Controllers blamed for Navy/Coast Guard VFR mid-air

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A failure by Navy air traffic controllers to follow standard procedures contributed to a midair collision that killed seven Coast Guard members and two Marines off Southern California last year, according to a Coast Guard report released Tuesday.

The collision occurred in a so-called military warning area — airspace that is not controlled by the Federal Aviation Administration. Pilots are on their own to watch for others in the area.

The Navy faulted the Coast Guard and Marine pilots for failing to watch out for each other, saying it was their responsibility to avoid crashing under "see-and-avoid" rules, even though the controller was aware of their presence.

"Both aircraft were operating under visual flight rules and were ultimately responsible for their own safety, navigation and separation from other aircraft," the Navy report said.ttp://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gCJN2Wyd01AZIxooIYmr3QOOzBAAD9HQ4K700

Those controllers not flying right again. :dunno:

I don't get it. Tired I guess. The quote says that the Navy is faulting the pilots, but the thread title says the Navy is faulting the controllers.

A failure by Navy air traffic controllers to follow standard procedures contributed to a midair collision that killed seven Coast Guard members and two Marines off Southern California last year, according to a Coast Guard report released Tuesday.

Apparently I can't just post a quote. So I'm putting words here to let me post it.

Sounds like there's some inter-service finger-pointing going on here.
But VMC=eyes outside, so I'm not sure how much ATC could have "contributed" on this one. :dunno:

Sounds like there's some inter-service finger-pointing going on here.
But VMC=eyes outside, so I'm not sure how much ATC could have "contributed" on this one. :dunno:

I'm curious to know what standard procedures the Navy air traffic controllers failed to follow that contributed to this midair collision.

I'm curious to know what standard procedures the Navy air traffic controllers failed to follow that contributed to this midair collision.

I believe alert the aircraft of the presence/proximity of each other was a big one. As with any collision in VMC, it is always the pilots responsibility to see and avoid, but when two aircraft are both talking to a controller and there is a conflict and the controller (for whatever reason) doesn't speak up and at least say something....that is most definitely a contributing factor.

I believe alert the aircraft of the presence/proximity of each other was a big one. As with any collision in VMC, it is always the pilots responsibility to see and avoid, but when two aircraft are both talking to a controller and there is a conflict and the controller (for whatever reason) doesn't speak up and at least say something....that is most definitely a contributing factor.

Did the controller know the proximity? The article states, "The Marine Cobra helicopter that crashed had not turned on its anti-collision light and transponder." The collision occurred in a Warning Area, probably at low altitude. The closest Warning Area to North Island NAS begins 17 miles from the field. Did the controller have even a primary target?

There is word that the helicopters were flying lights out, so seeing would have been more of a challenge.

When I was 16, I was speeding and so was the guy behind me. I did a hard stop to avoid rear ending someone making a left turn, and got plowed from behind.

The guy who hit me was cited and found at fault, but the trooper listed on his report that my speed was a contributing factor.

Who knows what the controllers did or didnt do. Maybe one of em was having a personal phone call, or one of em left to go take a dump. I wonder if incidental findings are being considered contributing factors.

Back