Conversion between U.S. and Canadian Pilot Licences

Lakzz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lakzz
Hey.

I intend to convert my FAA CPL-IR-MULTI into TCCA (Canada) ratings.

Does anyone have been through this process? From their website, it seems pretty easy.

Any idea concerning the time and cost for the conversion?
Is there any book or support for preaparing the written exams?

For those unfamiliar, the process is outlined here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part4/standards/421.htm#421_07

Note that this is a temporary certificate (max one year duration) and is allowed only for the limited purposes stated in the Standard. AFAIK, there is no direct conversion process allowing an FAA CPL to be turned into a permanent and unrestricted Canadian CPL without going through the regular Canadian pilot certificate issuance process including written and flight tests.

For those unfamiliar, the process is outlined here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part4/standards/421.htm#421_07

Note that this is a temporary certificate (max one year duration) and is allowed only for the limited purposes stated in the Standard. AFAIK, there is no direct conversion process allowing an FAA CPL to be turned into a permanent and unrestricted Canadian CPL without going through the regular Canadian pilot certificate issuance process including written and flight tests.

Ron is wrong once again. :D

Please see AC 61-135 for the guidance.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/regulator...84a724ff35f1089086257245004b35a3?opendocument

What you are looking at there Ron is the process for an FLVC or just validation, not a conversion. I recently went through this process for my rotor ratings, didn't do it for the fixed wing, but what I do know is that the fixed wing process is easier - on the rotor side we still have to take all of the written exams.

All you need to do is obtain a Transport Canada medical - there are several docs in the US that do this and a search on the TC website (tc.gc.ca) will give you the information you need. After that, it's a matter of filling out the Flight Crew License App, showing up at a TC office (Toronto is where I went) paying them some cash (around $250 for ATP, less for Comm or Pvt) showing your logbook and FAA certs and that's it.

Here's a link to the AC on TC's website:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-usconversion-menu-483.htm

This outlines the agreement between TC and the FAA and also in the appendix gives you the requirements for conversion. There are also links to the FCL Application.

If you want to PM me, I do have a contact in the Ottawa office who is really good at answering questions. I can pass that along.

First off thanks for your replies.

I'm actually living in NYC. The only doctor doing TC medicals is far away upstate... I'd rather fly to Montreal or Toronto.

Okay, so first, I get my medical.

Second, is my presence required or can I simply send the licenses and the paper work?

Then, I guess that the written test comes next... Is there any kind of support for studying? And is there and session held in the US or should I go all the way up in Canada once again?

I recently went through this process for my rotor ratings, didn't do it for the fixed wing, but what I do know is that the fixed wing process is easier - on the rotor side we still have to take all of the written exams.
Do type ratings also convert without taking an additional checkride? I've also wondered how the whole 135 process (or whatever they call it in Canada) would work if you tried to be current on both licenses. I think it would be pretty complicated. I guess that's why we aren't trying it.

First off thanks for your replies.

I'm actually living in NYC. The only doctor doing TC medicals is far away upstate... I'd rather fly to Montreal or Toronto.

Okay, so first, I get my medical.

Second, is my presence required or can I simply send the licenses and the paper work?

Then, I guess that the written test comes next... Is there any kind of support for studying? And is there and session held in the US or should I go all the way up in Canada once again?

No writtens for you, you are converting a neutered wing license and from what I understand, yes, your presence is required, but check with the TC office to be sure of that.

Do type ratings also convert without taking an additional checkride? I've also wondered how the whole 135 process (or whatever they call it in Canada) would work if you tried to be current on both licenses. I think it would be pretty complicated. I guess that's why we aren't trying it.

I think type ratings transfer Mari, mine did and I didn't do anything type-related, just the general knowledge and IFR exams which are required for rotor conversions only.

As far as currency, you would be required to do a PPC in addition to your 293/297/299 checks, so it would be two more checkrides a year. TC does recognize FAA medicals now, so after the initial TC medical you just have to present your FAA medical to revalidate the TC one.

No writtens for you, you are converting a neutered wing license and from what I understand, yes, your presence is required, but check with the TC office to be sure of that.

If you want to do a full conversion, the writtens are required...they're actually specific to differences in "Air Law" between US and Canada.

That way you get a full Canadian License (not called a certificate up north) without the usual "Issued on the basis of..." restriction.

I think type ratings transfer Mari, mine did and I didn't do anything type-related, just the general knowledge and IFR exams which are required for rotor conversions only.

As far as currency, you would be required to do a PPC in addition to your 293/297/299 checks, so it would be two more checkrides a year. TC does recognize FAA medicals now, so after the initial TC medical you just have to present your FAA medical to revalidate the TC one.
I was mainly just curious. I doubt that we would ever do this since there are a lot of complexities and companies involved. It just seems weird that there are two identical airplanes under the same umbrella so to speak, one C-numbered and one N-numbered and we can't interchange crewmembers at all. But it's probably simpler that way.

If you want to do a full conversion, the writtens are required...they're actually specific to differences in "Air Law" between US and Canada.

That way you get a full Canadian License (not called a certificate up north) without the usual "Issued on the basis of..." restriction.

This is what I'm talking about. How can I get ready for this written?

This is what I'm talking about. How can I get ready for this written?

I thought these guys had it (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Canada/), but they have TCAA->FAA conversion tests, but not the other way.

They do have TCAA test prep software, however. I suppose if you study for the full Private/Rec or IR you should be able to pass the conversion.

Back