Cool flying destinations in Florida?

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
I am headed to Stuart, Florida for work Thursday and sit for the weekend then come back Monday. I want to take advantage of my down time there and possibly rent an airplane to fly somewhere scenic, as I've never been to Florida before. Any suggestions on places to fly to that would be within 200NM of Stuart [KSUA]? Is Key West worth flying to or is there anywhere else that I should explore instead? Any and all recommendations are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

eh there's a thread or two on X01 Everglades airpark which is a quick flight from there and once u get there ur pretty close to a couple of really good restaurants if you're just looking for a lunch run. flying over the everglades, for me, is boring scenery-wise but it's worth the trip for the food and experience.

I would also recommend Everglades city,nice freindly FBO with cheap self serve gas,also Marathon key is a good stop,the FBO sells a great key lime pie. Key west is fun for a day stop ,can be a little pricey.

Not sure of the distance, but KCDK is a great stop, be sure to get some chowder in town too.

Check out the Space Center, and see how many sharks are cruising off shore if the water is clear enough.

Other than that Florida is pretty boring scenery wise. And this is coming from someone in the Midwest!

If you're into racing, it's a nice shoreline trip to KDAB and get the racetrack's tour.

Last edited:
Second KCDK - Cedar Key is soooo laid back - the Old FL......not the touristy Disney/Key West/Miami scene. Cool little airstrip, notice I didn't say airport - no services at all.

Back