Convergence insufficiency question

U

Unregistered

Hi Dr. Bruce.....

About 10 years ago, I noticed that I was having some trouble keeping my eyes focused when looking to my extreme right side. During my next visit to the eye doctor, I mentioned this issue to the assistant there. She basically laughed and asked if I hit myself on the head. So.... I felt like an idiot and did not speak of it again for many years.

During my first medical a few years ago, I had difficulty with the test where I was asked to read where the two lines meet (you know the one). They had me try it three times and I basically ventured a guess that must have been close enough for the tester.

When I am looking to my extreme right, I get double vision and my one eye floats. I for the most part just work around this issue now by turning my head instead of looking to my side. I know that I am not fixing the issue but dealing with it.

So what can I do? I have another medical exam in a couple years and I want to be confident that I do not have any issues. Does the FAA allow me to use glasses with prism to pass my vision tests? I generally wear contacts (no prism). I have heard that regular use of glasses with prism can just make the issue worse over time because the eyes are not working as hard to stay aligned. I have heard that there are computer-based therapy programs that can help, but the eye doctors that I have gone to in recent years have not been able to recommend any specific treatment aside from expensive glasses, which I am hesitant to wear for everyday use.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide!

No prisms allowed.
You need to see an opthalmologist. Many times this can be surgicially corrected and its' not a big procedure.

The alternative is to just stay with 3rd class. There is no convergence requirement for 3rd.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back