Cool Biplane

Cessna150C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Acronut
So this isn't something you see everyday. When I was up at T82 last week I saw this thing on the ramp. It's a 1930 New Standard Biplane. Designed and made for barnstorming. It's now operated by Mike Carpentiero who is a modern day barnstormer. I got a ride when it was down at CVB on Monday. It's pretty cool! Definitely a different kind of biplane flying then I'm used to.

He said he was headed to Mustang Island this week so if your in the area definitely check it out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GOPR1787.JPG
    GOPR1787.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 195
Back in the very late Sixties, a gentleman named Encel Kleier of Claremore OK restored a D25 model, I think (maybe D26, I'll have to go thru my photos). Dad met Encel on a couple of occasions he had to attend the annual Antique Airplane Association flyin @Tulsa. The New Standard was a big hit at the flyin- the one thing Dad remembered about riding in it was that the huge front cockpit was placarded "NO DANCING DURING FLIGHT".

James Hammons took me flying in a New Standard in Atlanta. It was a fun flight :yes: and very windy in the front seat. Definitely a cool airplane.

Attachments

• IMG_1824 (1077 x 808).jpg
    IMG_1824 (1077 x 808).jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1827 (1077 x 808).jpg
    IMG_1827 (1077 x 808).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Diana, barnstorming and ride giving as you do your tours is something you should do!

Diana, barnstorming and ride giving as you do your tours is something you should do!
That's a thought. :) But, there is no room in my airplane for people, even my husband, as I go flying around. I take too much stuff, as you probably saw at Walt's. :redface:

One of my favorite books is Nothing By Chance, by Richard Bach. A great book about his flying around, selling rides in a biplane.

When the barnstormers were in Ames, that Green New Standard from Wisconsin was fresh out of restoration, like I think they hit 50 hrs while giving rides in Ames. That was about the most fun I had in a week at the airport and really made me want to run away and join the (flying) circus.

Back