Cool Google tricks

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Just in case some folks don't know this stuff...

For another thread, I wanted to know the sine of three degrees. I didn't have a scientific calculator (or a program emulating such) handy, so...

I just Googled "sin(3 degrees)" and it gave me the answer.

This and many more wildly cool things that can be done with Google are explained here.

One of my favorites is that typing in an N number will search the FAA registry (click on the first returned link). You can also type in UPS and FedEx tracking numbers and things like that.

I use calculator and currency converter a lot.

Google "13 feet in inches" and it'll convert it for you. I use the conversion tools all the time...

Thanks, Kent .. I never knew all of those features were available.

Thanks, Kent .. I never knew all of those features were available.
There's a lot of investors kicking their own butts for doubting this company.

"It won't survive."
"The stock won't perform well."
"It will just be another 'Yahoo!' bust."

Yeah, it busted alright! :rofl:

Google is pretty darn cool. They've got free Google apps for non-profits and clubs.

My wife had her first day at work at Google today.

Google is pretty darn cool. They've got free Google apps for non-profits and clubs.

My wife had her first day at work at Google today.

Seriously, working there is a software developers dream. I've been trying to stuff my resume. Software engineers get 20% of their work day to play with their own pet projects. Those projects have created things such as Google Earth. Just pet projects that the engineers found to be interesting. Now THAT is innovation. :)

Plus, how could you not want to work at a place which has ball pens for the adults to play in? :D

Seriously, working there is a software developers dream. I've been trying to stuff my resume. Software engineers get 20% of their work day to play with their own pet projects. Those projects have created things such as Google Earth. Just pet projects that the engineers found to be interesting. Now THAT is innovation. :)

Plus, how could you not want to work at a place which has ball pens for the adults to play in? :D

I understand they get, quite literally, thousands of resumes daily.

A former intern of mine just went permanent there; I was sent an interview questionnaire by Google as part of his hiring process (from contract to permanent)- extremely thorough and detailed, it took me a coupe of hours to prepare my response (and, by the way, if this guy's an example of who they hire, they'll continue to thrive).

Upon full-time hire, first thing they do? Send him off on a week of paid vacation as congratulations. No sh*t.

I wanted to know the sine of three degrees. I didn't have a scientific calculator (or a program emulating such) handy, so...

Odd, that comes standard on windows...it doesn't come with Mac?

I thought Macs were the end-all-be-all. And they don't have a freaking scientific calculator shipped with the OS? :eek:

Sorry Kent, gotta get the weekly Mac-bash in.

The cool thing about google calculator is you don't even have to remember the formula for conversions. I have a mental block on temperature conversion ... google 50 F in C says 50 degrees Fahrenheit = 10 degrees Celsius
how big's my Cummins? google 5.9 liters in cubic inches says 5.9 liters = 360.04009 cubic inches

A former intern of mine just went permanent there; I was sent an interview questionnaire by Google as part of his hiring process (from contract to permanent)- extremely thorough and detailed, it took me a coupe of hours to prepare my response (and, by the way, if this guy's an example of who they hire, they'll continue to thrive).

Upon full-time hire, first thing they do? Send him off on a week of paid vacation as congratulations. No sh*t.

Google and ITA Software are probably the two hardest tech firms to get hired at. Biz world analouges would be McKinsey, Bain, KKR, Blackstone...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I also think part of the package is a trip to Mountain View to their HQ. Meet some of the higher ups and get an idea for the company's mantra before getting to work. Perhaps you could confirm that?

I also think part of the package is a trip to Mountain View to their HQ. Meet some of the higher ups and get an idea for the company's mantra before getting to work. Perhaps you could confirm that?

Probably depends on which position you're applying for. :)

He got there on second interview (first, on-campus at Northwestern). I imagine it depends on how badly they need your talent and whether they got a first look elsewhere.

Odd, that comes standard on windows...it doesn't come with Mac?

Yes, it does. Full-out sci calc right there in my apps menu, and a non-sci one in the Dashboard at my beck and call at a microsecond's notice.

But, I was already in my web browser, so I used the closest thing. :yes:

Good news. They lowered their 'permanent' employee GPA requirements to 3.0 from 3.7. :)

Well, if they do that much again, I'm in business. :rofl:

I'm actually surprised a company like that has a requirement like that - "Book-smart" people (we're talking 4.0 types) generally make crappy engineers.

My sister is one of those book smart 4.0+ gpa kinda people ... scary-smart kinda engineer ... I think she's a EE... she migrated into sales consulting ... dunno what that says re: your comment above, but I think it supports it.

I just got back from a conference about high-energy astroparticle physics. One of the new big telescope survey projects (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope or LSST) had a few people there giving talks. They listed the telescope's collaboration list: a bunch of universities from all over the world, and Google! I've never seen a corporation on a scientific collaboration list like that before... Apparently they are going to put the telescope's survey images into a kind of "Google Space" like "Google Earth", so astronomers will be able to just go look at any galaxy or nebula or whatever they want... I thought it was pretty cool.

--Kath

I just got back from a conference about high-energy astroparticle physics. One of the new big telescope survey projects (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope or LSST) had a few people there giving talks.
I can see pillowtalk on your wedding night is gonna be interesting! :D

Hey, Kath.

Kathleen, my daughter you roomed with, is headed to Italy next week on a field trip with her Latin teacher. Another group (the physics kids) from her school is going to the LHC site in Switzerland for the week. My spring breaks were never that cool in high school.

http://lhc-machine-outreach.web.cern.ch/lhc-machine-outreach/

I just got back from a conference about high-energy astroparticle physics. One of the new big telescope survey projects (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope or LSST) had a few people there giving talks. They listed the telescope's collaboration list: a bunch of universities from all over the world, and Google! I've never seen a corporation on a scientific collaboration list like that before... Apparently they are going to put the telescope's survey images into a kind of "Google Space" like "Google Earth", so astronomers will be able to just go look at any galaxy or nebula or whatever they want... I thought it was pretty cool.

--Kath

My spring breaks were never that cool in high school.

Of course not Steve. How could they be? You were limited by the speed of the horse and airplanes were nothing but a dream.

Back