Conversion from foreign license after FAA Class 3 medical denied

N

NeilMonteiro

I had an FAA class 3 medical denied few years back. Since then, I have completed my PPL in another country and received my medical certificate and pilot license in that country. What are the ramifications of try to convert to an FAA PPL?

1. Will I need to undergo class 3 medical again in the US, before I apply for conversion?

2. Can I apply for conversion of the pilot license only, and fly in US with approved medical from the other country?

3. What happens if I apply to convert and FAA denies on the basis of past medical denial in US? Will it impact my valid license or medical in the other country? Basically, will the FAA open a can of worms with the other country’s civil aviation authority? That I will then have to deal with outside USA? I don’t want to risk losing my flying privileges outside USA.

A US certificate based on a foreign license requires you have both a US medical and you keep your foreign license in effect (including whatever medical requirements your issuing country has). The basis for conversion specifically mentions a part 67 medical.

Ah… thanks for clarifying. I’ll try to resolve the medical first then. Many thousands of dollars and weeks waiting to be wasted with FAA f*&$ery.

I was under the Impression that when you convert/validate a non US pilot license to a US one that the medical certificate from the other country is what counted.

“Remember that your FAA certificate will be based on your foreign license and that all limitation will apply such as night flying. Also, your foreign license must be valid along with the foreign medical certificate in order for the FAA Certificate to be valid.”

Last edited:
I was under the Impression that when you convert/validate a non US pilot license to a US one that the medical certificate from the other country is what counted.
65.71 (b)(4). You can hold either one. I was wrong earlier.

Last edited:
This is an infrequently discussed loophole but one of the possible ways around a denied medical. I believe Bob Hoover famously got an Australian license and medical to keep flying after the FAA revoked his medical over political bickering.

I had an FAA class 3 medical denied few years back. Since then, I have completed my PPL in another country and received my medical certificate and pilot license in that country. What are the ramifications of try to convert to an FAA PPL?

1. Will I need to undergo class 3 medical again in the US, before I apply for conversion?

2. Can I apply for conversion of the pilot license only, and fly in US with approved medical from the other country?

3. What happens if I apply to convert and FAA denies on the basis of past medical denial in US? Will it impact my valid license or medical in the other country? Basically, will the FAA open a can of worms with the other country’s civil aviation authority? That I will then have to deal with outside USA? I don’t want to risk losing my flying privileges outside USA.
61.71 (b)(4). You can hold either one. I was wrong earlier.
To compliment this, I did email the FAA though their IARCA verification page and they confirmed this.
What country do you plan on going to? lmk.

This is an infrequently discussed loophole but one of the possible ways around a denied medical. I believe Bob Hoover famously got an Australian license and medical to keep flying after the FAA revoked his medical over political bickering.
Does this actually work?
If I get a private pilot license and a 1st class medical in Australia, would I for any reason from then on require an FAA medical in the United States for training or any level higher than PPL all the way to the ATP level?

Back