Converting rotary wing instrument to fixed wing

pipernd

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I have my rotary wing instrument. What do I need to do to get my SEL instrument rating at this point? I'm getting different answers from various people with no one really knowing the answer it seems. Anyone go through this that can help me out?

There's no such thing as a "single engine land" instrument rating. It's an "airplane" instrument rating. I presume you have a pilot certificate with single engine land rating on it already.

To get an instrument airplane rating is the same whether you have the helicopter one or not. Obviously, you get credit for the aeronautical experience for things that aren't specifically marked "must be in an airplane" in 61.65. Otherwise you don't really get any credit for having a different category instrument rating.

Just did it.

As said 61.65.

Basically 50 hrs XC total, 10 XC airplane and 15 hours of flight instruction from an airplane CFI-I including a 250 nm XC.

Also dissect the PTS as you don't have to do all the maneuvers but be proficient at them anyway in case the DPE chooses to have you do them.

Back