• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I continue to smoke more cigars during "these difficult times". <- Ack, did I really write that?

But some other little changes.

I've used the car pick up for quite a while for "the staples" but I'd always go inside to get meat, fish, and fresh vegies. You know, the stuff that only I could pick out the "right one" for me.

Nowadays I won't go in the market AT ALL. Maybe I'll learn I wasn't all that picky after all. More likely I'll just grouse about how I can't get a proper steak anymore. It also gives me a pass on my cooking, right?

I've also done some Amazon Fresh orders. But I think I prefer to get food from the grocery store. No real reason for that preference.

I was getting delivery for a while, but now I am shopping during the senior moments in the morning before work.

I've used curbside twice, and pickup now twice. None of it has to do with catching/spreading - other than it was the only way to get stuff from Woodcraft. Some places it's free, and even the grocery store only charges $4.95 for them to do the shopping. Unless I need to pick out produce (I'm specific about my produce), It might be worth the $4.95 going forward just so I don't have to deal with the clueless people with shopping carts. For $9.95 they will deliver.

I suppose for us on the whole it hasn't changed how we've done things. Laurie would routinely make a curbside pickup order for me to get from the grocery store. For a while, it was actually impossible to get slots for the grocery pickup because there were so many people fighting for the slots, and they hadn't ramped up capacity. Now they've over-done it, and they have far more capacity than they have people wanting to do the orders. But, basically we only do this for groceries. I go into the stores for basically everything else.

A lot of stores have added curbside pickup, but not worth it for me especially since it's often a project that I need to look and poke at pieces to figure out what I want (from 6 feet away, of course).

Oh, and lest y'all need a reminder, try to make sure we don't have to close this thread and start wielding the banhammer... please...

In my area grocery delivery services, at least when I last checked a month or so ago, were slammed and delivery windows snapped up ASAP. As a low-risk healthy 20 something who has the privilege of flexibility and time to go grocery shopping, I feel that I should keep those services for those who are higher risk and/or more constrained than I am as for me it would be more a convenience than a risk mitigation need. I have used the Home Depot curbside pickup near the beginning of the pandemic (at a time where the outbreak in MA was raging) and found it quite good.

I like curbside for when I know exactly what I want. I'm bad about knowing exactly what I want. Especially at Home Depot and the grocery store.

My wife is still doing the grocery shopping but tries to go at off peak times. We are possibly at risk-ish (59&61, no real co-morbidities other than weight) but my mom lives with us and she's got most all the boxes checked except weight.

I've been doing projects mostly for my daughter's dance studio (built multiple spring floors this year for example) and I've used Lowe's pickup service multiple times. Reminds me why I like to choose my own lumber. :(

It is more convenient.

Beyond that we use amazon a lot. Also lots of either drive throughs or curb/inside pickup and no (0) eating out.

John

Walmart and kroger pickup is a game changer for us. Never used it prior to the virus but will always use it now. It's just so convient and don't have tk deal with the crazies. I mean someone shops for me how cool!

No, much easier for me to go to the store in person and select what I want. But I’m also not pressured by time constraints.

Beyond that we use amazon a lot.

Looks like Amazon stock has nearly doubled since the start of the whole thing... I should've been smart enough to throw some money into that.

We've been using Amazon a lot, too. During the start of things we sometimes had 5 deliveries from them a day. It's tapered off quite a bit now, but part of that is because at the beginning we were working to do a lot of projects that we hadn't been able to get to. We're nowhere near done with our project list, but it's shifted now with the new shop we're working on and the deck we're trying to get done. Plus demolition of an old outbuilding and soon the old barn (which we will be turning into reclaimed barn wood).

I've been doing most of the grocery shopping since Mrs. Steingar went under the knife. I will no longer go unless its 8:00 Saturday or Sunday morning. I swear by Odin most of my fellow denizens are utterly clueless about how to keep the 'rona in check, and I have to dance and run to limit my own exposure. The stores are pretty quiet early in the morning on weekends. I predicted this surge, or spike, or whatever it is. We're now up to 1/100 infected. This is going to take on a life of its own. I'm really worried I'm going to loose friends and colleagues, and if I don't play it VERY carefully I could become a widower. The bulk of my groceries consists of fresh produce, which I have to select myself.

I haven't changed my habits at all with the exception of now owning a mask which I kinda use.
And I walk a lot more.

Like Bryon, I give it not much thought. I keep a crumpled mask in my pocket just in case. I have friends that hide away since the beginning. I feel sorry for them. The wife does most of the grocery shopping. So I guess I do get delivery.

Haven’t changed a lot. Have used the curbside for food and groceries a few times but I still prefer going in and doing my own shopping. I especially prefer to go in at places like Chipotle or Subway (assembly line style restaurants) rather than order it ahead, because often times, they don’t make it the way I like when I’m not present.

Since the Mask Nazis have ruined shopping at H.E.B. (and now everywhere), I have been using the home delivery. A company called "Favor" does the home delivery for $4.98!

I have also begun home delivery from Whataburger and they get my order to me in 15-18 minutes and I live at the far edge of their delivery area! Woo hoo!

Both of those delivery people get a big tip. It's pretty obvious they could use it and I want to keep my spending local...

I got used to bush orders for non-perishables when I lived in Alaska. One time we ordered 100 soft tacos from Taco Bell to be shipped to us. That was a real treat in Kotz.

I really enjoy ordering online now. Let some one else burn up their diesel fuel running orders to my house. Free delivery if over a set price.

Regarding shopping, I use curbside pickup at places where that is the only option available. Otherwise, I just wear a mask, keep my distance from other people as best I can, avoid touching my face, wash my hands thoroughly when I get home, and wash my hands before handling food.

I go maskless. I live alone. Who am I going to give it to? Plus, I probably already had it in Feb.

My take is this: If you don't want it. Don't go out, and don't let anyone come over. I have friends I haven't seen in 6 plus months because they have gone full chicken little. I have other friends that we have gone BBQing and everything because they are all in the "if we get it we get it - we are all gonna get it sometime" mindset like I am.

Last edited:
There are other choices besides those two extremes.
I didn't say there weren't. I only said I'm not going to stop living. I'm going to keep doing things. I'm not going to avoid having normal social contact with people unless they are ill, no different than before covid.

I even put a mask on when a small businessl forced me. Although, their stock was extremely low, and they didn't have what I wanted and wouldn't even order it because "we can guarantee when it will come in", so it was a waste of time. Not sure how they can stay open with that kind of approach. I went to them in the first place to try to help them stay afloat, but ended up ordering what I wanted online since they weren't interested.

I didn't say there weren't. I only said I'm not going to stop living. I'm going to keep doing things. I'm not going to avoid having normal social contact with people unless they are ill, no different than before covid.
The problem with the 'rona is folks can be infected and actively shedding virus, and still be just fine by outward appearances. That's what makes this outbreak so dangerous.

The problem with the 'rona is folks can be infected and actively shedding virus, and still be just fine by outward appearances. That's what makes this outbreak so dangerous.
Not new. Every virus out there can be spread before the carrier shows signs. What's the saying? All diseases would have died out long ago if it were as easy as "Kill the guy that looks sick!"

I guess what I don't get is why people think this will be temporary. Either this is a complete over-reaction, or this is a permanent change in our society. There is no in between to that. There will always be new viruses. They will not be detectable. I do not want to live in a society that "socially distances". It's ridiculous if you really think about wearing masks and standing 6 feet apart for the rest of our lives. How the heck will people meet, date, and procreate?

Think about it. This is not the last new virus we will see.

Last edited:
Just to show the complete lack of logic behind “asymptomatic spread”... the story below.

And yes, I wear my generally useless Piehole Thong just to keep the kiddies who can’t do this level of logic from being scared of my light Sarcoidosis cough.

The more important part we can’t measure but probably saved a million damn people is we taught nasty ass people how to wash their freaking hands and wipe down their kitchen once in a while compared to their usual “clean the house and car once a decade” habits.

The storyteller leaves out people who sneeze or cough constantly for OTHER real medical reasons, but generally the conversation is sound. Unless you’re one of those who needs a drool cup. LOL.

Physical distance and washing before sticking finger up your nose digging for gold, takes care of the vast majority of this thing. Mask is a tiny margin better above those.

Last couple lines of this dudes story are political but not why I’m posting it. The breakdown in logic at the top is. Seemed wrong to clip off his words in their entirety. Can easily ignore that part and still understand the significant thought process problem.

——-

Random person: “Wear your damn mask”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right?

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick.

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask.

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze.

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts.

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning.

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms.

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask.

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too.

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care.

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks.

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms?

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick.

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die.

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate.

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable.

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness.

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

R: They are obviously flawed.

M: How so?

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important.

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks.

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine?

R: It’s a new virus.

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask.

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue?

R: I’ll report you if you don’t.

M: What country am I in again?

~Anthony Lapov (h/t Jenny Polk)

Unless the local infection rate (% positive tests) are sky-high, taking simple precautions is sufficient to make grocery shopping relatively low-risk. Keep your distance from others, wash your hands or use sanitizer after shopping, wear a face covering (to protect others, mostly, and maybe some additional protection for yourself, don't touch your face until washing your hands. Unfortunately, the grocery employees and many customers seem to be clueless about how to do this so we can all try to get back to some sort of temporary normality for many routine activities. Employees at the deli wearing "chinstraps" does not inspire confidence in the food they are preparing for me, nor do the random people who can't observe basic courtesy and crowd you at the checkout.

Yes, this is one of many viruses that we will encounter in our lives. The distinction of this virus is an order of magnitude larger morbidity and mortality rate than the usual stuff, and a much higher than typical infectiousness. It's the combination of those last two things: seriousness of potential illness and contagiousness than makes it so vexing. Having no tools in the toolbox other than mitigation is depressing, but not permanent.

Asymptomatic spread just got a whole lot more personal. Someone my wife and I normally frequently interact with (and were planning on tentatively getting back together with for some social contact given our recent health precautions) was recently tested as a part of her job requirements, and found to be positive, despite having minimal symptoms. Lucky her. She probably won't get seriously ill, but may have exposed co-workers and/or family who may not be as lucky.

I can't wait for safe and effective vaccines so that there is a way to ensure at least some level of personal protection. The mitigation stuff, if necessary, is not that much fun.

Just to show the complete lack of logic behind “asymptomatic spread”... the story below.

And yes, I wear my generally useless Piehole Thong just to keep the kiddies who can’t do this level of logic from being scared of my light Sarcoidosis cough.

The more important part we can’t measure but probably saved a million damn people is we taught nasty ass people how to wash their freaking hands and wipe down their kitchen once in a while compared to their usual “clean the house and car once a decade” habits.

The storyteller leaves out people who sneeze or cough constantly for OTHER real medical reasons, but generally the conversation is sound. Unless you’re one of those who needs a drool cup. LOL.

Physical distance and washing before sticking finger up your nose digging for gold, takes care of the vast majority of this thing. Mask is a tiny margin better above those.

Last couple lines of this dudes story are political but not why I’m posting it. The breakdown in logic at the top is. Seemed wrong to clip off his words in their entirety. Can easily ignore that part and still understand the significant thought process problem.

——-

Random person: “Wear your damn mask”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right?

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick.

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask.

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze.

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts.

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning.

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms.

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask.

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too.

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care.

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks.

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms?

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick.

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die.

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate.

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable.

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness.

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

R: They are obviously flawed.

M: How so?

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important.

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks.

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine?

R: It’s a new virus.

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask.

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue?

R: I’ll report you if you don’t.

M: What country am I in again?

~Anthony Lapov (h/t Jenny Polk)

That is too much effort.
I just say “ Gotta die of something “
At an ugly 6’ 3” and well over 250 lbs. most people just do Not bother talking to me.
Besides, I fly small airplanes and soon maybe motorcycles, I am dead already. :biggrin:

Last edited:
^^^this^^^

I cannot like this enough.
I'll note that most other countries have it under control while we are still F'ing it up. As we are still seeing increases in infection, other countries don't want us visiting. This affects you because I usually take between 12 and 30 flights a year, all on UAL. A lot of those are international. All my trips are canceled this year, pretty much all of us who travel where I work aren't going anywhere; UAL is a preferred airline for my employer. No one wants to come here either, so no passengers coming into the USA. My last UAL (or any commercial carrier) flight this year was January. While I hope you aren't affected, UAL is going to shed a ton of jobs over this.

This won't be our last virus, but the USA has shown the world how not to deal with an epidemic.

I will take death over gubernatorial power trips.

Because evidently fishing BY YOURSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF A ******N LAKE is a way to spread it, according to our retard governor. I am ashamed that we graduated from the same high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back