Coolest keyboard of all time..

HPNPilot1200 said:
This has been out for many many months (found it before I was even a member of PoA), but this has got to be the COOLEST keyboard of all time. No need for explanation, just click the link, look at the pictures and read the features....

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Jason

P.S. Who wants to buy me one? :rofl:

I thought you weren't supposed to look at the keyboard when you type?

wow - they are predicting release in 2006. They say it should cost less than a mobile phone. That's a bit rich for me for a keyboard. You could do the same thing with a gluestick, scissors and construction paper :)

It is very cool. A bit too rich for my blood, but very, very cool.

terry

HPNPilot1200 said:
This has been out for many many months (found it before I was even a member of PoA), but this has got to be the COOLEST keyboard of all time. No need for explanation, just click the link, look at the pictures and read the features....

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Jason

P.S. Who wants to buy me one? :rofl:

Gawllee, Jason; you had me all fired-up and I had to look. But below is my favorite keyboard of all time which I just U-HAUL(ed) back from my Arizona house to Maine. And it was a ***** to load/unload(about 450 pounds).

HR

Best...keyboard....of all time...

ibm-keyboard.jpg

the old ibm keyboards......loud, good feedback, and they never die.. No matter how many mountain dews you spill on them. ......

The concept has been around a lot of years now. (definitely back into the mid 1980's if not further) It just hasn't gone very far beyond cool novelty or dedicated purpose equipment. I've run across keypads that had 7 segment displays, and in a few cases 5x7 and 7x9 LCD's, in place of typical buttons. There was one keyboard in a junk shop I found that had the typical 101 key layout using normal buttons plus a set of LCD buttons across the top and down the left side. The display on the buttons changed dependent on the current functions that were selected. I often wonder why no one has jumped on this idea for GPS or FMS type input buttons or anything else for that matter. (probably inadequate profitability margins for the shareholders beyond one off hand crafted stuff most likely :rolleyes: )

terzap said:
It is very cool. A bit too rich for my blood, but very, very cool.

Cool, yes. But how practical is it?
I mean, unless they take over the keyboard market, how much off the shelf software is going to be changing the key displays enough to justify it's existence and expense? As much jumping from one application to another that goes on, it'd be extremely annoying to have to go into setup every time while working on things.

It's a great idea though. My last job when things were super busy, if that keyboard could autoswitch key setups between applications and you walked in the door with one, I wouldn't have even twitched in the least while stuffing $500 in your pockets and yanking it out of your hands. Actually, better yet, I would have done anything to have a 24 or 32 button programmable keypad next to the keyboard and double points if it could reprogram the keyboard as well. Something like that with the changeable button displays may be even more practical than a reprogrammable keyboard. (Hmmm. I may have to pull out the old electronics junk boxes again one of these days and see what I can come up with)

jangell said:
the old ibm keyboards......loud, good feedback, and they never die.. No matter how many mountain dews you spill on them. ......

I have one of those under the table next to me for the XT circa 1981 or 1982. It weighs a ton, had the crap beat out of it, filled with things that were alive and rather intelligent by the time I cleaned it in the tub, but all the buttons still work to this day. Zero failure rate. Modern high tech super reliable efficient keyboards have nothing on that thing for reliability. Same goes for the Apple II keyboard.

Last edited:
Where's the glowing <insert color of choice here> backlighting on this fancy keyboard? :D

jangell said:
Best...keyboard....of all time...the old ibm keyboards......loud, good feedback, and they never die.. No matter how many mountain dews you spill on them. ......
That's what I have hooked to my server's KVM switch. Can't beat them for reliability. I have a "spare" that I use when building up another computer so I don't have to use a keyboard from a currently active system.

Thats neat. Perfect for gamers who switch games frequently and can't keep all the keyboard controls in their head.

Sounds like it will be kinda pricey though...

Back