Cool flight planner

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I've been playing with a flight planner I like quite a bit.

It will automatically layout your routes within the parameters you set out. You can tell it what kind of airspace you want to avoid, and it will plan over, under, or around. You can specify things like max distance between waypoints, max time between waypoints, it will plan out fuel stops, you can specify min height AGL, max distance across water, etc.

You can choose your own route, or let the wizard do it for you. Once you've entered the data for your aircraft, passengers, and baggage, it will automatically track weight and balance for you. It only took me a few minutes from the time I started it until I had a nice flight plan laid out for my trip to Charleston. I told it I was going tomorrow, and it optimized a flight plan for winds aloft, within the parameters I had set out for it. It automatically downloads the weather, and will show you winds aloft, airport conditions, and on the profile view of your flight plan it shows the cloud layers, complete with type and AGL.

It will print out a killer kneeboard report with a mouse click. Full airport info for departure and destination airports, FAA airport diagrams for both airports, weather conditions for both airports, weather briefing, chart showing airport conditions along the route, and weight and balance reports. All kneeboard sized.

It literally took less than 10 minutes from the time I got it working to the time I had an awesome flight plan ready to go. All I really have to do is tell it starting and ending points, and cruise altitude.

They let you demo the full program for 10 days, complete with the automatic TFR updates. I'm not affiliated with them, but I really like this program. Of course, I don't really know how it compares to the other flight planning programs you pay for, since the one I use now is the free Golden Eagle program from DUATS.

http://www.seattleavionics.com/v_pricing.shtml?location=voyager

Bleah, it looks sweet but $198 + 99 / yr is more than I can afford atm.

Wow - thats a hell of a package - be a great tool for a commercial flier for sure.

You should add this to our links database. :)

Greebo said:
Wow - thats a hell of a package - be a great tool for a commercial flier for sure.

You should add this to our links database. :)

Done. It's not cheap, but I'm really in lust with those kneeboard printouts especially. Plus, you can download your plans to a GPS or PDA. I don't think I fly enough cross country flights now to justify the dollars, but when I do get to fly more of them, I'll be giving this program a very hard look.

I use Flightsoft Professional from RMS Technologies. WWW.rmstek.com I think it looks similar to the screen shot shown here and it's comparably priced although the yearly updates appear to be about 10$ more. I've been using it for several years now and I really like it.

Jean

It does look pretty nice. Some of the information can be gotten for free (but you need to go to several places). I'm trying to keep a list of these on my website <http://www.aviline.com/flight.planning.html> and it's been up for several years.

I'm open to suggestions, additions, and deletions.

Back