Cool pics of Kopp-Etchells Static effect on helos - now named after fallen soldiers

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
And so a fitting name had arrived to describe the halo glow we sometimes see in Helmand Province: Kopp-Etchells Effect, for two veteran warriors who died here in Helmand, Ben on the 18th, Joe on the 19th of July in the year 2009. It’s not hard to imagine the two Corporals have already linked up and regrouped, and in sense they have. Knowing combat soldiers, it’s easy to imagine them laughing away at the idea

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/the-kopp-etchells-effect.htm?beautiful

Attachments

• 3150-fertilizer24vC-730.jpg
    3150-fertilizer24vC-730.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 3150-fertilizer3a-730.jpg
    3150-fertilizer3a-730.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 75
Re: Cool pics of Static effect on helos - now named after fallen soldiers

Wow, folks, follow the article link and look at the full series of photos.

Mike, thanks for sharing, that's incredible.

distant relative of St elmo's?

distant relative of St elmo's?

Relative in that it's static electricity, yes.

If you look closely the halo only happens in the dust being churned up. I would posit the effect is due the dischage of the charge between dust particles.

Or maybe not since St. Elmos is glowing plasma.

This is the mechanism that creates lightning...

denny-o

Re: Kopp-Etchells Effect

Greg,
I knew about the static, but had never seen it. Those were great picture fitting of the story. Did you ever see Hunt for Red October? They mention the static when Mr Ryan was going to board the Sub from the Sea King (or Sea Stallion)
Chris

they warned us about the static when we used to do our annual water survival training, part of which included getting tossed off the back end of a boat, float around for a while and wait for the SH-3 or H-46 to come hoist you up - enough warning that I never grabbed the cable before it got dunked a couple of times.

Greg,
I knew about the static, but had never seen it. Those were great picture fitting of the story. Did you ever see Hunt for Red October? They mention the static when Mr Ryan was going to board the Sub from the Sea King (or Sea Stallion)
Chris

But this effect depends on the dust particles. Notice that there's no halo before the chopper its the dust cloud.

hey mods - thanks for the thread merge! Nice work! Guess I need to read more carefully (or retain what I read longer than 30 seconds?)

But this effect depends on the dust particles. Notice that there's no halo before the chopper its the dust cloud.
Mike,
I think the effect is there all the time. The fact that you can see it is because of the dust and the fact that those pics are taken in the middle of the night. Take a pair of socks and rub them together make static and pull them apart. No big show. But do it in an interior room in pitch black and look at the difference. Same thing.....I think?
Chris

Back