Copperstate 2016 - Mesa, AZ - 10/28 & 10/29

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Anyone know about the Copperstate Fly-In? https://www.copperstate.org/

It's at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ, which is new.

Any feel for who attends?
What kind of stuff is there for forums, exhibitors, etc?

The AOPA Fly-In at Prescott, AZ, is just four weeks earlier and not far away. Will that hurt attendance?

The CopperState's show is always a nicely attended event with vendors, seminars, demos and lots of planes. Having it at Falcon should be a boost. In the past, traffic was a pain, but having two runways and a tower should help out now.

Lots of folks I talk to are upset that they moved it to Falcon and are saying they are not going. I bet they get a lot more people driving in and less flying. Just what I hear.....

Lots of folks I talk to are upset that they moved it to Falcon and are saying they are not going. I bet they get a lot more people driving in and less flying. Just what I hear.....

Their lost.

Did they feel the same when it was moved to Phoenix regional for a few years ?

Some of the worst radio I have heard was at past Copperstate events at Casa Grande.

I feel having it at Falcon Field with an operating control tower will is a nice thing despite the 100LL being $.55 per gallon more expensive.

Their lost.

Did they feel the same when it was moved to Phoenix regional for a few years ?

No argument , I think part of the issue is less experienced pilots being hesitant of the Class Bravo.

No argument , I think part of the issue is less experienced pilots being hesitant of the Class Bravo.

Understand. FFZ will be interesting , I assume the CAF will be offering rides, Boeing might re-position a few more gunships from their ramp to FFZ ramp and the 2 runways with tower will certainly remove the 'wild west' arrivals :)

If I go I'll have to contend with the "wild Southeast" arrival while dodging meat bombs from Eloy and Casa Grande.

If I go I'll have to contend with the "wild Southeast" arrival while dodging meat bombs from Eloy and Casa Grande.

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of them these days, just look at the attachment from the AZPilots newsletter.

Drop zones everywhere

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 18
Oh I've landed at Casa Grande on 23 while those yahoos were making approaches to 5. They offset to the South but it makes for an interesting approach.

Those "mesquite" call signs... :rolleyes:

And then the comments about the stack at Stansfield can be entertaining but you definitely need your nugget on a swivel flying into Casa
Grand or Ak Chin.

Any camping at Falcon?

I don't believe so. This is a much more urban environment than Casa Grande.

I share the concerns that this environment combined with the location right under the class Bravo shelf may hurt attendance.

Why is everyone so freaked about flying under the Class B shelf? I'd come in from the south, at 3500', and call up Falcon tower when directly over Chandler.

I suppose I need to qualify that...I wouldn't hesitate with the help of GPS, but if it were an unfamiliar area and I'm going by pilotage alone, that might give me pause.

Geez, there are a TON of DZs to the southeast. My path would be a lot easier, from the southwest.

I suppose I need to qualify that...I wouldn't hesitate with the help of GPS, but if it were an unfamiliar area and I'm going by pilotage alone, that might give me pause.
I think that is true. If you are from the area you really don't need a GPS to avoid the Bravo and are better off with your head out the window.

I don't believe so. This is a much more urban environment than Casa Grande.

Too bad. Casa Grande wasn't very attractive for camping unless you like the dirt. Flying near B is only simple for folks used to it. Not many in the US so a LOT of people not familiar and rightfully uncomfortable. That said, it really IS no big deal and some careful planning will make it work and give you a good learning experience. I fly into work under B and C, over hills and with no IFR rating, sometimes in the dark. The first time WAS spooky....

I went to the Copperstate Fly In today. Yawn. Maybe it was slow because it was a Friday. Noticeably fewer aircraft, especially home built except for RVs. All the usual vendors were there.
Going tomorrow. Hope it's better than you make it sound.

Saturday was busier with some nice formation flyovers and a fair number of interesting planes on the ramp.

Back at Falcon for 2017 as well.

Back