Contemplating a bicycle trainer [NR][NA]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Today I just bagged my first bike ride ever because the smoke is so bad outside that you gag just standing in it, let alone exercising in it. Normally, it's never been an issue because I've always had an indoor gym on which to fall back. I may never have a gym again. So, I pretty much have to ride every day, or I get fat. I just ordered some masks purported to be capable of filtering smoke this morning, but I don't know how well those are going to work. They are intended for fitness use.

Which gets me thinking. As the winter draws close, the rain and the cold are going to be a limiting factor in riding, so I need to fall back on some sort of indoor cardio solution. Home use ellipticals tend to fall apart, commercial ellipticals are entirely out of budget, plus I have no room for a fixed machine. I had entertained the thought of buying a used commercial spin bike, but even those are pretty pricey, at least the decent ones. So I'm thinking of maybe getting one of those resistance trainers that you clamp on to the rear axle. Something like this looks pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Magnetic-Reduction-Quick-Release-Resistance/dp/B07YRPRRNH

It seems like that setup would put a lot of undue strain on the axle and rear frame members. Is this an issue? Are carbon frames okay?

There is another type that looks kind of intriguing, where you pedal on a roller assembly that lays flat on the ground. It looks like balance is involved, and the whole thing could go south in a hurry if you managed to creep off the rollers. Anybody use one?

Checking with long time bicycle freak friend who owns like twenty of the things. Will pass along insights.

I have a controllable trainer(Tacx) that Interfaces with Zwift(or other apps), but is the same like the one you posted. They have some much more expensive ones that replace the wheel entirely. Seems to work fine and no issues I can see but I can't answer part of the question since I don't have a carbon frame. Looks like their new model is called the 'Tacx Flow'

The hardest part of getting my wife's bike prepped for the trainer (I can't remember if hers is magnetic or fluid) was re-routing the speedometer magnets from the front wheel to the rear. It came with a new skewer that better fits better into the clamps on the trainer.

I'm pretty sure her brand is CycleOps, but when I looked online I only see Saris under that name now.

You might end up putting the front wheel on blocks or some other kind of stand since the rear wheel will be raised a few inches. She used it pretty hard for a few winters but we just don't ride any more.

I’ve ridden rollers on and off (see what I did there?) for years.
The secret is relaxation and going Zen - once you think about it things do tend to go South. Ive always had a setup with a near wall or rail to get up to cadence with. A light touch on bars is essential.
Someone like you who practices smooth and high cadence shouldn’t have a problem.
Do have a couple fans on ya tho.....you’ll pour sweat....and the sweat guard over the frame is needed.

.....my rollers are flat, I’ve seen where more modern iterations have a slight concavity to the rollers to help keep you centered.

I’ve used similar type trainers on a carbon Giant without issue. If I had it to do all over again, this style is probably what I’d go for. Most of the benefit of rollers without worrying about falling off.
c7d7aa5d0fcb2a9f98ee2126d83225ac.jpg

Sac, I bought something very similar to that, may have been that exact one. I mount my bicycle on it and I am really enjoying it. I've been using it several days a week for the past few months and so far, so good.

I even made a little desk for it so I can have my laptop down there while I'm biking, getting some work done or editing a video for my YouTube channel. :)

If you are talking about true rollers, they require balance as others have said. They also don't have a lot of resistance, so you don't get much benefit without a way to add it. In the old days, there were fans that attached to the seatpost. I could stand to do that for 30 minutes, but boredom would get the best of me.

Take a look at a Wahoo Kickr. Some $$, but can use Zwift as others have mentioned which can be more motivational. The resistance will change based on the virtual route you are riding, so if the route goes up a hill it gets harder. The resistance will drop if you draft behind another rider, also like real life. You can find virtual races at different levels, which again can add a bit of motivation if you are a competitive type. You use your bike, your gears. Front fork goes into a clamp, rear drops go over an axle on the Kickr. 2 minutes to change over.

Get a Peloton!

Those things start at $2,200, plus I don't have a spot to put one.

I'm thinking about the trainer, facing a large, blown up poster size rear view of a female rider. That, or a laptop running helmet cam Go Pros of the Tour de France. Or, a desk and a laptop to get some work done like Ted.

Yeah right, I'll probably watch endless reruns of NCIS Los Angeles, like I used to do every morning at the gym.

I'm thinking about the trainer, facing a large, blown up poster size rear view of a female rider.
That’s what I’d do. Gotta have some kind of motivation to get on the thing...

Tacx, NEO smart, which ever flavor of the smart that floats yer boat. Big bucks, but closest I have come to riding outdoors. Buy a Zwift subscription and you get uphills, downhills, you can even set it so you can feel the cobblestone pike just like the girl from Hoboken. Good stuff if you are serious about it. Otherwise a cheapo trainer will work.

Another wahoo kickr vote.
Nothing wrong with cyclops for a work out without technology

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2. Wasn't exactly looking for that exact model per se, but got it from a buddy for super cheap so I went with it. He had it for a few years and rode it pretty hard regularly, which may speak somewhat to it's durability/quality. I don't know if he ever repaired it or anything.

Works well enough. It's pretty much Forrest Gump... not a smart trainer, but it does what riding is.

Agree with others to have a fan. I just throw a small towel down over the frame for the drips. Tommy Chong style bandana helps too.
Also to help with the 'zen' I just watch TV and it keeps me distracted until I tucker out.
It does have a constant drone noise to it, so I turn the TV up and/or add captions and it's fine.
It can be annoying when you want or need really quiet...but, no bugs in the teeth, no traffic, no helmet, no people walking their dog without a leash, only wearing out one tire, etc., so, pro's with the cons.
I adjust the tension, then use gear up/down for some level of speed and difficulty.
No problems with balance, it's rock solid. Also use a folded up old throw to raise the front wheel.
Came with needed skewer, which by the way works perfectly fine when taking it on regular outdoor rides. I was worried for some reason.
Also added bluetooth cadence/speed sensors to connect with app on phone.

Doesn't anybody play outside anymore?

More adults these days than kids I'd say lol
I ride/walk/run outside the vast majority of the time.
It's the rain, ice, snow, and apparently smoke, where it really adds value. Or if you work days and ride at night. Or fly till dark and ride later :yes:

Doesn't anybody play outside anymore?
They flock out here to the coast where there is less smoke... and heat.

Really. I always thought there were more people running and biking around here than I had seen anywhere else. Now that gyms are closed, it seems as if there are even more. At least it doesn't seem too crowded because no tourists.

I walk and bike outside all the time. I've never liked gyms.

I agonized over all the choices and decided on the Kinetic Road machine:

Kinetic-Road-Machine.jpg

It has served me well and is not noisy...

The bike but got back to me Sac. He stopped using them. LOL. So much for that!

He said you’ll learn to ride smooth or die trying. Hahahaha.

Back