Convert floats to wheels - 206?

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
How much is involved in converting a 206 that is currently on floats (either amphibs or straight) to wheels, provided all the parts are handy?

I am constantly eyeing turbo 206s which have been impossible to find, and all the recent ones have been on floats. If one were set on buying such a plane, is it worth considering buying one on floats and converting it to wheels, or is that a huge project? Could you sell off the floats and be more or less “even”, if you didn’t want to keep them?

How much is involved in converting a 206 that is currently on floats (either amphibs or straight) to wheels, provided all the parts are handy?

I am constantly eyeing turbo 206s which have been impossible to find, and all the recent ones have been on floats. If one were set on buying such a plane, is it worth considering buying one on floats and converting it to wheels, or is that a huge project? Could you sell off the floats and be more or less “even”, if you didn’t want to keep them?
When a crane is ready, about 4 hours. longer when the floats are not on wheels.

Just curious, what are you looking for in a t206 purchase? I count 36 currently on the market (with wheels).

Last edited:
Depends on the floats. Some are wanted more than others.

Unfortunately, I don't know the difference.

Just curious, what are you looking for in a t206 purchase? I count 36 currently on the market (with wheels).

A legacy one - pre-restart (1999ish, I think). That narrows the field dramatically to only a handful in the last two years, even though there are way more of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why not get a seaplane rating and make use of the floats?

If the floats are Aerocet? They'll sell quickly and fetch a good price. EDOs or Wips won't get the same price and may take longer to sell.

A legacy one - pre-restart (1999ish, I think). That narrows the field dramatically to only a handful in the last two years, even though there are way more of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, those are quite rare. Hope you find a good one.

Can you even find a set of wheels/landing gear? Or do most floatplanes get sold with the original gear and wheels, dug out from the back of the hangar somewhere?

Can you even find a set of wheels/landing gear? Or do most floatplanes get sold with the original gear and wheels, dug out from the back of the hangar somewhere?
Sometimes they advertise both. I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to piece it together, so I would make that (complete wheeled undercarriage) a condition of sale.

Back