COPD Medical

U

Unregistered

Any issues with a pilot having COPD or renewing medical I have COPD but don't think I can hide if from the AME. Any longer. Can I still fly with limitations I.E. Altitude limitations etc.
This is stage 2 COPD.

First off, "hiding from the AME" is *ALWAYS* the wrong answer. Please stop breaking the law. It may already come back to bite you.

First off, you'll need a good AME for this (Bruce Chien who hangs out over at the AOPA boards and on his site aeromedicaldoc.com is one). This is a special issuance, the first one must be done in Joklahoma city to my understanding.

I know a pilot with fairly advanced COPD who was able to get certified after jumping through a few hoops. Dr Bruce can advise.

First off, you'll need a good AME for this (Bruce Chien who hangs out over at the AOPA boards and on his site aeromedicaldoc.com is one). This is a special issuance, the first one must be done in Joklahoma city to my understanding.
In case you're unfamiliar, here are links to the AOPA Forums and Bruce's web site. He is definitely the guy to answer your questions, and you're absolutely right about not trying to hide something like this from the FAA.

IT wasn't really hiding it. Just "didn't ask didn't tell" But I will look into this thanks.

That absolutely is hiding it.. Doc Bruce will NOT abide people who lie and break the rules. Best to come clean with him from the word go.

would that be a lung disease of some kind? :confused:
Yes, it is. See above for its full name. It's the one which they say makes it seem like there's an elephant sitting on your chest -- permanently. And that is most certainly covered by question 18f "Asthma or lung disease". For more on COPD, see http://www.copd.com/about-copd/.

From a pilot perspective, it's basically disqualifying, but Special Issuance is possible "when the condition is mild without significant impairment of pulmonary functions" -- see the AME Guide section on COPD for further details on SI for this condition. Note that the first SI for this condition must come from Oklahoma City, but follow-up issuances may be done by AME's based on a specific protocol. As such, the OP needs to consult with an AME familiar with special issuances like Bruce Chien to find out if SI is possible with his "Stage 2" condition because I haven't the foggiest idea what "Stage 2" means, no less whether "Stage 2" allows SI.

Last edited:
From http://www.healthline.com/health/copd/end-stage-copd

The following is a breakdown of the stages of COPD to help give you a basic understanding of each stage:

Stage 1 - Mild COPD with only mild airflow limitation. In this stage a patient might not even be aware that there is an abnormality in lung function.

Stage 2 – Moderate COPD with progressing airflow limitation. This is most commonly the stage at which people seek medical help for chronic symptoms, often shortness of breath during exertion or even exacerbation of COPD.

Stage 3 – Severe COPD with airflow limitation that is progressing even further and impacting the patient’s quality of life because of greater shortness of breath and reduced exercise capacity.

Stage 4 – Very Severe COPD with severe airflow limitation and exacerbations that are life-threating. A severely impaired quality of life is also common with this stage.​

From what AM88 posted, my guess is that Stage 1 can get an SI, Stages 3 and 4 cannot, but Stage 2 could go either way -- definitely a "Bruce question".

best I can tell....from my limited internet research, is that COPD is primarily caused by smoking, second hand smoke, or environmental effects....also known as emphysema.

best I can tell....from my limited internet research, is that COPD is primarily caused by smoking, second hand smoke, or environmental effects....also known as emphysema.
According to the Mayo Clinic, "Emphysema is one of several diseases known collectively as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)." According to GlaxoSmithKline:
COPD includes two lung problems:

• "Chronic bronchitis" is increased cough and mucus production caused by inflammation of the airways. Bronchitis is considered chronic (or long-term) if a person coughs and produces excess mucus most days during three months in a year, for two years in a row.
  • "Emphysema" is associated with damage of the air sacs and/or collapse of the smallest breathing tubes in the lungs.
So, emphysema is a COPD, but not all COPD is emphysema.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back