Continental o-470S in a Cessna 182

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello - Can you install an O-470S in a C-182? Need an STC? I'd appreciate the coaching.
—dan

It was standard equipment in the 1975 P model. The S is just an R engine with added oil squirt nozzles pointed at piston skirts. Applicability and how you'd qualify an installation would depend on what year your airframe is.

Could you put one in an A or B - pre 1960?
thanks

can you put one in an A or B... or pre 1960? And isn't it a good engine? Like 260 hp? THANKS

out of my pocketbook's normal operating range... I see engines from old 205 or 210s from time to time... kinda hoping I could put one in a 182 and have a nice engine for hauling, but not a big ol' airframe...

The S is a good engine. Maybe the best of the 470s. It rates at 230hp and like the R model the crank isn't applicable for Pponking. As far as putting it in an early airframe? I believe there are significant differences in the sump, induction, and exhaust so you'd need to talk to somebody who's done it. I've heard of 180 owners doing it so look for R model STCs for similar year 180s and maybe get a deviation approved for your 182 since it's essential a 180 anyway.

Last edited:
THANKS really helpful information. I appreciate it.

Back