Cool picture

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Just ran into this picture recently...it is either my dad or grandpa:

tree_stearman.jpg

It makes the trees at 6Y9 on takeoff seem a little less intimidating.

Awesome picture, Jesse.

Awesome shot looks like early 70s I don't know how to explain that it just does.

What's cool is that he probably had no intention of clearing the trees, he kicked through the turn before he even reached them :yikes:

Wow. That is amazing!

I'm guessing 2-4,D on a pasture.

What's cool is that he probably had no intention of clearing the trees, he kicked through the turn before he even reached them :yikes:

According to my dad, that is the case, just get high enough to throw into a steep bank to barely clear the trees and then work your way out of that.

They really only were able to compete because they would spray the areas other guys wouldn't do--or couldn't do with their fast turbines.

The stearmans we had were no power houses..300hp

Sweet picture! That one would be worth enlarging and framing nicely for the den.

Awesome shot looks like early 70s I don't know how to explain that it just does.

It's the slight yellowing and bleeding of the photo paper. Most of my prints from the '70s are doing it, too. They won't last as long as my grandparents' old B&W shots.
That picture is now on my desktop. I think it must have been shot with a telephoto, making the trees look a lot closer and the situation somewhat tighter than it was. Still, it takes guts to fly like that.

Dan

It's the slight yellowing and bleeding of the photo paper. Most of my prints from the '70s are doing it, too. They won't last as long as my grandparents' old B&W shots.
That picture is now on my desktop. I think it must have been shot with a telephoto, making the trees look a lot closer and the situation somewhat tighter than it was. Still, it takes guts to fly like that.

Dan
Maybe. They flew home with tree branches and/or power lines hanging from the airplane on several occasions...so they really did get pretty close.

Never a crash or incident though in 30-35 years of crop dusting full-time (grabbing some small wires from time to time doesn't count).

Last edited:
Back