Cool places to fly in Virginia

mxalix258

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mxalix258
Hi everyone,

Looking for suggestions on places to fly in the Northern Virignia or surrounding area.

Would like a place that has a restaurant on the field or is just a cool airport. We have done Tangier recently, any suggestions outside of that?

Thanks!

I hear a VFR flight to DCA is lovely this time of year.
Disclaimer: Don't do that.

Area airport restaurants.

Nicks Airport Inn at Hagerstown (not quite on the field, but just outside the fence).

The restaurant at Blue Ridge (MTV) is open again (call first to confirm given the general longevity of those places).

Kings Korner at Chesterfiled.

Kays at Cambridge/Dorechester

If you don't mind Grass, land at Kentmoor and walk to the Marina restaurant.

There are a couple of restaurants in the vicinity of Bay Bridge that will come get you.

Neat things to see: Air Museum at RIC (the FBO will give you a car to head just off field for food)

Ocean City, NJ, Ocean City, MD, FFA, all have access to the beach. Though at OXB you'll have to take a cab.

Luray will shuttle you to the caverns (who own the airport).

IAD has the Udvar-Hazy center.

KCGE Cambridge - Breakfast at Kay's is always excellent.

KWWD Cape May Wildwood - Good eats and a small museum (Wildwood NAS) on the field. Taxi to the beach if needed or a rental car is available through the FBO.

KOXB, Ocean City Maryland - My new home airport. Taxi to the boardwalk/beach for plenty of things to do and places to eat. taxi service is available but I used to rent from Don at the terminal. favorite places to eat....Harborside, Watermans, Froggys on the boardwalk at the inlet. farther up the coastal highway is dead freds, ANthony's deli and a few other local places.

KJGG Williamsburg Jamestown - GREAT eats at Charleys and there is Williamsburg winery close by that has a place to eat and does tours. there is busch gardens howl -o-scream it's a blast too. :eek:

Last edited:
I like both ocean city md. And cape may for stops,and overnights.

Concur with Ron and Gary's lists.

HSP Hot Springs is cool to fly to because it's up on top of a mountain. The trip into town (the Homestead, a fancy resort) is a little pricy, though.

VG18- Bryce private strip but no permission required...have lunch at Bryce resort.
WV62- Windwood- another private strip that is open to all...a decent lunch spot I'm told.

W24- Falwell Airport in Lynchburg, just because the ski jump runway is so weird. It one way in, one way out.

FYJ- West Point active jump zone on the weekend. Check out the crab muffins at Diggs seafood down the street.

W75- Hummel Field- good German restaurant across the street. (and an average greasy spoon next door too)

Great ideas, guys! Cambridge (CGE) sounds fun. I actually haven't flown that way in the SFRA, the only thing I've ever really done is exit direct out of FLUKY gate from Manassas.

Any other concerns for departing SE from Manassas under the Bravo towards CGE? Looks like I might be able to skirt by Quantico and stay under the 3500 shelf. Thoughts?

SkyVector

Thanks again!

Great ideas, guys! Cambridge (CGE) sounds fun. I actually haven't flown that way in the SFRA, the only thing I've ever really done is exit direct out of FLUKY gate from Manassas.

Any other concerns for departing SE from Manassas under the Bravo towards CGE? Looks like I might be able to skirt by Quantico and stay under the 3500 shelf. Thoughts?

SkyVector

Thanks again!

I've always taken the flyway between the FRZ and BWI's Class B from JYO to W29 or Kentmoor, but it does seem like the southern route would make more sense given IAD. Never eaten at CGE, but it's a gorgeous place to fly! I learned to fly up at Bay Bridge W29.

Just a note about KHGR (hagetstown, md). Rider Jet just made a major addition onto the fbo and if I understood them correctly it has a restaurant inside. Not sure when it opens though, should be soon!
just another option to go along with Nick's

SkyVector

Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with that route. Just file for WHINO, and stay out of BRAVO and the FRZ. Enjoy Kay's.

SkyVector

Thanks again!

No problem with that route if you have a gps or at least a DME. I would use KHEF IRONS KCGE . That way you can climb to 3500 which I personally find more appealing than the 2500 you have to maintain if you go underneath the next shelf. Also, once you get out from the 3500 shelf you can reach a comfortable altitude to cross the bay. The route goes straight over the navy munitions storage at Indian Head and the Chalk Point generating station. Dont start circling over either of them ;-)

The restaurant closes on one of the weekdays, I want to say monday.

Easton KESN has a little cafe place in the terminal. Sticky-bun or something like that.

While not exactly northern virginia, Hampton Roads Executive [SIZE=-1] KPVG has a little on-field restaurant that has a good carrot cake.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
In addition to those listed above, for on/near field dining: KFDK, KGAI, S37, W29, KGED, KMQS, KLNS...

Flying inside/transiting the SFRA as long as you stay out of the class B and the FRZ is a non issue. It's the same as going in and out of the FRZ. Squawk, talk, and go on your way.

Flying inside/transiting the SFRA as long as you stay out of the class B and the FRZ is a non issue. It's the same as going in and out of the FRZ. Squawk, talk, and go on your way.

...except for that pesky PIN requirement and special flight plan remarks. But otherwise I agree :)

I enjoy S37, just east of Lancaster PA. Runway is approximately 2000 ft, which keeps things interesting, and there is a decent diner directly behind the airport. It's about one hour in the air from KJYO.

That should have been say transiting the SFRA is the same as going in and out of the SFRA (not the FRZ) sorry about that.

Although not in N VA, PHF is a great stop also, fuel is also cheaper than JGG $5.88 yesterday vs $6.05. Either place you stop at, breakfast at Mama Steve's is close by and quite good.

Esn-newnam field, easton maryland. Small resturant, food is "ok" but.... Be sure and walk down to spitfire aviation and see tom blairs collection. Magnificent P51, spitfire, P-40' beautifully restored cars, etc. superb. Georgetown del. has decent food.

Back