Contract signed, now what?

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Thanks to everyone that contributed to many aimless previous posts, now the stuff gets real! I've a signed contract to buy a C172, same year and model that I am training in. IFR Waas AP. 30+ hr student here. Seller already has an escrow account. I've sent $1,000 non refundable. Pre buy Monday from an unfamiliar mechanic. I tried to set up financing through AOPA, have not heard back. I tried to call the AOPA number, must have been busy yesterday. I guess I need insurance and title search. My questions:

1. Should I just wait for AOPA finance people to get back in touch with me or should I get the ball rolling otherwise?
2. Do the finance people help with all I need to know or are there things like title search I need to work on?
3. What should I do and when should I worry about insurance?
4. Are there tutorials on how to tie your plane down outside? I am on the list for a hanger.
5. Engine preheat, while we rarely get super cold, it is in 30s this am. I do not think I will be near an outlet. What should I do and be aware of?
6. 1900 hrs on engine, new cylinders. Seller said TRIAD said it could go for 2500 as is, bottom not needed yet. What say you? A local mechanic suggested taking cylinders off, sending the rest in to shops and call it a field overhaul. I wonder if best for value is fly it a couple hundred then get 0 time engine.
7. I know people that would want to rent time or buy in. Do you ever do such things? I'm thinking no for now.

I plan to be present for the pre buy. I bought and am reading all the Michael Busch books. If I subscribe to what he preaches regarding engine time, how to I find a mechanic that will work me?

Please answer the questions I do not know to ask/

1. I financed through AOPA (ultimately the lender was US Alliance). It was more like a mortgage than a car loan and took a while to gather everything together.
2. Aerospace Reports did the title search/escrow for me. They were great and made the process easy.
3. You'll want insurance lined up for when you take ownership of the plane. I also used AOPA/AssuredPartners here.
4. Ask your CFI.
5. My plane's outside, I don't preheat. If it's much below freezing, it's too cold to fly anyway.
6/7 no comment

Try to keep your powder dry for the first annual or three.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to many aimless previous posts, now the stuff gets real! I've a signed contract to buy a C172, same year and model that I am training in. IFR Waas AP. 30+ hr student here. Seller already has an escrow account. I've sent $1,000 non refundable. Pre buy Monday from an unfamiliar mechanic. I tried to set up financing through AOPA, have not heard back. I tried to call the AOPA number, must have been busy yesterday. I guess I need insurance and title search. My questions:

1. Should I just wait for AOPA finance people to get back in touch with me or should I get the ball rolling otherwise?
2. Do the finance people help with all I need to know or are there things like title search I need to work on?
4. Are there tutorials on how to tie your plane down outside? I am on the list for a hanger.
5. Engine preheat, while we rarely get super cold, it is in 30s this am. I do not think I will be near an outlet. What should I do and be aware of?
6. 1900 hrs on engine, new cylinders. Seller said TRIAD said it could go for 2500 as is, bottom not needed yet. What say you? A local mechanic suggested taking cylinders off, sending the rest in to shops and call it a field overhaul. I wonder if best for value is fly it a couple hundred then get 0 time engine.
7. I know people that would want to rent time or buy in. Do you ever do such things? I'm thinking no for now.

I plan to be present for the pre buy. I bought and am reading all the Michael Busch books. If I subscribe to what he preaches regarding engine time, how to I find a mechanic that will work me?

Is the $1000 non refundable for the Pre Buy? Did you hire the A&P or did the seller?

Call Dorr Aircraft Finance. They are great.

Plan on spending 20% of the purchase price in maintenance the first year.

Good luck.

1. I financed through AOPA (ultimately the lender was US Alliance). It was more like a mortgage than a car loan and took a while to gather everything together.
2. Aerospace Reports did the title search/escrow for me. They were great and made the process easy.
3. You'll want insurance lined up for when you take ownership of the plane. I also used AOPA/AssuredPartners here.
4. Ask your CFI.
5. My plane's outside, I don't preheat. If it's much below freezing, it's too cold to fly anyway.
6/7 no comment

Try to keep your powder dry for the first annual or three.
Yeah, planning on 10K first year

Is the $1000 non refundable for the Pre Buy? Did you hire the A&P or did the seller?

non refundable. I hired the prebuy AP. Will be in hanger of current owners mechanic

Call Dorr Aircraft Finance. They are great.

Plan on spending 20% of the purchase price in maintenance the first year.

Good luck.

Can do, but I was planning on just over 10%.

If AOPA is handling it, simply stay in touch with them and they will guide you through it. I bought the first plane using them. The next two were super simple because of the trust we had with each other. If you have the trust it’s more simple than transferring the title on a car. I sold one that way too.

If there is trust, it’s as simple as one person writing a check and both people signing the FAA registration papers.

As someone who went through this recently, I will try to provide a perspective. These shouldn't be considered answers, since all purchases/aircraft/sellers/pre-buys.... everything is different. So, the ol' YMMV really applies here. It may be easiest to just break down your post and comment inline.

-- Ok, the ship has sailed on the $1,000 non-refundable deposit. That is something I would not have done. We used a purchase agreement found on AOPA's site and modified to fit our needs. We put money in escrow, but the contract had language that allowed us to get our deposit back if the pre-buy fell through. For future readers of this post, I highly recommend such a contract. Check out AOPA's resources for aircraft purchases. They are pretty good and they helped us a lot in terms of steps and documents to use. Here is the link: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/buying-an-aircraft

-- If you need financing for this purchase and you already put down a $1,000 deposit and have a pre-buy scheduled, you should have already made sure you have all your financing buttoned up. They would have worked with you to set up an escrow account, by the way. Call them back ASAP. Are you approved for financing? Doesn't sound like it since you said you tired to set it up. You are going to need to plunk down the rest of the agreed upon purchase price into that escrow account upon successful completion of pre-buy (including agreeing on who pays for what, which should have been outlined in your purchase agreement). So, yeah... you need to get on this ASAP. Otherwise, how are you going to pay for the aircraft? Our purchase agreement had language around timing of payment - meaning the seller would expect to get paid within n number of days after pre-buy or the deal was off and, in that case, seller did get to keep the deposit.

2. Do the finance people help with all I need to know or are there things like title search I need to work on? -

- Yes, they will work on the title search for you. Another reason to get on the phone with them ASAP and get that buttoned up.

-- You should have already lined this up, too. But it isn't too too late - call a few brokers and get quotes. Do you know how much is the hull value? (that was bad grammar yikes). How much liability do you want to carry? I carry $1M/$100,000 meaning insurance will pay up to a million in liability for each incident and $100k per person for each incident. I terms of insurance brokers - I used Travers. I liked the conversation I had with John Travers and his staff and they came in with the lowest premium. This will probably spark debate on this forum - everybody has a different experience with insurance companies. They are like car insurance companies. Go with the one offering a low premium and one you feel will provide good customer service. I recommend getting a quote from three firms.

-- This is the least of your concerns. Here, I googled it for you and this was the first hit:

-- Don't melt the paint off the cowl. If the FBO has a pre-heater, use that, but make sure the line guys don't get the heat source too close. They probably have done it a million times, but make sure you watch how they do it the first time. Or, take Mike Busch's advice - fly later in the day. Please also make sure you get all the frost off your wings if you do fly in the mornings.

-- Oh man, where to start with this. That's great that the seller said you could go past TBO to 2,500. I have a bridge to sell you in NY if you are interested PM me... Seriously, of course the seller said that. Be prepared to overhaul that engine the first day you get it home. Yes, even after pre-buy. You may get to 2,500 or 3,000 hours on that engine. You may need a new one right away. They are all different. You don't know how the previous owners/operators treated that thing. Has it sat for extended periods of time? Where is it located (humid/dry climate)? They are all different. Our engine is mid-high time and I am prepared to replace it and have been since day 1. That was factored heavily into the sale price - we basically bought the plane at a price expecting to plunk down $30k right away. If we get a few years or more out of the current engine - bonus time!

In terms of taking cylinders out and doing a field overhaul.... why are you doing that? You don't know if there is anything wrong with the engine yet. So don't do that. If it is running good and doesn't show signs of needing an overhaul, don't mess with it. If the pre-buy shows an engine that is completely run out, then you need to make a tough decision. Either buy the plane as if it didn't have an engine (meaning factor this into the price), work with your mechanic to figure out best options (OH, new engine, top..) or, better yet, walk away.

-- Options are - buy it yourself, go in with partners or do a leaseback. If you go with partners, then you will get to decide whether or not to go with an LLC or not... that's a different topic. Here is good info on leasebacks - https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/captain-jason’s-leaseback-advice.15708/

-- As around the field for names of other guys owners go with. Word of mouth is good. That's how I found our shop even though it's not on our home field.

-- Yeah, that's the trick isn't it? You don't know what you don't know. You will get lots of on-the-job-training your first year, for sure. Aircraft ownership is incredibly rewarding. But it is also frustrating, expensive, daunting, expensive, time-consuming, expensive and also expensive. But rewarding. Good luck.

As someone who went through this recently, I will try to provide a perspective. These shouldn't be considered answers, since all purchases/aircraft/sellers/pre-buys.... everything is different. So, the ol' YMMV really applies here. It may be easiest to just break down your post and comment inline.

-- Ok, the ship has sailed on the $1,000 non-refundable deposit. That is something I would not have done. We used a purchase agreement found on AOPA's site and modified to fit our needs. We put money in escrow, but the contract had language that allowed us to get our deposit back if the pre-buy fell through. For future readers of this post, I highly recommend such a contract. Check out AOPA's resources for aircraft purchases. They are pretty good and they helped us a lot in terms of steps and documents to use. Here is the link: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/buying-an-aircraft

-- If you need financing for this purchase and you already put down a $1,000 deposit and have a pre-buy scheduled, you should have already made sure you have all your financing buttoned up. They would have worked with you to set up an escrow account, by the way. Call them back ASAP. Are you approved for financing? Doesn't sound like it since you said you tired to set it up. You are going to need to plunk down the rest of the agreed upon purchase price into that escrow account upon successful completion of pre-buy (including agreeing on who pays for what, which should have been outlined in your purchase agreement). So, yeah... you need to get on this ASAP. Otherwise, how are you going to pay for the aircraft? Our purchase agreement had language around timing of payment - meaning the seller would expect to get paid within n number of days after pre-buy or the deal was off and, in that case, seller did get to keep the deposit.

2. Do the finance people help with all I need to know or are there things like title search I need to work on? -

- Yes, they will work on the title search for you. Another reason to get on the phone with them ASAP and get that buttoned up.

-- You should have already lined this up, too. But it isn't too too late - call a few brokers and get quotes. Do you know how much is the hull value? (that was bad grammar yikes). How much liability do you want to carry? I carry $1M/$100,000 meaning insurance will pay up to a million in liability for each incident and $100k per person for each incident. I terms of insurance brokers - I used Travers. I liked the conversation I had with John Travers and his staff and they came in with the lowest premium. This will probably spark debate on this forum - everybody has a different experience with insurance companies. They are like car insurance companies. Go with the one offering a low premium and one you feel will provide good customer service. I recommend getting a quote from three firms.

-- This is the least of your concerns. Here, I googled it for you and this was the first hit:

-- Don't melt the paint off the cowl. If the FBO has a pre-heater, use that, but make sure the line guys don't get the heat source too close. They probably have done it a million times, but make sure you watch how they do it the first time. Or, take Mike Busch's advice - fly later in the day. Please also make sure you get all the frost off your wings if you do fly in the mornings.

-- Oh man, where to start with this. That's great that the seller said you could go past TBO to 2,500. I have a bridge to sell you in NY if you are interested PM me... Seriously, of course the seller said that. Be prepared to overhaul that engine the first day you get it home. Yes, even after pre-buy. You may get to 2,500 or 3,000 hours on that engine. You may need a new one right away. They are all different. You don't know how the previous owners/operators treated that thing. Has it sat for extended periods of time? Where is it located (humid/dry climate)? They are all different. Our engine is mid-high time and I am prepared to replace it and have been since day 1. That was factored heavily into the sale price - we basically bought the plane at a price expecting to plunk down $30k right away. If we get a few years or more out of the current engine - bonus time!

In terms of taking cylinders out and doing a field overhaul.... why are you doing that? You don't know if there is anything wrong with the engine yet. So don't do that. If it is running good and doesn't show signs of needing an overhaul, don't mess with it. If the pre-buy shows an engine that is completely run out, then you need to make a tough decision. Either buy the plane as if it didn't have an engine (meaning factor this into the price), work with your mechanic to figure out best options (OH, new engine, top..) or, better yet, walk away.

-- Options are - buy it yourself, go in with partners or do a leaseback. If you go with partners, then you will get to decide whether or not to go with an LLC or not... that's a different topic. Here is good info on leasebacks - https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/captain-jason’s-leaseback-advice.15708/

-- As around the field for names of other guys owners go with. Word of mouth is good. That's how I found our shop even though it's not on our home field.

-- Yeah, that's the trick isn't it? You don't know what you don't know. You will get lots of on-the-job-training your first year, for sure. Aircraft ownership is incredibly rewarding. But it is also frustrating, expensive, daunting, expensive, time-consuming, expensive and also expensive. But rewarding. Good luck.

Thank you. We are prepared to buy a new engine. Might even do so. Perhaps this is not the place to discuss going beyond TBO? I am ignorant but reading. Reading is not living it.

AOPA sample forum includes non refundable deposit. The market is hot, the ad is down. I'm happy for now.

I want financing so that I can avoid capital gains on appreciated assets. Financing will not screw up the deal. Will call them again this am.

Thanks, will look into Travers.

Tying down a plane is high on my list of concerns. Like real soon the plane might be mine. Thanks for the link!

Thank you. We are prepared to buy a new engine. Might even do so. Perhaps this is not the place to discuss going beyond TBO? I am ignorant but reading. Reading is not living it.

AOPA sample forum includes non refundable deposit. The market is hot, the ad is down. I'm happy for now.

I want financing so that I can avoid capital gains on appreciated assets. Financing will not screw up the deal. Will call them again this am.

Thanks, will look into Travers.

Tying down a plane is high on my list of concerns. Like real soon the plane might be mine. Thanks for the link!

stuff about TBO
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/why-are-airplane-engine-tbo-hours-so-low.129597/

The finance company will do the title search if you don't, but you should. AeroSpace Reports does a good job and is cost efficient, especially if you're an AOPA member. Look here : https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraf...n-aircraft/aircraft-title-and-escrow-services . I recommend the accident/incident reports as well.

I presume that your pre-buy mechanic will check on any oil-analysis history. Hopefully, there has been one with every oil change, so find out what oil analysis lab they used. I think you should also ask if he's bringing his borescope. If he's not going to borescope it, I'd be a little concerned. If your pre-buy mechanic is the seller's mechanic, I'd be very concerned.

Insurance....if you're a 30 hour student you might be shocked at the cost of insurance. When I bought....I got quotes on every airplane I considered and knew exactly what insurance was going to cost me before I signed the purchase agreement. Call Gallagher or BWI. Today. You'd better find out from your instructor if he will require a waiver of subrogation, or if he needs to be named on your policy in order to instruct you in your airplane. Or if your policy includes an Open Pilot Warranty.

Be prepared for very common experience that you will have to put in a fair amount of money to get it suitably flyable...fixing little squawks etc is usual. Note that aircraft expenses come in increments of $1000, that amount also being known as an AMU (Aviation Monetary Unit).

Personally, I didn't use escrow and the seller didn't care. I just brought a cashier's check for the entire amount.

Don't forget to have the previous owner sign off on the back of his registration and send it to the FAA so it is no longer registered to him. At the same time, send in the FAA's registration application ($5) so it can be registered in your name (it will take about 2 months to get the certificate...keep a copy of the application in the plane). To re-register in your name, the FAA will want an original Bill of Sale ( http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/ac8050-2(12.1.20).pdf ) with seller's signature in ink (so you have to have him sign two Bills of Sale), as well as the registration application ( http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC8050-1(12.1.20).pdf ). These are all downloadable on the web...overview here. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/register_aircraft/ .

The forms can be downloaded on the web and filled out by hand, or you can bring them up as an online fillable PDF and print them out.

Find out your if your state has a registration requirement. if it doesn't, there may be an annual personal property tax instead. Most state will have a sales/use tax (depending on the state). If you buy in your own state, you'll likely have to pay sales tax. If you in another state and then fly it to your state, you'll likely have to pay use tax, which is usually the same rate. That can be a lot of money, so provide for that in your budget if sales tax has to be paid on an airplane sale in your state. At the same time, you can find out if there's an annual registration fee or personal property tax. You might have to account for an annual registration fee, or if your state doesn't require registration, an annual property tax assessment. There might be some states where sales or use tax can be avoided, but you'll have to research that. Here, sales tax is due the moment the airplane hits Minnesota airspace. There's no avoiding it...they've closed all the old loopholes.

Sorry to be so detailed, especially if you already know all this stuff, but your questions suggest that you might have gone off a little half-cocked on this purchase in putting down a $1000 non-refundable deposit on this airplane before you know all the details, and it's not clear at all what else you aren't aware of. There are a lot of gotchas in this process.

Good luck. It's very exciting.

Last edited:

It is my personal opinion that If you are waiting for someone you are already behind.

And pictures are required here....:yesnod:

I am buying this plane from the now current owner

http://www.cessna172club.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=74660

No current photos cause I have not seen the plane yet.

I have engaged some with an insurance man.

Financing is tough, finally got an email back from AOPA. Tough part is all the records, our all in one scanner printer is on the fritz, have to scan one page at a time, 45 pages in one year of taxes.

What does a new IO 320 E2D cost??

Same as a candy bar, about $50,000.

If you are referring to Triad in Greensboro I wouldn’t trust them further than you can throw that 172. Your other questions have been answered appropriately.

If you are referring to Triad in Greensboro I wouldn’t trust them further than you can throw that 172.
Oh come on...this statement means nothing without context. How about a little elaboration on your opinion...?

Oh come on...this statement means nothing without context. How about a little elaboration on your opinion...?
They have a local track record or poor quality work. Screwed up the cylinders on one of my planes, local flying club has sent two of their engines back after an overhaul. Several other locals that have had issues with them.

You know, it is amazing anyone buys any kind of plane at all, so many full of reasons to not do every possible thing!

You know, it is amazing anyone buys any kind of plane at all, so many full of reasons to not do every possible thing!
Haha well that’s probably because too many people are buying overpriced airplanes with hopes that old engine will last a few more years then get stuck with a 40k repair bill on a plane worth 40k in the first place.

Decide what you need to be comfortable with your choice. Have a thorough pre purchase inspection . AOPA now uses a new bank for aircraft loans. Aerospace reports can give you some guidance on the paperwork. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Congratulations, 4RNB! I hope your purchase goes smoothly. AOPA can be a big help in helping you through the process.

We tied down for few years, and went through some pretty high winds. I always tied both wings (like the video showed), then looped the tie down rope through the tail tie down and pulled the airplane back so the wing ropes were angled slightly forward. I didn't want loose ropes so the wind could get the airplane moving then jerk, or turn the airplane (sometimes this happend despite my best efforts). I tried to always park so the airplane was (hopefully) facing into the wind.

If the engine is running strong, I would fly it a while.

I would never rent an aircraft I owned. Renters are hard on equipment.

Don't be too bummed out by all the naysayers. It is a blast to own your own airplane! It just gets a little expensive sometimes :).

Yeah, planning on 10K first year
Yep, YTD for me for 2020 has been almost exactly $10k. I'm on my third year of mx but should be caught up Real Soon Now...

TCO breakdown:
tiedown 100/mo = 1200/yr
insurance = 1500/yr
gas 40 hours/yr * 6gph * 5/gal = 1200/yr
the rest was split roughly evenly between annual and other misc mx.

Hopefully eventually the steady state will settle down to maybe 5-6k/year.

And yes, the 20% of the price in the first year for maintenance costs is overblown. I also have a 172, they're very simple airplanes. My costs have been much much less than that.

When we owned a 172 (had it for about 4 years), our costs were much less as well. It was a great airplane (our first), and in 4 years of ownership, our maintenance costs were only about 10% of the purchase price for the 4 years. Not bad. Sometimes, you just get lucky. :)

So we took a test ride together yesterday. He was a little later than expected, I was worried I'd been scammed out of my deposit.

It was a seriously nice looking plane. Better than what we train in, better than my CFIs, better than the Cardinal we went to sit in. The entire set up of a plane we tested near Richmond looked cleaner, but this one has functional AP. I got to see AP work, at one point he just dialed a different heading in the GPS and the plane F'n turned itself! AP gave trim suggestions. Yoke button to turn AP off. Front and center in panel is a button to hit to engage AP to give level flight, I call it the heart attack button. CO2 monitor, all gauges worked.

Snuck the prebuy in also last night. I've never done one but I feel well enough to proceed. Mechanic thought it was well equipped with upgrades, had a few things to keep an eye on, no deal breakers. He stressed that everyone will try and rip off a new pilot and that I should consider keeping the same maintenance man to avoid that.

I’m just over three years into GA. I’ve found quite the opposite to “everyone” will try to rip off a new pilot.

I’ve been steered away from ideas of grand upgrades, given smarter options and when confused, allowed to think it out. I’ve, because of an unexpected move and purchase of second plane used 4-5 IAs and all have been encouraging, understood my budget and intentions. That line you were told is inaccurate.

He stressed that everyone will try and rip off a new pilot and that I should consider keeping the same maintenance man to avoid that.

There are a few rip off artists around aviation just like in everything else. His concern may be, and what I have found corroborates, that every mechanic is different. Some will see something on an airplane as maybe not the best but still safe, while another would have a heart attack over the same item and say you are going to die. A new set of eyes will see things the other guy may have glossed over. I have seen threads on this very forum where mechanics agrued back and forth about a particular item --even the mechanics can't agree and their liability insurance isn't even involved. :) If your guy recommends staying with the same mechanic, then unless you see a good reason to change, why not do it.

I only got ripped off one time by an instrument overhaul shop at Gillespie Field just outside San Diego. I took my plane in to swap out my Altitude encoder that went bad and the owner told me the encoder was fine and that my brand new transponder was bad. I had paid $850 for it used from another shop who certified it as good. The instrument overhaul place then said they tested both my encoder and transponder and the transponder was the issue and they just so happened to have a $1500 Garmin laying around they could swap in. When I said no he said eh would charge me $500 for the work already done or I could get eh new transponder. I paid for the new transponder and what do you know. First flight, no altitude. I also lost 15% on the return of the other transponder which once again tested fine. When I told the owner he said, "oh well at least you have a new transponder." I would have sued them if I had more time. Ssssoooooo...I will never go this particular instrument overhaul shop at Gillespie Field in San Diego located near the base of the tower.

Back