Convert my licence to FAA and work as CFI

Zaki

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Zaki
Hello
I hold an ICAO licence and would like to convert it to FAA, and do the CFI CFII and MEI training to have a chance to work in US and gain some experience. I had a good offer from Pelican Flight School

Any Advice ?

Thank you

Hello
I hold an ICAO licence and would like to convert it to FAA, and do the CFI CFII and MEI training to have a chance to work in US and gain some experience. I had a good offer from Pelican Flight School

Any Advice ?

Thank you

What country and what ratings do you hold?

Any Advice
Buy Low, sell High.

Can you elaborate on "I had a good offer from Pelican Flight School"? What is this offer? What are its terms?

Buy Low, sell High.

Can you elaborate on "I had a good offer from Pelican Flight School"? What is this offer? What are its terms?
About 30.000 $ for licence conversion and CFI CFII MEI training, the programme allow me to ge F1 visa+ 2 years of right to work on US

I hold frozen ICAO ATPL CPL IR i am from Algeria

Here's what you need to read: http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec14

Understand the process, and realize you aren't going to get a direct exchange of your Algerian certificate for a US certificate. You'll qualify for a FAA Private Pilot Certificate. You will have to test (written and practical) for Commercial and Instrument(written) (FAA) before you can train for the Flight Instructor certificates.

Also see http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgfar.nsf/farsbysectlookup/61.75

Last edited:
About 30.000 $ for licence conversion and CFI CFII MEI training, the programme allow me to ge F1 visa+ 2 years of right to work on US

Does this offer include housing while you are training?

You had best talk to an immigration attorney rather than believing what a fly-by-night flight school will tell you. You do **NOT** get 2 years right to work. You get to do CPT while you are actually enrolled in the qualified program for which your F-1 VISA is for, and then you may additionally get a year of OPT after you complete the program. You had better be able to show you have strong enough ties to your home country, because the F-1 visa won't be issued if they don't feel you'll get out when it's done.

Understand that there's no such thing as a "conversion" of an ICAO license. You can get a US private pilot certiicate based on your foreign license. You then have to meet all the requirements for the other certificates/ratings you are applying for. The only good part is your "aeronautical expierience" you've already accumulated counts towards your US certificate application.

You had best talk to an immigration attorney rather than believing what a fly-by-night flight school will tell you. You do **NOT** get 2 years right to work. You get to do CPT while you are actually enrolled in the qualified program for which your F-1 VISA is for, and then you may additionally get a year of OPT after you complete the program. You had better be able to show you have strong enough ties to your home country, because the F-1 visa won't be issued if they don't feel you'll get out when it's done.
I agree with you, what can i show him, to make them sure that i am going to live USA after the end of programme ? Do i need to tell them thzt i am going to work with CPT and OPT ?

You can't, unless you wrote that wrong. An F-1 is a non-immigrant visa. You are expected to return to your country (or at least leave the US) after you cease to be enrolled in the program.

You don't tell them that you expect CPT and OPT now. That's going to be highly suspect. They expect you to be able to PAY for all your tuition and living expenses without having to resort to a US job or other assistance. If you can't show that, you're going to be denied. Understand CPT is not a right. It's only permitted in direct support of the academic program you are in. Similar for the OPT after you finish.

You can't, unless you wrote that wrong. An F-1 is a non-immigrant visa. You are expected to return to your country (or at least leave the US) after you cease to be enrolled in the program.

You don't tell them that you expect CPT and OPT now. That's going to be highly suspect. They expect you to be able to PAY for all your tuition and living expenses without having to resort to a US job or other assistance. If you can't show that, you're going to be denied. Understand CPT is not a right. It's only permitted in direct support of the academic program you are in. Similar for the OPT after you finish.
Many thanks.

I'm in the same position and thinking about doing the same thing.
Did my ATPL and ME CPL 10 years ago and not been flying much sinse, looking to get back in the aviation business now.
Thinking about doing the FAA conversion and CFII MAI and hopefully build a lot of hours.

Anyone here done this at Pelican Flight Training or somewhere else?

After a year there either return to Europe and try to get a job there or try to get an airline to sponsor me for a visa in USA.
Is there 1500 hour minimum for a job in USA? I have a masters degree if that helps.

Back