Cool 737

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Im in Manzanillo, Mexico now playing golf with some old college buddies. Took an Alaska Airlines 737-800 down here from LAX. I saw something interesting in the cockpit while we were waiting to depart and asked the captain about it. She graciously invited me in and showed me the heads up display. She turned it on for me, expalined it a little and let me look through it. Totally cool. I want one.

on AVweb, there was a video about the one companies heads up display with infrared imaging. Really cool to see how the image will help pilots in low visibilities see as if it was a much better day outside. Wonder if it was one of those type systems.

that'll probably be your next ride Lance

Did it look like a collection of green worms on a clear glass saucer?

Im in Manzanillo, Mexico now playing golf with some old college buddies. Took an Alaska Airlines 737-800 down here from LAX. I saw something interesting in the cockpit while we were waiting to depart and asked the captain about it. She graciously invited me in and showed me the heads up display. She turned it on for me, expalined it a little and let me look through it. Totally cool. I want one.

The Q has an option for a HUD. Of course we didn't take the option, but there's rumor that we will on the next 15. We got to use them a bit in sim training, though. The loc/gs needles on the HUD are 8 times more sensitive than the normal needles, so the pilot flying looks like he's working really hard making very small, rapid, almost constant corrections while it looks like absolutely nothing is changing to the guy without the HUD. It's rather fun. What I really want is the system the Gulfstreams have with the FLIR through the HUD!

The Q has an option for a HUD. Of course we didn't take the option, but there's rumor that we will on the next 15. We got to use them a bit in sim training, though. The loc/gs needles on the HUD are 8 times more sensitive than the normal needles, so the pilot flying looks like he's working really hard making very small, rapid, almost constant corrections while it looks like absolutely nothing is changing to the guy without the HUD. It's rather fun. What I really want is the system the Gulfstreams have with the FLIR through the HUD!

The G-V sim got a EVS for the HUD, so we had to learn it in order to teach it. It was/is an amazing device. We found that using the HUD wasn't really any harder, but the precision increased significantly. I hand-flew an entire checkride once (for practice, since coupled ops were required on the real ride) and was always within 40' (and usually 20') and nuts-on the needles, simply because the HUD provided such precise information on which to make control inputs.

Back