contacts for vision correction?

When I was wearing single focus contacts, the astigmatic correction was done by varying lens thickness (just like with glasses) and "weighting" the lense to keep the correction aligned,, not different corrections in concentric rings. And that's also how they do it with the toric multifocals with astigmatic correction -- they have to stay "upright" on my eye to work properly.

With a weighted lens, how long does it take to "correct" itself? In other words, if you put it in "upside down" how long does it take it to right itself?

Toric lenses have been around at least since the early 80's when I first started wearing contacts. From what I understood, the main disadvantage with them was always expense, and also I didn't think they were "weighted" back then, but I never heard that said directly, just that you had to be careful how you put them in. Just out of curiosity, how much more do they cost today as compared with sphericals?

Toric lenses have been around at least since the early 80's when I first started wearing contacts. From what I understood, the main disadvantage with them was always expense, and also I didn't think they were "weighted" back then,
Only ones needing weighting would be for astigmatic corretion, and that's a recent capability.

Just out of curiosity, how much more do they cost today as compared with sphericals?
I'm paying $400/year for toric multifocals with astigmatic correction.

I've always worn soft contacts, but in the last 2 years or so I've switched to soft daily wear lenses - I toss two individual packets in the flight bag, and there's my backup set of 'fresh eyes'.
I tried contacts when I was young but for whatever reason I had too much protein buildup and they were uncomfortable after a few months. I switched back to glasses for a number of years then tried the disposable contacts. Mine are technically extended wear but I take them out every night and I throw them away every few weeks. I haven't had any problem flying with them and I've never had one fall out accidentally. I do carry a spare set of glasses (and a spare package of lenses) but I've never had to use them. As far as my near vision goes, I can tell that it is not as good as it used to be, especially in low light. My eye doctor tells me that for now I should just use a pair of drugstore readers on top of my contacts if I think I need them. When I am wearing my glasses I can take them off and see close up just fine because I am naturally quite nearsighted.

Only ones needing weighting would be for astigmatic corretion, and that's a recent capability.
The astigmatic correction is a recent capability, or the weighting? The weighting, could very well be. But toric contact lenses have been around for at least 25 years... I can't prove it, but again, I discussed them with my first optometrist when I started wearing contacts. I never went back to him after my refractive surgery in '93.

I'm paying $400/year for toric multifocals with astigmatic correction.
That's only about twice what I'd be paying for sphericals if I needed correction on both eyes. So it's more, but not as bad as I thought (3-4 times more).

I was 45.
The mechanics are a little different with the toric multifocals, but the effect is that you have both distant and near vision, and you don't have to bob your head up and down to get it. You have that full range of focus throughout your field of vision, so you can see the overhead panel just as easily as looking out the front or reading the charts in your lap. Talk to a top quality optometrist (an O.D., not an optician) for advice.

Mine are not torics... but isnt' life grand to be able to see again like you were twenty... :D

I may have to brighten the lights for some stuff (like the numbers in the airport data blocks on sectionals), but that's it. Similar problem in dimly lit restaurants with the fine print on menus.
No problem with the computer at all.
It took several tries to achieve the necessary balance, but we got there eventually. FWIW, my eye doc says my eyes are most unusual, with a gigantic myopic correction in the right eye with a small astigmatic correction, but much smaller myopic correction in the left with a very large astigmatic correction. She says that by the book, I shouldn't be able fuse the image at all with either glasses or contacts, and because I can do both (and go back and forth with only moments of adaption time), she's thinking of doing a paper on me for presentation at an optometric conference.:crazy:

Also, my large astigmatic correction (over 2 diopters in the left eye) complicates the situation considerably when designing my multifocal contacts. Those without severe astigmatism should have a much easier time of it.

My corrections aren't anywhere near that large but my eyes are fairly different from each other. IIRC both have about 1 diopter of cylindrical correction and my right eye has a similar spherical correction but my left eye has almost no spherical correction for distance. The multifocals give me 20/20 (sometimes slightly better) distant vision but my near focus is set at 1.5-3 feet so for closer work I benefit from readers (1.5 works pretty well for a normal reading distance). I'm overdue for a visit to the OD and I think this time I'll push for more near correction and see if I can maintain 20/20 on distance.

Astigmatic toric multifocals are recent. Weighting for astigmatics has been around for many decades, dating back to the hard lens days.

JOOC, how does the toric axis stay aligned if not by weighting? Shaped to fit your cornea? My multifocals are RGP and they "correct" astigmatism by using tear to create a spherical surface on the cornea. One downside of that method is that it cannot correct some astigmatism all that well and cannot be adjusted.

JOOC, how does the toric axis stay aligned if not by weighting? Shaped to fit your cornea? My multifocals are RGP and they "correct" astigmatism by using tear to create a spherical surface on the cornea. One downside of that method is that it cannot correct some astigmatism all that well and cannot be adjusted.
Spherical soft lenses can "correct" small degrees of astigmatism the same way, including astigmatism that is not correctable with cylinder. I have a touch of leftover irregular astigmatism from my refractive surgery which is the reason I wear contacts for distance instead of glasses. It is slight enough that when my spherical correction is plano, it is completely unnoticeable and doesn't affect my ability to read eye charts, but uncorrect me to -1.00 or more and it bothers the heck out of me.

Just for the record, it might be that weighting has always been used for toric contacts. What gave me the impression that it was recent is that my first OD talked about how you had to use the notch to guide you during insertion. Even so I can't imagine that anyone could get it exactly aligned without a heck of a lot of work, so it makes sense that the lens had to be able to right itself after small perturbations and weighting is the simplest way to do that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back