Conversion to experimental we need to lobby

skipnsb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skipnsb
I think that at least antique aircraft (over 30 yrs old) should be allowed to have a conversion to an "Experimental-Antique" airworthiness certificate that allows you to maintain and modify them exactly the same as today's current "Experimental-Amateur Built" aircraft. There's no reason why a 40 yr old Cherokee or Skyhawk should not be allowed to be equipped with a Dynon EFIS, a TruTrak autopilot, etc, and only need an annual condition inspection by a plain A&P to be legally airworthy.

I'm against this for selfish reasons. I like certifieds and have seen some ummm interesting maintenance decisions made on exp aircraft. While I think folks like Geico in the RV community (and others) do a fine job, there's plenty of exp train wrecks out there. I personally think the MX cost for certified vs experimental are a bit over exaggerated. YES there are overpriced parts on a Bonanza but you almost never buy them, and the easiest check to write in my aviation budget is to my mechanic, I've always done owner assist on virtually everything. If you want an experimental, buy an experimental.

I think that at least antique aircraft (over 30 yrs old) should be allowed to have a conversion to an "Experimental-Antique" airworthiness certificate that allows you to maintain and modify them exactly the same as today's current "Experimental-Amateur Built" aircraft. There's no reason why a 40 yr old Cherokee or Skyhawk should not be allowed to be equipped with a Dynon EFIS, a TruTrak autopilot, etc, and only need an annual condition inspection by a plain A&P to be legally airworthy.

Amen! :yes:

Why does it take an act of congress and a president's signature for such a common sense idea? We, as an innovative country, one based on American exeptionalism, are relogated to bureaucratic mediocrity for generations to come if we continue to think the status quote is a good thing. We need to think outside the box in aviation, and in general. ;)

I'm against this for selfish reasons. I like certifieds and have seen some ummm interesting maintenance decisions made on exp aircraft. While I think folks like Geico in the RV community (and others) do a fine job, there's plenty of exp train wrecks out there. I personally think the MX cost for certified vs experimental are a bit over exaggerated. YES there are overpriced parts on a Bonanza but you almost never buy them, and the easiest check to write in my aviation budget is to my mechanic, I've always done owner assist on virtually everything. If you want an experimental, buy an experimental.

Nobody is forcing you to turn the Bo' into primary non-commercial. If you're concerned about resale, put your hobby money in stocks or gold coins buried in the backyard and drive the minivan on the weekends for fun. Jest aside, you don't have to make your standard AW aircraft into primary non-commercial. Just keep it the way it is and that way you don't have to fear your "aircraft investment" is going to take a plunge.

Primary non-commercial is a great thing, and it will be a boost to the aging aircraft fleet. Though the majority of the aging pilot population doesn't have a 3-seater mission, some of us younger pilots with families do, and we would like to have access to experimental avionics and some relief in parts and labor costs without having to resort to an effing house-priced RV-10 as a bottom end entry point to 4-seater GA, never mind no longer having to asking mother FAA to be allowed to tinker with my own 'effing airplane for basic maintenance. Certified 4-seaters have the cheapest #3 and #4 seats in the market, and under this re-categorization we can finally afford "RV-10" avionics. If that dips RV-10 prices, tough. I see it as a good thing.

Furthermore, avionics vendors will have a huge increase in their market share. As a consequence, avionic shops will see an increase in business. This one is a win win.

Furthermore, avionics vendors will have a huge increase in their market share. As a consequence, avionic shops will see an increase in business. This one is a win win.
As I told my A&P, when this is enacted, he'll immediately get the install of a Trio autopilot.

When I'm not spending $400 for an LED landing light, or $12k for an autopilot, or $140 for seat rollers, he'll get work orders to install LED markers and strobes, a Dynon EIS to replace the 45 year old engine gauges, a replacement flat instrument panel, and a Dynon EFIS in the next three years.

The shop labor is constant, but the insane costs of certified stuff is killing me, and preventing lots of upgrades.

Back