Continued training while awaiting medical correction

synack127

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
synack127
Hello all, apologies if this has been answered but I could not locate a definitive answer.

I have been issued a class 3 medical certificate but I am currently in the process of correcting an issue that was on my application. I am sending a letter explaining the issue and included supporting medical documentation and PCP letter that should resolve the issue.

My understanding is that this process and FAA responses could be quite delayed and cause this issue to drag out for some time.

My question is, while under the direct supervision of a CFI and since I would not be PIC, could I still continue all training up to the point of solo without repercussions? I would still like to make some progress if possible while awaiting affirmative response from FAA.

I appreciate any insight.

Last edited:
Unless you have a condition that you don't think would qualify you for the medical certificate you hold, there's no reason to not use it until the FAA tells you otherwise.

I have no current condition, it was a very short term exposure (months) to a common anxiety medication, and my PCP supports that it is no longer needed (related to life event). This event was many years ago.

If medical issue is expected to be resolved, then no reason not to proceed with training. You technically can complete all the Dual requirements prior to solo.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:
Anxiety meds (common or otherwise) aren’t easy breezy with FAA medicals. Does your AME know (did they coordinate sharing with the FAA)?

Regardless, you can always train with a CFI. No medical requirements there.

Good luck with the medical and training!

I had been advised by Dr. Bruce to send my documents and letter of explanation, doing exactly what he says as everyone on this board seems to suggest. Would it be better to coordinate it with my own AME? I realize that it's not a straightforward and fast process but I do believe my case is relatively so.

You currently have a medical that hasn't been revoked or surrendered? Are you sending information in before your next medical because there was an intentional omission on your last application?

It was certainly an error that I would like to proactively correct before putting myself in a position of certain liability. My understanding is that the FAA has no distinction between intentional and incorrect unless corrected voluntarily/quickly. I am acting on advice to either surrender and/or correspond with the FAA with medical records to correct the issue. Of course I would like to continue under CFI guidance, but if the general consensus were to abstain until the issue is resolved, that would be my position as well.

Last edited:
I had been advised by Dr. Bruce to send my documents and letter of explanation, doing exactly what he says as everyone on this board seems to suggest. Would it be better to coordinate it with my own AME? I realize that it's not a straightforward and fast process but I do believe my case is relatively so.

I would do what Dr. B says.

I hope this works out well for you.

I was briefly (10 days) exposed to a common anxiety meds (xanax) for grief after my brothers death. I have had to go through the whole HIMS and psych battery of tests. I have submitted the paperwork in Sept for SI and still waiting. The FAA is extremely busy and overwhelmed unfortunately so be patient.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back