Constant Speed Props

Mjg2011

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mjg2011
I’m about to start flying the piper arrow for commercial training and had a question about constant speed props. When doing maneuvers at my flight school I have heard that we do prop full forward. Can the propeller ever over speed at this setting or is the governor set to prevent this?

I’m about to start flying the piper arrow for commercial training and had a question about constant speed props. When doing maneuvers at my flight school I have heard that we do prop full forward. Can the propeller ever over speed at this setting or is the governor set to prevent this?
It would only overspeed if something broke. That’s the beauty of a constant speed.

Reactions: YKA
Of course the prop is full forward. It is the spinning thing at the front of the airplane. :rofl:

Sorry, Could not resist. Properly functioning the governor will prevent an over speed. Not sure why one would want to have the prop at high RPM for maneuvers.

Reactions: YKA
Of course the prop is full forward. It is the spinning thing at the front of the airplane. :rofl:

Sorry, Could not resist. Properly functioning the governor will prevent an over speed. Not sure why one would want to have the prop at high RPM for maneuvers.

For a Chandelle you certainly would.

Interesting. When I'm doing pattern work, I typically keep my prop at 2500 after the first takeoff. Then again I have 5500+ ft of runway too.

I have read of overspeed events secondary to low oil pressure after a negative g maneuver.

Back