some hours and your IFR if you're looking to buy one.

Questions:
1) I'm getting anything this big will require a IFR and complex rating, prior to actually flying this class of aircraft?
2) What would be a good aircraft to buy that I could easily get to the level required to step into that class of aircraft?
3) Is the correct process PPL/IFR/Complex? And should I get CFI somewhere in there?

Again, I am about 1 week into research but haven't found all of the answers.

Many thanks![/QUOTE]

1)
Legally, you can fly a nice PA32 or 36-series Bonanza with a PPL, High Perf and Complex sign-off. Instrument isn't necessary.
But.... they have speed and range to fly you easily into the nearest IMC and, personally, I consider the Instrument rating just short of mandatory.

2)
If you want to fly a PA32, then rent some PA28 time, then some PA32 time, then buy your PA32 of your dreams.
If you want to fly an A36, and want it's mini-me, you'll probably need to buy a 4-seat Bonanza first, as they're tough to locate for rental.

3)
PPL can be followed with Complex and High Perf with little trouble. The Instrument Rating is next, IMO. CFI? Um, okay. If you want.

Back