Converting from paint to polished aluminum

By golly I'm impressed with all the replies! Fearless thanks for starting this thread....7 years ago!! Dave, yes I didn't realize it till you mentioned it about 12,000 views is a lot! Must be people are interested in reading about this topic but not in posting about it. Jack thanks for your info especially concerning the prepainting etching process, where it may be impossible to get a good looking aluminum shine once the paint is removed. Actually, I think maybe so many people are interested in reading this thread is that repainting an aircraft is expensive and stripping paint from one is a lot of work. I have been a pilot for 44 years but only in the last few years have been in a position where I could buy a plane. I got my license in a 150 and they are a lot of fun to fly. Over the years kids came along and I didnt have money to keep current until last year. I started renting a 150 out of Chandler, AZ, a double runway and quite busy. They sold the 150 so now I rent a 172 out of Glendale, AZ. I think 150s aren't too popular for FBOs to rent out. Anyway I became a member of the Cessna 150 club and have gotten a lot of information there about flying, buying, and maintaining a 150....In today's market, 150s for sale are relatively plentiful and if you are patient and shop around, you can find a nice one with low SMOH for about $15,000. Painted vs polished aluminum in Arizona is something to consider. One time at Deer Valley Airport, AZ, in the spring when the temperature was about 100F, I was able to test the skin temperature of identical Cessna 172s parked right next to each other. The test was far from scientific, but simple and straightforward....I placed my hand on the fuselage top behind the wing. On the white painted 172, I could leave my hand...it was hot but not really uncomfortable....not so with the polished aluminum...after just a few seconds I could feel the metal burning my hand and had to take it away.....so simple answer polished aluminum planes in Arizona are much hotter...not to big a problem if you fly early after the sun comes up and not a problem in winter. Another consideration in buying a 150 is they are plentiful and one of the cheapest planes to maintain....but having said that it is still important to get one with low SMOH as even a field overhaul of the engine by a local mechanic can go anywhere from $12,000-14,000. Saving 15K to buy, having several thousand saved for mx and especially maybe another 12-14K for an engine overhaul the question of painting a bird with bad paint seems to take a simple cheap airplane and make it into a costly proposition. One of my friends got a quote to paint his 150 and it was $12,000. So Jack I agree, getting a polished plane to begin with seems the most cost effective way to keep your costs down. Deb's Luscombe sure was a beauty! Thanks for the welcome Timbeck2! Kenny yes I agree! In fact the Commemorative AF has Sentimental Journey, a polished aluminum B-17 in Mesa, AZ they keep looking beautiful!

Back