Copy Wifi Info to another user

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Over the years I've managed to collect a few wifi SSIDs and Passwords for friends and relatives' networks when we visit. Is there a way that I can import this list into my other family members iOS devices?

The only possible way I can think of is via some sort of export from Keychain Manager, but I don't know if it has such a thing.

Not sure if there is with an iOS device since Apple doesn't really allow sharing, and I'm not sure doing this is particularly ethical. Someone wants to hook onto someone's protected network, they should have the courtesy to ask.

Not sure if there is with an iOS device since Apple doesn't really allow sharing, and I'm not sure doing this is particularly ethical. Someone wants to hook onto someone's protected network, they should have the courtesy to ask.

Windows 10 automatically shares WiFi network info with your "contacts" unless you turn that crap off. Itll happily share networks you "collected" from others, too.

Windows 10 automatically shares WiFi network info with your "contacts" unless you turn that crap off. Itll happily share networks you "collected" from others, too.

Private networks WPA type stuff? I can see it sharing it within my network of stuff synced to my account, but sharing it to other people's stuff? Apple makes it hard enough to share music. I guess if you use a pass key program on the primary synch computer, then put the same pass key program on all the platforms. I still think it's impolite though.

A valid concern. In this case, it's family that has given permission for me to use their wifi when I visit and I want to copy that over to my childrens' iPads, so it won't have to be done manually.

A valid concern. In this case, it's family that has given permission for me to use their wifi when I visit and I want to copy that over to my childrens' iPads, so it won't have to be done manually.

If you can somehow copy that file out of your iTunes account on a synch computer and into their's, perhaps it will synch. This is what I have to do with music, not sure it can be done with pass keys though.:dunno:

Or a third party app that you can do it through?

I don't think they have a way to do it.

On a related note, this is a common issue at a lot of people's houses. There's a decent solution to it on some routers. I have a separate "guest" network set up from the router that provides internet access only and is isolated from everything else. I leave it open with no password and tell people to just connect to that one.

Might not work for someone in apartments or with a lot of houses clustered close by but it's been a pretty good solution here.

It is in there and tied to iCloud. I haven't researched it, but my stored SSID list was 100+ long when I looked at it in OS X. OS X slurped up all stored networks from all devices from my traveling over five years. I pruned it, then connected it to a new access point. Minutes later, with no intervention on my part, my iphone and iPad had connected automagically. While generally helpful, sucked this time, as this access point was on a metered connection.

Add on to above: this may be an El Cap new feature.

I don't think they have a way to do it.

On a related note, this is a common issue at a lot of people's houses. There's a decent solution to it on some routers. I have a separate "guest" network set up from the router that provides internet access only and is isolated from everything else. I leave it open with no password and tell people to just connect to that one.

Might not work for someone in apartments or with a lot of houses clustered close by but it's been a pretty good solution here.

That's how I handle the networks on yachts as well, just partition an open guest network, and when we're having guests I turn it on.

It is in there and tied to iCloud. I haven't researched it, but my stored SSID list was 100+ long when I looked at it in OS X. OS X slurped up all stored networks from all devices from my traveling over five years. I pruned it, then connected it to a new access point. Minutes later, with no intervention on my part, my iphone and iPad had connected automagically. While generally helpful, sucked this time, as this access point was on a metered connection.

I have El Capitan on my iMac, but I do not have Wi-Fi turned on (using hardline for net access). If my iPhone has a list of connections, where would I go in El Cap to find the list? I should then be able to transfer it easily as the other members of my family also have accounts on the iMac and theoretically it would transfer to their iDevices.

On your OS X Mac, go to iCloud control panel. Keychain is an option to sync. Whatever iDevice uses that same iCloud account will get all of the keychain info, wifi SSID, from fills, and passwords too. Didn't know but it was added in 10.9.

Look into the command line command Netsh.

In there you'll see how to show the wireless network passwords that are stored in your machine, which is presumably allowed on the wifi networks you're attempting to get to.

Then use the normal network add routine for the device you're attempting to connect and punch up the password when asked.

Many sites on the interwebs will explain the exact Netsh command. Just hit the google button.

Back