Continue the Approach?

Too bad the autopilot couldn't land the plane. He missed the centerline.

The rain wasn't so bad.

I've beat all the paint off my prop leading edges flying in heavy rain. There are days when the rain is just in stratus and the ride is smooth. Perfect day for IMC ans some low(er) approaches. I don't see where the guy did anything wrong, he was ahead of the plane, broke out dead nuts on, landed smooth, what else do you want?

One thing is for sure, posting videos is a great way to learn more about flying. Unfortunately everybody becomes a super critic. It would be great if every critic had to post a video of their own, so everyone could rip them apart as well.

I personally dont see anything wrong with this guy's approach or IMC flight. He flew a smooth and stable approach and broke out about 400 ft agl, and did a safe landing. If he were vfr only then it would be a different story. The controller was pointing out some TS cells according to his radar, but he was there and deemed the situation safe and within his abilities. sometimes, nexrad tends to throw lies at you.

:dunno: Forgive me for asking, but isn't this why you get a rating? I've never flown in a Cirrus, but I saw nothing there to even prompt asking the question about completing the approach. It is not uncommon in that neck of the woods to get very heavy rain and a smooth ride. If you can't fly to published minimums, set your own personal limits of comfort and fly those, he broke out at 450AGL, no sweat.

:dunno: Forgive me for asking, but isn't this why you get a rating? I've never flown in a Cirrus, but I saw nothing there to even prompt asking the question about completing the approach. It is not uncommon in that neck of the woods to get very heavy rain and a smooth ride. If you can't fly to published minimums, set your own personal limits of comfort and fly those, he broke out at 450AGL, no sweat.

I think the question related to the weather, and if continuing the approach was wise. Agreed no biggie.

I think the question related to the weather, and if continuing the approach was wise. Agreed no biggie.

Exactly why I pointed out that heavy rain accompanied by a smooth ride is not uncommon in Florida. Once a cell has collapsed completely you often get some very smooth rides with an occasional bump here and there. The guy sitting on the approach chair was required to state the weather, and the pilot, who obviously was familiar with the area, responded with his ride report. IMHO if he had been getting hammered by turbulence in that rain and still continued, he would be going down a path that might not have been so wise..

He hit dead on the yellow line, harder to see and therefore harder to hit, the mark of a true pro:D

Looking out the window it looked fine. Looking at the NexRad (I think that's what was displayed) it looked pretty scary.

Actually that's a pretty good example of "flying it on" (kinda like a twin), which is how it's recommended in a short legged -22.

Actually that's a pretty good example of "flying it on" (kinda like a twin), which is how it's recommended in a short legged -22.

I think it is a little different, in a Cirrus, due to sight picture. In my last checkout flight, I finally got 5 or 6 good ones in a row, and I found that it really has to be flown by numbers, and then not over-flared (which had been the problem). And that wasn't so much because of a tail scrape as that Cirrus airplanes don't need to land as much nose-up as others.

At 3:48 the pilot slows the rate of descent by pulling up and reducing power.

At 3:55 there is a further reduction of power, and the pilot pulls up a couple of degrees more. And that's -it- for flaring. The rest of the landing consists of being patient, holding it there, and reducing remaining power.

I thought the touchdown was fine.

The NexRad picture was awful, and I think I would have elected to go somewhere else, though the actual weather wasn't so windy, and I didn't see any lightning.

You guys do realize that very heavy rain doesn't necessarily mean a rouge ride. If there is a shallow gradient from green to yellow to red, it usually means the worst that will happen is the water will chip off the paint.

I once flew through an area of orange (40-45 dbz) on the Nexrad and despite getting soaked, the ride was actually smooth as glass. No lightning within 30 nm and another PIREP of a smooth ride made the decision for me an easy one in my case.

On the other hand, I've chickened out and avoided building cumulus with tops in the 15-18K range even though (after the 10 min NEXRAD lag time) they weren't even showing and precip--or at the worst, light green returns.

Last edited:
Back